Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Spiffness posted:

That's the sort of thing you'd do for fun on a supermoto

Imagine if he actually bought a supermoto, unparalleled hoonery :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

invision posted:

There is a huge piece of loving PLYWOOD sitting in the middle of the lane that I was just in. The Camry straddles it, and as soon as the car passed over it, the board stood almost straight up and the poor Audi that was where I had been a few seconds ago smashed into it going about 60.

:aaa:

That's some hosed up stuff right there. Poor Audi driver, you're extremely lucky not to have hit that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

It is really hard to not lock up your rear under heavy braking because all the weight is transferred to the front wheel. I mostly won't touch my rear brake, even for hard stops. If I do use it, it's a very light application.

I was taught to start out with the rear brake to load the front and smoothly transfer to the front brake so I was completely off the rear brake once fully on the front.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KARMA! posted:

Rear brake used:

Also when stopped at a light. If you get hit from behind and you're hard on the front brake, you risk flipping over. If you're hard on the rear brake, you'll mostly just skid.

As was unfortunately verified by a friend of mine a few years back.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:science: IT'S ALIVE!

Had a bit of a close one yesterday.

On a right turn from a main road to a small side road, I was going maybe 20-30kph when I hit a bit of gravel right at the apex. I had actually spotted the gravel, but dumb as I was I figured that I'd hit the very edge of it and be mostly on the asphalt.

The rear tire lost all traction, kicked once to the left, once to the right and I was ok, narrowly missing a car on the other side of the road. Once I unclenched and my buttcheeks gave up their deathgrip on the seat, I rode another 100km in a slightly more sedate and much more eagle-eyed style.

I'm just glad the Bandit is so forgiving and mild-mannered, no bike suffers fools gladly, but where some kill you instantly, some just go "sheesh, beginners :rolleyes:"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saga posted:

Strangely enough, I saw a dog with a truck full of gravel wielding a shovel near that very spot yesterday.

I wonder if there's any connection between these events?

GOOOOOOON RAAAAAAAGE :argh:

(Actually, I think it was the dickbag in the Saab who tried to cut me off a couple of times. He looked like a shifty sort of person)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

With decent rubber on a supermoto, you're not very likely to to break the front loose before the rear lifts, especially if you apply the brakes properly instead of just jamming them full-force.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

-I'm used to blowing off that yellow, so when I saw the light turn I accelerated harder. It struck me as illogical that the Yaris would do any differently.

In other words, you're an idiot.

I'm sorry, but that's the honest truth. Never assume and don't blow through yellows where you can easily stop instead. Rear-end collisions are the the fault of the rear-most guy 99,9% of the time.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dial M for MURDER posted:

For me, I would rather dash through a yellow (assuming its clear in front of me)than get rear ended. I think it's better to avoid an accident than be right.

But then you'll be t-boned by the jerkbag jumping the light.

I try to never go too fast to be able to stop for a yellow. Usually when I think "phew, I just made it through that one", 4 or 5 cars follow me across :eng99:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've stopped hard enough for a yellow that the car behind me had to panic brake so hard, it put on the hazards automatically and I could hear the tires squealing.

Probably happened because I overtook him at a reasonably high rate of speed and he floored it for some reason. Trying to cut me off or wanting to teach me a lesson whatever, I don't know. That was quite a butt-puckering moment.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

Edit: I'm going to strike this from the record.

I presume you were calling me out as an idiot after I'd done the same to you. All's fair :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

I know Kozmonaut IRL, and I can pretty much guarantee that there's absolutely nothing cool about him whatsoever.

Listen to this man. He speaks the truth, for once.

Cornelius, you'll be delighted to hear that I have diagnosed the previous owner of my bike as a bit of a goddamn idiot. It pertains to his ridiculous bodge-job where the centerstand rests against the swingarm and gets rubbed to bits. 100% his design and not how Suzuki meant for it to be.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well gently caress.

I know it doesn't really count since there was no almost crash, but this is the most fitting thread.

I was stopped by an unmarked patrol car today, for overtaking on a double line. As the very friendly mr. Police Officer showed me his amateur videos of me, he pointed out that I had been going significantly over the speed limit, as well. Goddammit.

The video will be looked over by police experts and they'll conclude if I was over the double lines for more than 100m and whether my average speed was over 128kph. Each of those are worth 1 point and since I already have 1, it's a conditional loss of my driver's license and I'll have to take a written and practical driving test again if I'm found guilty of both offenses.

