Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

I was taught to start out with the rear brake to load the front and smoothly transfer to the front brake so I was completely off the rear brake once fully on the front.

Same here. That doesn't stop me from completely ignoring it though. I think I've put my foot on the lever two or three times on the Zuke this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

"Sucks" doesn't quite encapsulate it.

I'll lose my license for 6 whole months. That means I can't drive or ride until November! :(

You know, I know someone who lost his license for a while and he hasn't ever been stopped since, meaning that his time without a license was more of a "3 months being really REALLY paranoid everytime he saw a cop car" kind of time.

Not that I'd recommend anyone to break the law or anything, but are you really a worse rider because the state wants to punish you? How many times have you been stopped and have had to show your license before this? Just asking.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Precisely none.

I have two speeding tickets, both from automated cameras. One for 70kph in a 50kph and one for 58kph in a 50kph.

But I have never been pulled over before.

And I am not going to be driving around without a license. That's an instant "lose your license for a long time and if we catch you again you go to jail" when they catch you.

Im sensing a pattern here. It's called repeat offender, and it means you'll probably start doing drugs shortly. Which means that driving/riding without a license will soon be the least of your problems. Besides, jail is basically a full-board hotel where you and I live. (But no, I would *probably* not do it either).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Granted, I've only gone by car through Denmark but if it's anything like in Sweden, public transportation is pretty drat good, thus making it very very hard to claim that you have to drive to work, and the only possibility of keeping your license like that is if you actually drive for a living (as in lorry driver, bus driver or so).

But if I read this correctly, some very dull people at the police are going to give the tape a quick glance, and if they think Kozmo averaged more than 128 kph his license is suspended. And since Kozmo himself says he only did about 90-100 kph, this should all be over soon. :)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of something I did a couple of weeks ago.

Four lane highway.
Lane 1 goes to place A. Lane 2 & 3 goes to place B, lane 4 to place C. On the leftmost and rightmost edge of the road are concrete barriers. I was in lane 2 and on my way to place B, but lane 2 & 3 were jammed for several hundred metres, so I thought I'd just step out into lane 1 and then get into lane 2 as far up as I could go.

A BMW 5-series passed me quite fast in lane 1, so right after he went by I changed to lane 1 and rolled on the gas. I didn't punch it wheelie-style, but I gave it a good amount of gas. I started looking up ahead for a good spot to get back into lane 2, when suddenly the BMW discoveres that the road splits up ahead, and he's supposed to go to place B.

BMW-dude slams on the brakes as hard as he can, and then my reptile brain tried to kill me. I grabbed a fistful of front brake, and felt the front start to wash out. I released the brake, grabbed it again and *locked it again*! :downs: By now I had maybe 10-15 metres to the now stationary and very solid BMW. I released the brake a second time, and when I squeezed it this time I managed to not be a dumbfuck and lock it again.

When I was stationary behind the BMW (we were both standing still in a motorway lane with a 90 kph speed limit, great going Mr BMW), I was close enough to touch his bumper with my hand. Somewhere along the way, I think the first moment I felt the front start to go, I for some reason threw both my legs out in some insane act of trying to keep my balance or whatever the gently caress. My legs are wobbly as gently caress as I put them back on the pegs and roll back into lane 2. As I filter away, the BMW is still standing still, trying to get into lane 2.

So, what did I learn from this?

No matter how many times I've actually practiced emergency braking, my reflexes will still try to kill me. gently caress you reflexes. And I really should stop following so
goddamn close.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm really bad at this and I know it. I had a close call with some gravel in the middle of a turn, and now I find myself looking down all the time instead of looking through turns. Makes my turning stiff and slow 'cause I turn-look-turn-look. I know I do it, but I just can't make myself stop looking "because what if there is gravel or oil ontheroadandIdon'tseeandthenIcrashanddie and..."

Yeah. If I'm following another bike things go much better, because when I see that he/she doesn't crash I can relaxe and my turns are great.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

_Dav posted:

Looking through the turn you'll see the things to avoid before it's too late to avoid them. Looking down is pretty much going to be stuff that's largely too late to be pre-emptive about. I think it's largely a confidence thing, if you're confident that you're going to be OK if the back wheel wiggles a little, you'll still be on the throttle and negotiate it without issues.

