Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Beep boop I'm a dummy. Nearly got myself t-boned turning right at a set of lights (which I use all the time but don't often turn right at) because I forgot that they don't have a separate green for right turns and make you wait until oncoming traffic has dried up before you can go.

So of course light goes green and I take off intending to sail through the turn, only remembering at the last second to look up and realise I was about to ride right across the front of an oncoming car. :shepicide:

Wasn't even really a near miss, I didn't have to panic brake or owt, it was just really embarrassing.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Welp, just had my first overconfident idiot crash near miss on the way in to work this morning. :buddy:

Coming up to a clear roundabout too fast (which is to say, 40 in a 40, but not slowing down early enough), with maybe 30-40 yards left I spot an SUV entering from my right. I'd just started braking when I saw it so was off the throttle, clutch out, little bit of back and front and then realising that hitting the give way line at 20 wasn't going to be good enough.

Anyway I guess I must have mashed the back brake a little bit in surprise, because while I don't recall giving it as much as I have in past emergency braking situations, the rear started fishtailing. Think I got about two and a half full oscillations in before it stopped, ended up stopping the bike upright and halfway over the line.

I didn't get hit, nobody got mad, and the whole experience was much less butt puckering than I'd imagined a skid would be.

Conclusion: I want to learn how to do this on purpose :cripes:

Responsible conclusion: I'm not psychic, and riding the same 5 mile route 100 times doesn't mean I can get complacent.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Letmebefrank posted:

Of course I should have tried to swerve instead of braking, or drive even slower, or...

More like planning ahead really. 30mph in the rain shouldn't be a problem, you just need to consider Murphy's law, which in this context is: if you can see there is a blind junction coming up and you can't tell whether a car is about to pull out of it, a car is about to pull out of it.

So maybe progressively slowing down a bit on approach to the junction, positioning further out if it's safe to do so, assessing oncoming traffic and the road conditions to see whether swerving or braking would be more appropriate if something does pop out... it's overall awareness, both of potential hazards and possible escape routes.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I post in here too much :cripes:

Passed my mod 1 test with a single minor, proceeded to nearly hit the back of a van on the way home. Wet road, the whole thing slick with algae or something. I misjudged my stopping distance, tapped the back brake and unstuck the rear and that fucker just would not regain traction.

Somehow managed to get the bike over into the cycle lane on the left of the van, ended up overshooting it by something like two car lengths, fishtailing the whole way. It nearly caught at one point but then immediately came unstuck again, didn't properly stick until I'd come to stop. I went back to check the road and while there was only one tiny fuel spot, the whole thing was slippy as gently caress and I nearly fell over just walking on it. I'm bloody lucky the front didn't go too.

It's extra dumb because my following distance for moving vehicles is usually pretty good, I just let myself get too close to this guy because a) not properly accounting for rain affecting my stopping distance (to say nothing of the extra slick road we happened to be on) and b) not clocking until too late that he was stopped at a temporary roadworks traffic light, and not merely pausing to let someone turn right, and therefore not about to move off. This is like the number one cause of crash in No Prisoners (fools thinking the guy in front is going to be gone by the time they get there, except he's not) which I've watched pretty much all of, so you bet I'm pretty red in the face right now :ughh:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Jesus. :stare:

Glad you're okay man. As if the fucker honked at you as well, like it's your fault he nearly hit you.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Haha holy poo poo he still sounds posh as gently caress, 0/10 would mug for kicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drKtozox34M&t=77s

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Verge posted:

Anyone got tips for how to resolve this?

Relax. If you're tense then you're going to crash, either by hitting the obstacle or locking your controls and lowsiding. In addition to not looking at the obstacle you have to not think about it either.

Look through the turn you want to make, and focus on staying chill so the bike can do its thing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I hear they drive around them in the wrong direction, too :tinfoil:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm the stoned rabbit strumming my guitar under a tree

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Nearly rear-ended an audi/dropped the bike just now. Managed to not quite do either, but uuuugghhh

I call this farce Cyclists! :argh: or, This Is Why You Take A Lane Blocking Position, a play in 1 act

Coming up to a tiny roundabout, one lane split into "two" stupidly narrow lanes. I'm in the left and queueing to go straight over, cyclist coming up behind. There are exactly zero inches between the side of the car in front and the curb, but he's queuing up with us anyway.