I have to hand it to the police officer, he was very friendly and didn't mind answering my questions at all on how the system worked and what his personal assessment of the situation was. Then he gave me the standard lecture about how this could save my life etc.. And that drat unmarked car, it had kids' toys in the windows and everything, very nicely camouflaged.

But he was talking about how this could turn into a an unconditional loss of my driver's license for 6 months and from looking through the relevant pages in the police's own information, I cannot see how he would figure that.

According to their own material, I would have to have gotten 6 points within 3 years (not applicable), have had my license for less than three years and gotten 4 points within than period (not applicable, since it'll be 3 points total), and I've never lost my driver's license before or driven drunk.

Anyway, he promised to call me as soon as the results were in, I'll be sure to grill him for information then.

Goddammit :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

100m I could understand, but passing over a DY at >80mph? That's a bit fast for such monkeyshines. What's your side of the story?

I sped up after crossing back over the line into my own lane again.

The double line thing was because I didn't get back into my own lane before the double lines began.

I just read through the material and I could actually be looking at an unconditional loss of driver's license, since the two offenses give points and by getting three points, that's a conditional loss. Going more than 60% over the limit is an conditional loss as well. Two or more conditional losses means unconditional loss.

gently caress.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

Okay, that's more reasonable. Still, sucks.

"Sucks" doesn't quite encapsulate it.

I'll lose my license for 6 whole months. That means I can't drive or ride until November! :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I can't even remember, how long did Ola lose his license for? 6 months?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

Get yourself some rimtape and some spiked bolts and go all Mootmoot during your state-imposed driving probation.

Edit: Either that, or trackdays!

I actually ordered some nice-looking bar end mirrors before I got on the bike today.

How would I transport my bike to the track?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

You know, I know someone who lost his license for a while and he hasn't ever been stopped since, meaning that his time without a license was more of a "3 months being really REALLY paranoid everytime he saw a cop car" kind of time.

Not that I'd recommend anyone to break the law or anything, but are you really a worse rider because the state wants to punish you? How many times have you been stopped and have had to show your license before this? Just asking.

Precisely none.

I have two speeding tickets, both from automated cameras. One for 70kph in a 50kph and one for 58kph in a 50kph.

But I have never been pulled over before.

And I am not going to be driving around without a license. That's an instant "lose your license for a long time and if we catch you again you go to jail" when they catch you.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bloody Queef posted:

I'm going to be a dick here. But if you ride like that you probably should lose your license.

I started overtaking across dashed lines and didn't quite get back over before the double lines started. I was going maybe 90-100kph during overtaking. The double lines were there because a left turn lane was coming up (they like to start the double lines well in advance here).

I sped up after I got back in my own lane.

As I could see on his video, the police officer actually went the wrong way around a traffic island in his eagerness to catch up to me, since he had been help up by the same traffic I was overtaking. According to his video he sped up to over 150kph in order to catch up because of that. So I think he was actually going faster than I was at any point.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 22, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shimrod posted:

You're Australian aren't you? If that cop shows that video he'll get in poo poo - max speed allowed for chases (and they have to be approved to even start) or anything police related is 140km/h. Jokes on him!

Denmark. I don't think we have any rules regarding maximum pursuit speeds, other than "keep it relatively safe".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

But if I read this correctly, some very dull people at the police are going to give the tape a quick glance, and if they think Kozmo averaged more than 128 kph his license is suspended. And since Kozmo himself says he only did about 90-100 kph, this should all be over soon. :)

Very dull people indeed. They probably have protractors and pocket protectors and they're going to be calculating frame counts, distances and stuff.

They way the video speed measuring system usually works is that the policeman presses at button when the car in front is at a fixed point, then he presses the button again when he's at that same fixed point himself. He does this again with another fixed point further up the road, and the system outputs an average speed for the car in front.

In my case, the policeman didn't have a measured speed to confront me with (due to getting held up by traffic), so the dull people will have to go to work.

I still maintain that I wasn't putting anyone in danger and that the road was completely empty except for myself and the three cars I had just overtaken.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saga posted:

iv) Optional: in your spare time, plan and implement a campaign of hostile forums posting directed at anyone who points out your error

I don't care about that bit. They weren't there anyway. Besides, Cornelius will back me up that you can do 150kph on that road no problem. It's all gentle bends and great visibility everywhere.

