Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Drifter posted:

Preemptively don't corner so hard?

edit: ride a DRZ and just never let go?

Poor little guy. That looked like a ruff crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Welp, almost high sided today.

I was riding down a straight road at night doing around 40-50 mph. I didn't see the stop sign until I was almost on top of it. Braked hard and the back end locked up immediately and began fishtailing. I ended up sliding about halfway into the intersection before- I think- turning the front wheel to the right just in time for the back wheel to gain traction again. Shot me right onto the road in the direction I'd been hoping to go, so it ended up working out pretty well. Still a butt pucker moment and I'm really glad I'm on a bastard supermoto or I'd probably have crashed (assuming these things are the anti-grav machines you all claim they are).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

But did you say "whooo!"??

Once I verified that a car coming around the corner wouldn't flatten me, yes, I yelled "whooooooooooooooooooo".

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
:hfive: I can't wait till I can get a second bike so I can start trying to push myself a lot more. Right now I don't feel comfortable risking the safety of my bike since it is my only transportation. :sigh:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
My MSF even had us ride over small planks and stuff as part of learning.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Almost all of my near-crash related incidents have been almost rear ending someone while staring at sidewalk boobs so I think this theory holds true.

I had this problem in a car, not on my bike.

At least my motorcycle makes me more progressive. The tinted visor hides my objectifying male gaze.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Wet riding best riding.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Gillingham posted:

Posting for the fucktard idiot driver of this SUV https://streamable.com/jggm at least it was a good reminder I need to look at my front brakes.

Holy gently caress, you almost died.:psyduck:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Verge posted:

To be fair to him, it's a DRZ. If it doesn't collide w/ something, you bought the wrong bike.

Yes, I did.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

don't believe in that gently caress head, believe in me

Some of us went down the used road like daredevils instead of buying a fresh bike. :coal:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Half the fun of a supermoto is riding it places you're not supposed to be uhhh, how nicely it commutes to work :angel:

I fondly remember night security guys trying to cut me off in a golf cart while I was on my old 690.

Hmmm... yes... hitting a trespassing motorcyclist with a golf cart absolutely falls under the realm of "observe and report":cop:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Schroeder91 posted:

I wish some sumos would come hoon it up at my work. I would definitely "observe and report join in"

Same. We've got tons of staircases and hills on this property to have fun with. Just gotta tell the lieutenant I was doing a 10-14 off property with them. :patriot:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I've seen a video of you riding. Every day is a hazardous day.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Verge posted:

True, I'm a squid, but I'd rather die by poor judgement rather than poor skill.

Crashing is a skill. :c00lbert:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

YF19pilot posted:

I'd rather not die, personally. :v:

I know you want to stand out from the crowd, but all the cool kids are doing it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Verge posted:

I understand wanting to be a squid on some levels (stupidly quick, stunting) but ASPIRING not to wear gear?

Serious question: would a spine protector be useful (with all the rest of the gear, not naked like a dumbass) on the street.

If you don't crash, you don't need gear. Seems simple enough.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Schroeder91 posted:

Shiiiiit that was close. Glad they missed ya though.

I was riding yesterday and was right next to this SUVs driver side window and out of nowhere they merge right into me. Barely braked fast enough to get out of the way. When I got a chance I pulled up next to the driver and looked at them and the bitch wouldn't even look at me.

Tap on their window. They don't usually ignore that.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Yuns posted:

I originally posted this to discussion but should have posted here.

Today 3 days after I got hit with a 2 foot dump of snow, I commuted on my motorcycle with ice and snow everwhere. Absolute dumbest poo poo I have ever done on a bike. I was trying to stay as upright as possible but still had to ride motorcross style with a leg out for every turn. I lost the wheels multiple times. I had to put feet down to save the bike 3 times including a low speed lowside into a highside. Absolute pantshitting terror the entire time. Not sure how I am going to get home from work. Probably the same way.

This owns. You own. Get a gopro.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You mean a traffic circle?

You mean four-way stop sign?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Space Whale posted:

Balanced the friction zone against the front instead of rear brake.

