Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Tsaven Nava posted:

decked out the saddlebag HARD, and long. Felt the rear wheel skitter across the pavement, but I was basically through the corner by that point and stood it back up without issues.

Ouch. Two cans of bedliner spray to go, please. Glad you pulled out of it--now those covers are officially in the memory banks for good :)

Reminds me of a week or so ago on our divided four-lane campus perimeter road. Left lane, fully leaned over in a right turn*, car next to me, and I line up directly with road kill that was way fresher than it looked. Gut-wrenching front wobble that I wish I could deconstruct for the benefit of future generations. All I can say is: no matter how matted and decayed that poor bastard looks, assume it's a pile of goo that will send you straight into the cheap seats.

*Gen 1 Nighthawk 750, so no knee-dragging illusions here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Z3n posted:

It would have had the same result. Highsides occur because when the rear regrips it drives the bike forward from the rear tire. If the bike is pointing off at a 30 degree angle from the front wheel, then it attempts to go sideways, and flicks you off as a result. The 2 ways to avoid a highside are either you lock the rear tire and lowside it, or you feed it throttle so that it spins it's way back into line. This is especially true in situations where you've lost traction because of oil or something on the road and the tire started spinning because once you are off that patch of oil or whatever, there is going to be a lot more grip.

However, if you feed it too much throttle, you can spin it out and lowside, so there's a balance there.

This illustrates why I was proper f*cked with my recent oil incident. It was a two-lane U with cars to the front, rear, and left, ending in a red light. I've probably gone through it a thousand times. I suppose a high side would have put me in the grass, which might have been a little softer, but I think the damage would have only swapped sides. Powering up was not an option on the table, unfortunately.

I think an equally useful discussion here would be scanning for hazards in the midst of turn when you're supposed to be heads-up and looking through it. That's a delicate art. I saw this stuff when I was right up on it, but that's not where my eyes should/would have been in the event of a green light and continuous 180.

BTW--I've only been here a couple years or so, but does it seem like an above average # of petroleum-related escapades this year on SA? Are we seeing the results of the screw it, just add another quart school of deferred auto maintenance?

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 15, 2012

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

clutchpuck posted:

Had some close calls between Seattle and Reno.

All the way to Reno? You know what you are. You're gonna be a star!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHlpWokiduk

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

builds character posted:

breasts was what I must have been thinking.

BC has epiphany and establishes true root cause for 92% of all motorcycle accidents.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Chichevache posted:

I had this problem in a car, not on my bike.

At least my motorcycle makes me more progressive. The tinted visor hides my objectifying male gaze.

Race condition exists between preservation and replication circuits. Alert the design team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Positive ID on Twisto...

http://youtu.be/jzEoYJEay9I

• Locked thread