Current plan is to sell the car (to get rid of some annoying debt) and see what happens. Won't kill the Bandit to sit for a couple of months.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It turns out that I was indeed a dummy, but not as big a dummy as I feared.

I've been charged with being over a double line for 90 meters, the limit for a conditional loss of license is 100m. So I dodged that one with +1 point on my license and a ~$350 fine.

I've also been charged with speeding, 120kph on a 80kph road, 50% over the limit. Conditional loss of license happens at 128kph (60%). So that's +1 point on my license and a ~$500 fine.

The end result is a ~$850 fine and a total of 3 points on my license. This results in a conditional loss of my driver's license and means that I have to pass a written test and a practical driving test within 3 months or lose my license. These are the same tests I took when I originally got my license, and will be taken in a car.

It could have been so much worse.

As an aside, Cornelius informed me that he had personally tested the very same road at 225kph and found it no problem. I'll leave the conclusion up to you.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 6, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Z3n posted:

Call me heartless, but I only really care about the last. Mikemo, glad your father in law was ok, rampant stupidity aside!

That's how I feel as well, I don't think it's heartless at all.

If they break it, they buy it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

If you can find somebody (preferably some older guy with a weak heart) loaded with cash and willing to take a test ride on an almost mint RD500YPVS, I'd like to test how well a 600 Bandit handles a few Evel Knievel stunts.

I have a list of bikes that I would consider reasonable trades for my Bandit and the phone numbers for a large and diverse group of kickboxing, BJJ and MMA enthusiasts, in case of any such shenanigans.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mootmoot posted:

Written off brah. With personal injury claim monies going on I'm going to get something with more grunt. They don't make 675Rs in red yet so it'll be an upgrade.

That's the ticket. More grunt should definitely help keep you upright in the future. Gyroscopic effect and all that.

Gyroscopic effect is a lie

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'd rather if he just maimed himself. It would save him a lot of tedious reading.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ziploc posted:

I've always wondered if revving actually does anything.

~138dB aftermarket horns work so much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItWBJ69VzW8

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 5, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

goddamnedtwisto posted:

People doing stupid poo poo to stop bikes filtering seems to be getting more and more common and I just can't put myself in the head of someone who would endanger someone elses life out of such petty loving jealousy.

It's just part of the increasing rise in egocentrism in the western world. "Don't tread on me, but STFU about me treading on you, it's my right to do so!"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saga posted:

There are a couple of cars I inevitably run into on my commute who do 40 in a 60 unless you try to legally pass them, at which point they go all Cole Trickle up in that bitch and keep the "hammer down" to the extent of risking a head-on collision. And then they go back to crawling along at 40. When I'm on the Tuono that tactic doesn't work so well and I can happily ignore them.

Back when I had the Panda, I dreaded running into people like this. Now that I have an additional 90hp and 75nm, it's not nearly as bad. Of course it's no problem at all on the Bandit, just drop a couple of cogs, give it a twist, and they're way behind me.

It's still reckless endangerment and around here will cost you 1 out of the 3 total points on your license, plus a hefty fine. It's such a massive dick move and should be punished accordingly.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

deliverator posted:

This happened last Sunday. Other Seattle-area riders will know exactly the road and even the corner I'm talking about here. High Bridge Road, heading south from Hwy 522. They've recently been performing "chip-sealing" on this stretch, which I gather is some kind of treatment in which they take a perfectly good road and gently caress it up.

If it's done right, chip sealing just gives you a mediocre, but cheap surface for low-traffic roads. "Done right" means using enough bitumen and no more aggregate than the bitumen will hold. It also means rolling down the aggregate properly. gently caress up any of those parameters (as underpaid, overworked road workers are wont to do) and you can end up with a top layer consisting of loose aggregate. This is absolute murder on windshields and hellish for motorcyclists, as you've discovered.

I've even seen roads where they didn't bother to roll down the aggregate. I think the idea was that the cars would do it instead, but gently caress trying to ride anything with two wheels on that poo poo.

Wulframn posted:

Another one I've noticed is that I dare not hug the inside line of my lane too closely. Normally I ride in the middle of the lane unless I'm avoiding a surface hazard; but I also ride the inner line of my lane if I suspect the guy in front of me doesn't know I'm behind them. I'll pull to the left as far as I can in my lane so they can see me in their outside driver's side mirror and in their inside rear-view mirror and, if they still don't seem to see me, I will flash my high beam once to catch their eye. This has been very effective.

