Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

Jabs posted:

I turned around and spread my arms wide with a flourish... "TADAAAAAA!"

I need to keep this in mind for when I eventually dump my bike, as it will probably happen in public and with people around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

Marv Hushman posted:

Gut-wrenching front wobble that I wish I could deconstruct for the benefit of future generations. All I can say is: no matter how matted and decayed that poor bastard looks, assume it's a pile of goo that will send you straight into the cheap seats.

That's yucky. I fastidiously avoid roadkill. If I were to crash into/on roadkill, I would probably have to set myself on fire.

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010
Yesterday, Tsaven Nava and I were riding from Milwaukee to Chicago together. About halfway, we stopped for gas and swapped bikes. Mine is a streetfightered Ninja 250, his is a wee-strom (I'd post a picture, but I'm gooning at work). Which I'd never ridden before. I'd actually never ridden anything aside from my ninja. Surprisingly, this is not the cause of my almost-crash, despite being terrified I'd accelerate right into the gas station.

So we get back on the freeway. I end up behind a pick-up truck with crap in the back. I'd been behind him for awhile, and nothing was shifting or moving around. When all of a sudden, a giant black garbage bag flies out of the back of the truck, and plasters itself to my windshield and front fairing. The fuckhead in the truck never even noticed (although he also hadn't noticed his turn signal had been on for a couple miles). Luckily, the bag wrapped itself around the windshield and didn't budge, and I'm tall enough to see over the windshield, so I had no problem finding a good place to pull over and grab it.

I am SO. GLAD. I was on Tsaven's bike. My bike doesn't have a windshield, front fairing, or hand guards, and the bag would have smacked right into my head and/or hands on a moderately busy freeway and I'd probably have crashed.

modify_evolution fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 12, 2010

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

Synonamess Botch posted:

Nice job on keeping your cool. Relatedly, how do you like the v-strom?

Thanks. I like it a lot- the only issues I had were the shifter being adjusted for Tsaven, and the weight being balanced differently than my ninja. I'm used to being able to manhandle my bike around with my legs and hips when it's not moving (I once prevented dropping my bike on wet grass by just standing up), and I definitely can't do that with the strom. But. ACTUAL ACCELERATION POWER. Plus, I have really long legs (32" inseam or something like that), so not being all folded up on the Ninja was nice. It felt like I was riding a cushy chair down the freeway. A fast cushy chair.

Scrapez posted:

Glad you weren't hurt from the flying debris. That's scary.
That is one of my biggest concerns when I'm out on the interstate.

Z3n posted:

I never EVER hang out behind trucks, no matter how well their load is secured, because of stories like this...
Hell, most of riding safe could be summed up in picking up on stuff like that.

Yeah, honestly, it was weird. That's been one of my big concerns since I started being aware of things outside the car, despite having never had that happen to me before despite an illogical amount of car driving in the past, and I think I just got distracted. But I don't know. I have awful short-term memory, so it's already reduced itself to "thwapped with a trash bag on the freeway. Rusty pick-up truck was involved." I dunno. And I don't know what Tsaven saw pre-thwapping. But seriously, lesson learned. Not an illogical fear, can actually happen.

modify_evolution fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 12, 2010

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010
I was wondering when I'd do something stupid with my new bike...

I was coming up to a stop light today on my way to work (so of course this means I spent the first half of my shift trying to unclench my butt cheeks), and the light turned yellow. I had just enough room to brake, and noticed there was a cop car stopped at the other side of the intersection. I started braking kind of hard, and hit oil. My bike went all over the loving place, and I reacted by grabbing a big old handful of brake because ohmygod!brain thought avoiding a ticket was the most important thing here. I somehow kept the bike upright, and stopped right before the pedestrian crossing area. I braked so hard my bike shut off. And then, since I was kind of stunned and freaked out, I forgot that I hadn't kicked my bike back down into 1st yet, and tried to get going in 3rd. GO ME.

Plan: More emergency brake practice so I don't react to problems with fist full of brake. And obviously could have been avoided if I'd noticed the oil; I had room next to me to get into the other lane.

modify_evolution fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 27, 2012

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

KARMA! posted:

You mean you forgot to clutch in?

:blush: It's entirely possible my hand slipped off or something and I didn't notice. Because once I was actually at a stop, both hands had death grips on the clutch/brake, and my bike was off. With normal braking, I've definitely got the clutch part down, and since this started off as a normal stop, I'd assume I was fine at that point.

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010
...I slowly and awkwardly dropped my bike on myself in a parking lot today. My foot slipped as I was putting it down, and I'm pretty sure I flailed all my limbs like an upside-down turtle until I fell over. Luckily, someone was there to witness my embarrassment, because I ended up pinned between my bike and a car, and she had to pull the bike off me enough for me to wiggle out before I could push it back up.
Adding insult to injury, I'm anemic, so my legs and hips look like a war zone, and all I can say is "Hurr durr, I dropped my bike on myself."
:sigh:

(Everything on the bike's fine. Because I cleverly used my body to pad the fall.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one.

And hey, at least I didn't do any damage to the car I fell into. Because I fell into it. Not my bike.
And at least it wasn't a parking lot off a stupidly busy intersection so tons of people could see me and drive past laughing...not that that happened or anything. My poor ego. It's okay, buddy. We'll work through this.

• Locked thread