Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
my story is best.

i almost hit a wild turkey with my face while going 55 through the adirondacks.

one turkey ran across the road ahead of me, i wasn't thinking too well and it didn't occur to me that they usually travel in groups, so i held the throttle on. then the other came up behind him, saw me coming, and started flying, which i've never seen a turkey do. he flew up about 3-4 feet just as i went by and ducked my head to the left. didn't even have time to hit the brakes. he was right at head height and went by close enough that i felt the wind from him on my shoulder.

gently caress turkeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

My parents are visiting for a while and they are petrified by the motorcycle thing, so I'm not going to ride it while they're around. :v:
Have they seen all your gear? And you took the BRC, right? Most non-bike people (and sadly most bike people too) have never heard of that poo poo, and I think if you show them the lengths to which you've gone in the pursuit of safety, they'll be impressed. Might change some minds.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Well it is a good way to stop a skateboard I guess?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
OK I'll bite. "Cargo cult"?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
No, what the hell is a "cargo cult"?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Verge posted:

Wheel bearings? I had that once on an older bike.
Did it prevent you from making a successful pass?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
As someone who hates anime, I'm glad to learn you can get probated for that.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

You mean a traffic circle?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I came a foot or so away from taking a turkey to the face at 50 mph a few years back. Felt the wind from it as it passed my shoulder. Fukken birds man.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Shimrod posted:

I kneed a noisy minor in the face at 100~ mid corner the other day.
You're a monster, who kicks children in the head just because they're being too loud? Bikers are the worst people.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Verge posted:

zen told me to get an sv so i did then crashed it
Way to go z3n.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

I did a similar thing in my car when I was learning to drive (went from 5th to 2nd instead of 5th to 4th) and only bad thing to happen was the water pump spun so fast that the overpressure blew out a freeze plug and dumped all of the coolant.
That's a new one to me. Is this a thing? Are you sure you weren't just driving a lovely car? BMW cooling system?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Well the one thing I noticed that could have been done better is not locking up the rear. You might have been able to put more braking force on the front than the rear which would have stopped you quicker. But that does look like one of those situations you can't really prepare for. Maybe a little more space between you and the car in front would be it. I would wager that if you did hit one of those cars in front of you, you would have slowed down enough already that it wouldn't have been a catastrophic accident, so all in all you did about the best you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nsaP posted:

One time I talked about the times I ran from the cops and I got probated but IOC hated me and I don't think we have any oversight anymore so keep the stories coming.

Both of mine were on a Ninja 250 too so don't let anyone tell you they're slow.
I have to say, if you're going to do illegal poo poo and run from cops, doing it on a Ninja 250 is about the most respectable way to do it. It's a bit harder to turn up a nose at that.

• Locked thread