Yeah, I know. Like you say, it's a confidence thing. I'm thinking of taking a course in gravel riding just to show myself that a little back wheel wiggle won't be the death of me.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A meta-study done by the Swedish Road Administration (title: Analysis of the literature - the use of mobile phones while driving) notes the following interesting things (among others, my bolding):

quote:

Regardless of whether the phone is handheld or handsfree, there is strong
evidence that the actual task of conversing on the phone, whether it be listening or talking, while driving
places significant cognitive demands on drivers and distracts them from concentrating on the safe
operation of the vehicle and any hazards arising in the road environment. Experimental evidence shows
that mobile phone conversations while driving, regardless of whether they are conducted on handheld
or handsfree devices, affect measures of driving performance.

also

quote:

The dangers of mobile phone use relative to other important crash risks (e.g., alcohol intoxication) have
also been examined and it can be concluded that when driving conditions and time on task are
controlled for, the impairments associated with using a mobile phone while driving can be as profound
as those associated with driving while intoxicated by alcohol.

As a side note, a woman at work had her nephew rammed off the road from behind while on his bicycle. As the girl in the car got out, the first thing out of her mouth was "I'm so sorry, I didn't see you because I was texting."

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
As I said, it's a meta-study commissioned by the SRA, but there is a reference list for your enjoyment.

http://publikationswebbutik.vv.se/upload/3369/2007_35_analysis_of_the_literature_the_use_of_mobile_phones_while_driving.pdf

My excerpts are from page 25.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

In case you find yourself in the same situation again, install one of these:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KodiakRS posted:

Things he learned:
-Don't try to keep up with someone riding faster than you're comfortable with.
-Lean WITH the bike, not against it.
-Your front bake is a great way to stop your motorcycle.
-If you stomp on your rear brake it WILL lock up.
-Don't stop in the road in the middle of a corner.

Are you sure he actually learned anything from this? Someone who counter leans under hard cornering doesn't strike me as the type that'll know what he did wrong.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ReelBigLizard posted:

I don't think that's true for the majority of modern bikes, with or without ABS. My KTM can and has out-braked cars with ABS in emergency braking - thanks, van guy who stopped on the exit of a blind corner in the rain.

A 2006 SAAB 9-5 has a braking distance of 37,6 metres 100-0 kmh. A 2013 Kia Ceed 37,9.

2006 ZX10R; 38,8.
2013 Street Triple (with ABS); 43,13.
2012 FZ-1S (with ABS); 40,57.
2012 1400 GTR (ABS & CBS); 46,85.

All values are pure braking distance, no reaction distance involved, and done in good dry conditions. All bikes ridden by Matti Tepsa (a moderately famous swedish stunt rider who among other things came in fifth in the "Streetbike Freestyle World championship" a couple of years back and does motorcycle stunts for movies and poo poo).

efb; at least I had some common cars in my list. :colbert:

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 8, 2013

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ReelBigLizard posted:

This is what armoured knuckles were made for.

The rear end in a top hat version of a bro-fist.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't get it. Why didn't he just shoot you for trespassing?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The only better feeling would be squeezing the brake lever and having it immediately bottom out. The owner hadn't put one of the calipers back together right, so it leaked between the halves, and after you'd braked a couple of times the fluid was gone. Coming up on a roundabout going 55mph in the wet is the essence of excitement, let me tell you.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

Downshift, downshift, rear brake, scream like a little kid?

Something like that.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they fudge the ventilation because they know the majority of helmets sold will be with pinlock? Pinlock comes standard on all Shoeis in EU (that I've seen).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My dad has an old two-stroke inboard engine in his boat, and while it's only 330cc and 2,5 hp, the max rpm is something like I'd imagine from a 1200cc thumper; 900 rpm.

Hand cranked, open flywheel, magneto ignition, it looks almost exactly like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8IOawnP0nE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I stop and put them out of their misery. Motorcyclists, I mean.

• Locked thread