Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I was a dummy today. I dared to touch the rear brake in the middle of a HUGE Texas rainstorm. I proceeded to lock up the rear wheel completely, slide the back side of the bike all over the lane back and forth a few times, stall it somehow :confused: and end up remembering my MSF training to get the bike straight before letting off that rear brake. I kept that fucker upright.

I then took a minute at the side of the road to catch my breath, check bike, and check myself before continuing on my way. I've been riding for 2 months now, and this is the scariest thing I've ever had happen. Next time I think I'll stay in with Hurricane-thrown rainstorms out there. I even dared to get on the freeway a bit, people were doing 20mph through half-inch deep water across the whole thing.

I was glad I was in full gear, but it still would have hurt a hell of a lot if I fell over. I'm proud to have kept it upright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

quote:

You stalled the bike because you had the clutch out and the rear wheel was locked up, causing the engine to stop as well. That's something that most people don't get the chance to reflect on, haha.

Glad you made it through safely, and trust me when I say, it'll get better...someday you'll love riding in the rain for the challenge it presents :)

I guess that must have been what happened. I came to a controlled stop on the shoulder of the road with the clutch pulled in, so I guess at some point I must have pulled it in, but not before the thing stalled. I really didn't have much time to notice very little thing I was doing.

I'm not averse to riding in rain, but I think I won't go out when it is that heavy often. I can't find out how much rain fell yesterday, but I did find out later that evening that I had rode through a flash flood warning. We're getting it dumped on us.

I'm just glad that Austin isn't further south, I'm seeing 6" to 12" rain predicted in south Texas because of the hurricane.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I'd like to echo the general rear brake hatred that has been going around, I hit a slick oil spot while braking moderately descending a hill and it was enough to break the rear loose for a bit. I kept things in line, but I'm going to be in the "rear brake only when stopped / 10mph" crew from here on out.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Bondematt posted:

I don't even know what a two way feeder is, as in a 2 lanes perpendicular to a freeway and the split right before it or something? Internet is being useless

Also called a "two way frontage road." Instead of two one-way roads on opposite sides of the highway that move with the direction of traffic, you now need to cross a lane of oncoming traffic to get to the freeway onramp or to get off of the freeway. They are a terrible, terrible invention.

• Locked thread