I wasn't far over enough to make him not even think about squeezing past me, so he keeps inching up every time we move. I get tunnel vision looking in my mirror/over my shoulder because I don't want to hit the cyclist, see the audi go forward in the corner of my eye, and proceed to nearly launch into the back of it because I just want to be away from this lycra-clad buttlord already, and I somehow didn't clock that of course the car would be stopping almost immediately.

Couldn't tell if I actually hit the car, but my front wheel went left and the bike went right. Managed to wrestle it up without getting off, rode off a bit red faced.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Locking the rear could theoretically cause a lowside if you go down quick enough (might even never happen if you're trying to save the bike rather than layer dan), but if the back steps out too far and then regains traction the bike will flip and that's a highside.

Having locked the rear a few times I can tell you that it's not at all likely to drop you immediately; it just tends to fishtail while the bike stays mostly upright. This is probably due to physics reasons but I won't embarrass myself trying to guess at what those are.

e/ even in a straight line, if you lock the front while you're going fast enough for it to skid (ie it unsticks from the road) then you're never going to endo, because that requires traction. If it locks and stays locked then even the slightest steering or lean input caused by you or the road or wind or whatever will send you down.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 11, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Any chance there was algae or something like that in the road? With the heat and rain we've been having it'd be the right time for it, I had a similar experience last year with the rear letting go, catching, and then going again, it really does feel just like ice and you often can't see it at all.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Almost had a classic No Prisoners crash last night. Riding home from work, tired, hungry, not making great decisions. Stuck behind a car inexplicably doing 5 under the limit on on open stretch up to some traffic lights. We get to the lights, he turns right, I go left and give it the beans out of frustration.

There's a queue of traffic in the opposite lane to me. Just as I get to the back of it, I nearly get T-boned by a car floating out of a side street I couldn't see because of the queue.

At the point I spotted him I had just enough time to stop completely OR keep all my speed and miss him comfortably. Fatigue made my reaction time garbage though, so by the time I actually registered that he might hit me it was too late to stop, but I bottled it and started slowing down anyway. Luckily the road was wide enough that we didn't collide, I ended up riding down the side of him for a few moments before accelerating past. If he'd decided to drive in the gutter as some people do, I'd have been hosed.

If I hadn't been speeding I'd a) probably have seen him earlier, my head being high enough to see over the queue of cars and actively scanning that area as a stereotypical accident point, b) had more time to react if I still only saw him when I did, c) have been able to stop safely in the given conditions (those including my lovely reaction time and awareness).

The root mistake here was not being fully aware of my mental state and accounting for that by going slower and being extra cautious of road rage. This commute has been uneventful for most of three months, and I got complacent. In future I'll take extra care to note my mental condition before setting off on any ride, and compensating for it as required, most likely by slowing down and doing more deliberate visual checks.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Schroeder91 posted:

Narrowly avoided being tboned by inches. I was leaving work and the road out front is 1 lane each way, with a turn lane in the middle. There was a car coming from my left, checked to the right, and back to the left. The car was pulling into our lot, so I start pulling out and going and as I'm in the middle of the road and car about half the size of the one pulling in just barely missed me. I didn't see this car at all. They were passing the car pulling in, and were driving in the turn lane to go around them.

Congratulations on avoiding the shortlist for No Prisoners 2017 volume 2, although there car number 2 is usually the bike making an ill advised overtake and getting t-boned by whoever is pulling out of the junction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
2 seconds looks like just the perfect size space to fit into to most people. Be aware of this, and anticipate that they may be likely to dive into it. Really any time you're at correct following distance, especially on the motorway, expect some turd to fill the gap.

You ever accidentally play pavement chicken? Where you're on foot and walking towards someone else and you or they or both try to dodge the other by moving towards the smallest available space, usually a gap that's actively getting smaller? Remember that people still operate like this on the road.

• Locked thread