Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

So I had a fun ride today with my dad, he took me to a spot he's been hitting up for some curve practice since there aren't a ton of really twisty paths around where we live. Towards the end of the run I had a somewhat close call but I'm not sure what the appropriate course of action should have been so I'll let you guys make the call. Coming up on the penultimate turn of our little course I was going about 25-30 mph downhill, it felt pretty fast but not horrifically so. Once I got to just before the start of the turn I no longer felt comfortable at the speed I was going. In this picture, @3, about the blue line is where I straightened up and started braking. The green line shows where the rear slid out (i think i accidentally backed it in here) and then regained traction and I made it through the rest of the turn. I went way wide though (into the oncoming lane) and if it wasn't a quiet little tucked away road it could have gone poorly for me.

I guess my question is could I have made that turn at 25-30 if I had committed fully to the lean?
The real mistake is going faster than I felt comfortable turning, but I can't help but think that maybe I could have just leaned all the way over and held the throttle steady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Sagebrush posted:

It's hard to judge distances and appropriate speeds from a photo, but I'd say yes, there should be no problem taking that turn at 30 miles an hour. How new are you to riding again? It depends on the bike and the tires obviously but you can get leaned over a lot further than you'd expect at first.

Push harder on the inside bar, try to put your chin on your inside hand, and look as deeply into the turn as you can.

Well, the bike has about 110 miles on it and that's as far as I've ever ridden on a bike. But yeah I think I just didn't trust the bike enough. The chin to inside bar thing is a cool idea I'll have to try it sometime.

Right after I finish fishing out those brass shavings from my tank, you fucker. :newlol:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
If that were me, the video would have been on No Prisoners 2015 with me front flipping over the bars and getting run over by the truck

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
that's not almost crashing that's just havin' a good time

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

too bad he didn't turn you into a hood ornament

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
don't believe in that gently caress head, believe in me

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Mental blocks suck. I've been fighting one that I acquired sometime last spring in the mountains which I haven't been able to shake. My speed through the mountain twisties has taken an easy ~10 mph hit because of it and it's really annoying. There's a sweet double horseshoe turn that i used to be able to hit at like 38 mph but every time i've been back since it's been more like 28ish for some reason. I haven't had any close calls or crashes so I'm not sure where it came from.

Not what I need when I'm planning a trip to Deal's Gap next year!!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
counterbalance and maintain throttle

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
also possible for the bike to flip with the rider

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Sagebrush posted:

Unless you crashed while running race tires on a track, I think you still don't.

how mosickle go broom?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
go to cornerspin

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
is this guy's brain addled or something what are these posts

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Space Whale posted:

I need to add vice grips to the pillion bag then.

alternatively install parts correctly you ape

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

rdb posted:

I hit a deer this morning. I got lucky, it was small enough to still have its spots. I hit it dead square in the neck at about 35mph, the bike went over it. The deer was not so lucky, it was flopping around afterwards so I am pretty sure I broke its neck. Didn't stick around to find out because I was already running late to the airport.

git owned, rat of the forest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Fanelien posted:

I'd put it out of it's misery too. I wouldn't want to be slowly dying on the side of the road, why should the animal?

because deer are useless scum

• Locked thread