Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Was riding up in the mountains this afternoon scrubbing in a new set of tires. Came out of a blind corner doing about 80-90 and shortly thereafter was greeted by a SUV crawling by at loving 20 miles per hour (the road was straight for the next 1/2 mile). It took a second for me to register just how slow he was going so I was VERY fast approaching the rear end end of this tank. I was prepared to cut the DY and go around him on the left (there was oncoming traffic but I could have squeezed by) but fortunately supersport brakes are a-loving-mazing so I did slow down in time.

Slowly starting to move away from street riding..even though I can't afford it. Blah. Stay safe kids. Always practice your emergency braking. I would have been hosed if I had panic braked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

The only time I'll touch my rear brake is at speeds <15mph or if I'm doing some sportbike offroading.

Crayvex posted:

I had a similar experience Friday night. I was riding in rush hour traffic and in the dark. I had quite a gap between me and the cars in front of me. I got on the throttle and noticed brake lights. Everyone rides their god drat brakes in Michigan so I just figured they were slowing down. Nope, there was a whole gaggle of cars at a complete stop. I hit both brakes for panic stop and I hit the rear brake a little too hard and locked it up. Stayed on the back brake and pumped the front brake and kept it all upright and didn't hit anyone or anything. drat that rear brake is touchy on my R6!
Similar situation happened to me a while back. I wound up pulling an endo on a ninja 250 :v:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

One of the ways that I often take to get home involves me taking a left hand turn into a neighborhood in the middle of a 4 lane road (2 in each direction). There's no traffic light or anything, and it's a 45mph posted limit. I'm always sketched out about being rear ended there, especially now that I have LED's in my tail which aren't as visible as OEM. I'm basically in the habit of constantly checking my mirriors, flashing the hell out of my brake light, and being ready to launch the bike if it looks like someone isn't going to stop.

To add content to the thread topic, apparently my bike decided it wasn't happy with me being on it today. I was coming home from work and was slowing down as I approached a left turn lane. I was looking a couple of lanes over because I thought I saw someone I knew, and apparently there was a huge slick of antifreeze in my path of travel. Obviously didn't see this, and even though I was barely on the front brake, it was enough to tuck the front. I was probably going 15-20mph at the time so I don't really consider it a crash. I'd say it was moreso that the bike kind of fell onto its side. Clutched in once I knew it was going down and picked it right back up without even stalling the bike. I'd say the whole process of moving->on ground->moving was about 5 seconds total. People probably thought I was an idiot.

Just goes to show that poo poo can happen at any time, and even the shortest lapse in attention will bite you in the rear end.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Makes it so I don't have to touch my tail section at all when I'm going to the track. I don't really subscribe to the idea that higher visibility really helps much as far as safety goes. I've seen people in full hi-vis gear and reflective tape all over get taken out because the person in the car simply didn't look at all. I prefer to ride with the mindset that everyone is going to do the most retarded thing possible and plan my escape routes accordingly.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Sure, you still have to be prepared because having bright lights doesn't change the fact that people can still be oblivious fuckheads, but surely dimmer lights just decrease the chances of being seen even further. Being the brightest active light source in someone's field of view certainly can't hurt. Stand by for the update when I am rear-ended due to the driver behind me being dazzled. :P

Did you make those yourself?
Definitely -- having brighter lights won't do anything except help you. It's just that in my case I feel that the tradeoff of having slightly dimmer lights for a gain of extra convenience is worth it.

They're LED strips, I drilled each hole individually and popped them in.

Details and pics are in my project thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3388968

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

It's funny, 5 of the 6 people I work with (counting myself) have all crashed in the past year. Two track lowsides, one mountain lowside, one street highside, and the other crash I'm not sure what happened. No one I know has even gotten a scrape or bruise.

Yet I had a friend die in a car accident last year. :sigh:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Yes, always scan for debris. Just make sure not to target fixate when you do eventually come across something. As an aside, try to get out of the habit of stomping your foot down like that ASAP. I instinctively did that a couple of times when I first started riding; nearly broke my ankle when I did it one time at about 45mph when I hit a patch of gravel up in the mountains. If you just let the bike do its thing and don't panic it will recover most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Was it a non o-ring chain? One of the kids at Jennings when I went last month had a brand new non o-ring RK on his SV650. They were having to adjust the tension after every session. Eventually the chain came off mid-session about halfway through the day. Granted this was on a track, but the bike wasn't being ridden that hard.

• Locked thread