You really should be riding in the wheel tracks left by cars as much as possible. The middle of the lane is where cars will drip various fluids, so try not to stay there too much, especially if it's just started raining. Go for the left wheel track most of the time, you'll be a big enough presence in your lane that people generally won't try anything stupid, and you're visible in the mirrors of the car in front.

Another benefit is that if the driver in front of you is even slightly awake, they will instinctively avoid any potholes with their left wheels. If you were in the middle of the lane, you run a much higher risk of hitting the potholes that go right under the middle of cars.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm not going to comment on the general philosophy of this (and Halo I see you're using past tense here) but if you're gonna be a stickler for limits, be aware many bike speedos are off by 5-10% high, and constantly driving under the speed limit in traffic is a surefire way to generate road rage.

Cars are like this, too. With my car's speedo at 90kph, I'm actually doing 85kph according to GPS and those roadside signs that flash your speed as you go by them.

The speedo on my Bandit is much more precise, according to those same signs.

People who can't abide other people driving at the speed limit according to their speedometer are jerkbags and ought to be shot on sight. Odds are they're maaaaybe 1kph slower than the speed limit on the road rager's speedometer and seriously, getting angry at that is petty as all hell. The real issue is that a lot of people consider it their GOD-GIVEN RIGHT to speed at least 10-20kph everywhere.

I usually go 90kph on my speedo in 80kph zones and so on, but it's not like I start raging if I have to drive behind someone going exactly 80kph according to their speedo.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 3, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Halo_4am posted:

IIRC they are +/- 5% not just -. Though manufacturers these days tend to force the low side because when they're actually reading faster than you are going it artificially increases the odometer, and there have been some class action suits around that.

Legally, a speedometer must never show a slower speed than the car is actually going. If it shows 80 and you're actually going 85, that's a HUGE liability issue, with people actually breaking the law despite trusting the speedometer. Much better to have it a tiny bit too high.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Xovaan posted:

Ponies is right. Always expect cars to pull in front of you like that. There's nothing wrong with leaving extra gaps between cars, and getting into the habit of leaving enough room for cars to merge in front of you is actually something that may save your life one day. (It saved my rear end multiple times so far)

Leaving safe following distance is essential, even more so if you're on a bike. Generally, a car can out-brake just about any bike, especially a bike without ABS.

It helps other people merge safely and it leaves you more room for braking and evasive maneuvers.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

AncientTV posted:

Had a couple words with a lovely teenager last night after he almost pulled out in front of me from a stop, resulting in me having to weave around his car. I went something like this:
"Hey man, try and keep a better eye out next time. That's the most common way cars kill motorcyclists."
"gently caress you human being, you wanna go?"
I snapped my visor shut and rode off while listening to his alpha calls of "That's right, ride off bitch!"

I've taught myself to keep cool, but that doesn't seem to work any better than being mad at people :smith:

I had an oblivious idiot pull right across in front of me with his brakes on today, to get from the left lane to the gas station on the right. I had to brake hard and dodge to the left. I blared the horn right behind his car. The horn on my bike is pretty loud, but he didn't even turn his head in my direction after pulling in to the gas station, he never even noticed me.

Looked over at him, he had white earbuds in his ears :argh:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 28, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah, I don't get it. Why didn't he just shoot you for trespassing?

Getting shot may be a bit much, but if you pull something like that on the wrong mechanic around here, you'll be picking up your teeth with broken fingers.

Lots of them are (former) outlaw bikers though, so if it's for a bike, it might be OK, as long as it's not some jap crap rice rocket or something.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ArbitraryTA posted:

I -really- need to replace the headlamp on my bike
I would have hit the deer straight on at 45 with only a helmet on for protection.

Get that headlamp replaced ASAP, and get some gear. You were really lucky, but you can't always rely on luck to save your rear end.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phy posted:

Only if it was still a single cylinder. Just a monstrous fuckoff piston, chugging slow enough you could dance to it.

The ultimate thumper.

Well, there's that insane 2000cc home built thing, but that's just silly.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I love the tiny little twisty country back roads that I've been finding lately, but I hate the stupid 90 degree turns out of loving nowhere, especially the blind ones. And the ones with gravel all over them.

Twice today I target fixated like a total dumbass on blind corners. So yeah, I should probably slow the gently caress down for those.

And then some colossal fuckup had spilled diesel all over the gas station I stopped at, which was fun*.

*totally not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

100% justified :wtf:

• Locked thread