Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
This entire video of me driving really really badly and nearly killing myself and plenty of other people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wsJLYdJKy4

Windscreen is tinted, sorry about the contrast.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

sigtrap posted:

Awesome street racing video, brah!

This wasn't the first time I posted it so I didn't realize it was against the rules, would posting the entire story have been better?

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 26, 2009

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

farcry posted:

pretty sure he is referring to the fact that because you are racing on open public roads you are a retard, especially if you do not have a lot of skill, experience and perfect knowledge of the roads you are driving.

If you are going to race do it on a track.

In my defense, it was a group ride that was announced on a forum, with speeds said to be "spirited" which I thought meant a steady pace at the time. I had no clue what I was getting into and I could barely keep up with them. They had to stop for me several times cause I fell behind.

Lesson is, instead of trying to keep up with these people I should have made a U-turn and just ditched them. Although they would have probably thought I crashed had I done this.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Scrapez posted:

I think anytime you're passing cars when there's a double yellow, you're not doing it right. That's just asking for it.

You're right.

I remember an incident where I was trying to drive my drunk friend back to her house, and I was riding on the freeway. When I came to a banked interchange I had to stop (it was banked real hard and I was scared that I was gonna tip and fall off). There had just been a drunk driver who crashed on it and flipped, with the entire road blocked off. Cars were backed up pretty far and after waiting 15 minutes impatiently I made a U-turn and went backwards on the freeway, then made another U-turn and went on a different interchange, with a passenger on the back. I had nothing to drink that night since I was driving, but looking back on it for the past year I can't believe I actually decided to do that.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Gullous posted:

Can you elaborate on this "backwards on the freeway" thing?

Click here for the full 1575x470 image.

I went with the flow of traffic, but then it stopped completely dead and I waited for 15 minutes where the green line ends.

Click here for the full 1575x470 image.

Then I made a U-turn and went a different route instead of the one I originally went. It was 1 A.M. when I did this.

I guess it felt more banked that night, since I almost dropped the bike, than how google maps portrays it. Also I crossed over where the yellow object is in that google maps picture, across the solid white lines.

Gullous posted:

Two years ago I was riding north on highway 1 on the California coast. At one point the road transitions from the coast and into the mountains. After 100 miles of mellow sweepers with good visibility the road suddenly turned into the woods in a much harder right than I'd been expecting. I spaced out and lock the rear, nearly blowing the turn into some trees. I got off the brakes and made the turn, but I crossed the double yellow. It wouldn't have been a bad wreck, but we were a 1000 miles from home, and a good distance from civilization too.

My mistake was riding for too long. My buddy and I were riding 15 hour days for 6 days...

Was this before or after the golden gate bridge? Cause I know of that area pretty well.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

shipwrek posted:

I don't preach on just any little event but here I have too, being that this is a pet peeve of mine. I am good seeing people ride day to day in a half decent jacket. I am good seeing people ride day to day in a decent pair of jeans. I am even good seeing people ride day to day wearing somewhat less than a full helmet. There is; INHO, never EVER a good time to ride in shorts and a shirt. This immediately qualifies you as a squid and/or organ donour. This is made worse by the fact that you are within walking distance of your destination. Please make sure that you make a skid mark of yourself somewhere thats not going to create traffic for me.

The guy who owned my CBR told me a story about how he raced another guy in a full leather suit at speeds over 170mph on straightaways, and 140mph in turns over devil's slide (freeway borders a huge cliff drop into the pacific) in Pacifica. He was wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I still haven't gotten comfortable with sliding the rear tire on a literbike. It frightens me that I am gonna high side every time.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
During the middle of the day, around 12:30PM, I got tunnel vision and ran through a red light at 110MPH near a school district while children and cars were going across. Jaywalking is extremely common so I thought they were jaywalking, and the cars I didn't think about. Usually I am extremely adamant about red lights and stopping for yellows, I can't explain how I didn't see the red.

I am fine but I could have killed plenty of people had I not been so lucky. Been driving the speed limit for the last few days ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Was riding in a large group ride (70-150 bikes) and I was with the front 10 people being the most hooligan, such as syphoning between cars at high speed, accelerating and braking hard, etc.

I tried to pass a car over the double yellow (30-45 mph), but I chose the worst spot to do it and ended up hitting these bumps that are made to stop drivers from hitting the center divider I guess, although there was none to be seen. My wheel was turning to the extreme in both directions and I was being bounced up in the air. 4 people behind me said it looked like I was a cowboy riding a bull. To top it off there was a stop sign ahead and people were slowing down, so while doing all this I had to somehow slowdown and stop.

Luckily it all worked out and the bike stayed upright and I made it out fine, the rider in front of me running the stop sign and not fully stopping helped a lot. At the next red light someone drove up next to me and said "DUDE! YOU ALMOST ATE poo poo BACK THERE! HOLY COW!!" The whole thing is funny to me though, like something you'd see in a comedy.

Edit: I was riding an 08' CBR1000 with stiff track suspension setup.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 28, 2010

• Locked thread