Caught the front just starting to slide.

Don't do that, kids.

You can put that right up there next to my favorite bit of dumb advice to offer learned from personal experience: don't try dragging knee on a U-turn.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Is it weird that I really want my second bike to be a trials bike?
Edit
Second in my stable, that is.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

No, but where will you ride it? Do you have a back yard or a truck to take it somewhere to ride? They're almost never street legal.

Nope and nope :downs:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

e: oh yeah i forgot. also in old bikes with lovely regulators (and modern mopeds) over-revving the engine can make your headlight bulb explode :haw:

Awesome :black101:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

KARMA! posted:

Ah, autumn! I hope it takes you a while before you show up.

I can't wait for late October, when Los Angeles will finally be a brisk 80 degrees Fahrenheit and the riding weather will be perfect.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

A MIRACLE posted:

God it's so loving hot in LA this week

105 degrees with humidity :shepicide:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Verge posted:

good save. i just had this same thing happen to me on the street. at least you were safe on a track though.

It could also have been a highside, which still would have sucked on the track.

Coydog posted:

Nice save! Did you just lean in too far?

To me it looks like his back tire lost grip (probably due to the wet and maybe that tar snake too) and kicked out pretty far before getting traction again. It made my butt pucker just watching it. Good save.

Edit
Vvvv
Thanks for that.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 5, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

FecLives posted:

Let's See,

Was out running a cop got speed bobbles touched guardrail going about 75 mph, no they didn't catch me.

Was on a sport ride, leathers and such, there was an S corner at about 120 mph, hit a bad bump coming off of it, handlebars came to opposite lock once or more, then ended up in my hands again.

Once on the interstate there was clear cold weather, sunny but shaded on some corners. I was going 100 mph when I entered a big sweeping corner in the shade and was able to let off the throttle a bit before I hit the black ice. I was at 85 mph then and stayed at that throttle setting as the rear wheel slowly and smoothly lost traction. I allowed the bike to countersteer, must have been some 15 odd degrees, at 85 mph on ice. This lasted for a few seconds then smoothly corrected itself.

Life is Fun Sometimes

Get a gopro.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

One time I talked about the times I ran from the cops and I got probated but IOC hated me and I don't think we have any oversight anymore so keep the stories coming.

Both of mine were on a Ninja 250 too so don't let anyone tell you they're slow.

I wish we could outrun cager mods.:sigh:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

rdb posted:

I hit a deer this morning. I got lucky, it was small enough to still have its spots. I hit it dead square in the neck at about 35mph, the bike went over it. The deer was not so lucky, it was flopping around afterwards so I am pretty sure I broke its neck. Didn't stick around to find out because I was already running late to the airport.

Stick around and put it out of its misery next time.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

rdb posted:

I don't keep guns/knifes on my person, its also considered taking one out of season if your caught doing that. :(

Run it over twice. :shrug:

sorry if I sound callous. that's a poo poo situation all around.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

the proper thing to do would be to notify authorities so they can come and dispatch the animal. If there is no damage or if it doesnt meet your states threshold then it is not reportable on your end and there is no need for you to stick around but at least report it to be taken care of.

but yeah don't dispatch one yourself because that will more often than not be unlawful

Maybe it's because I worked in a pet store for so long, but to me leaving a wounded animal to suffer feels really unethical.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

well, assuming you're even carrying a gun, putting it out of its misery is risking a firearms violation and a charge of poaching, isn't it?

It sucks either way but a lot of animals (and humans) die in lovely painful ways every single day

I'm utterly shocked that an engineer's go-to euthanasia method is a gun. Be more creative!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

because deer are useless scum

Some people say the same thing about motorcyclists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

rdb posted:

Managed to hit and kill a black vulture today. It tore the plastic off the side of the bike and got foul poo poo and feathers everywhere. I plucked most of the feathers out, popped the plastic back on and kept going. Thankful that it didn’t hit me in the chest.

It happened right by a turnoff for a place called buzzards roost on IN 66.

I think you mean fowl poo poo.:iamafag:

• Locked thread