Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What was the rule that I read here? "Only swerve to avoid things that you couldn't eat in one sitting"? Seems about right to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That video led me to this one, which makes me angry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pkV2ZKpyFM&t=39s

e:

quote:

What a pussy
jdogvv 12 hours ago

first time I've seen a youtube comment I agree with

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What would happen if you pulled in the clutch and coasted it out, so that when the tire catches the road again it isn't being driven?

What happens if your bike doesn't have enough power to spin the wheel back into line?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, I see. Of course, the situation is not that the rear tire is stopped and sliding, but rather that the oil you hit has reduced your friction and it's now spinning out of control much faster than it should be and sliding. Durr. So you keep the power up so the wheel keeps spinning until the oil wears off and it slowly regains traction? That makes sense.

e: yeah, I think I was getting at something like "but if you clutch in so the rear wheel has no power, how can it push the bike into line..." but after thinking about it I understand the situation better. Regardless of the power situation, it's the difference between riding with your rear end on a free-moving slider vs. your rear end constrained to the degrees of freedom the tire will allow.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 15, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bloody Queef posted:

What's up with the pantaloons?

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

A lot of motorcycle cop gear is copied from the horse-riding days.

Yeah, if the cops are going to ride those...things, the least they could do is get the appropriate uniforms.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bondematt posted:

Another 0 MPH crash to add. Seriously, this is the third drat time I've dropped or had the bike fall over.

I had one of those. About 1 week after I got the bike finished and legally registered, I was parked on the side of the road just getting ready to leave. Turned on the ignition, turned on the fuel, turned on the headlight, closed the choke, flipped out the kickstarter, hopped on top and blipped the throttle as I gave it a mighty boot.

And because I had left the transmission in gear, the bike scooted forwards six inches, just enough to make me lose my balance and grip. I grabbed fruitlessly for the bars as the bike slowly fell over onto its side, luckily doing no damage beyond breaking the little ball off the end of the clutch lever. :stoke:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wulframn posted:

That's some of the most stupid reasoning I've ever heard. If a bike is rear-ended hard enough to upset your hand on the clutch you have bigger issues to worry about than the possibility of flying off into traffic.

Not to mention that dumping the clutch while you're at idle, giving no additional throttle input, is far more likely to just result in a lurch and stall. Do they think everyone is riding a 1000cc bike with a high idle problem or something?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My favorite bicycle-commuting experience was pulling up at a stoplight beside a bro-truck, just behind some kind of triathlete with a carbon bike and aerodynamic helmet and all the tight spandex with sponsor logos and so on. The driver of the bro-truck looks out his window...back inside...back out at the triathlete...back inside to his buddy...then leans his upper body out and yells

"LOOK, IT'S NEIL ARMSTRONG!"

then floors the gas and laughs maniacally as he peels out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nearly stacked it up today, in a stupid mootmoot-worthy move, thanks to my own dumb rear end. I was out and about and discovered a cool winding ridgeline road, and was having a blast riding it about as hard as I'm comfortable riding the bike. Which is not that hard or fast, objectively speaking, but that was still mistake #1: taking on an unfamiliar road at the edge of my skill level. Mistake #2: ignored a 15mph sign in front of a blind turn, assuming it would be about as tight as the other non-blind "15mph" turns I'd been easily taking at about 30-35. Nope; it was a real, honest-to-god 15mph turn. As I came around I found myself going over the yellow line.

So I'm over the double yellow and entering the opposite lane, set to take the whole width of the road if I'm going to navigate this corner successfully, already worried and trying to countersteer harder -- when suddenly a car comes around the corner the opposite way. I was leaned over as far as I'd ever been, which was almost certainly nowhere near the traction limit, but like I said, being a dumbass and riding at the edge of my experience. I had enough presence of mind to not just hit the brakes. So, I didn't try to push the tires even further, but instead stood it up a tiny bit and sailed across in front of the car to the shoulder on the opposite side of the road, narrowly avoiding a direct front-on collision, running the front tire into a pile of soft dirt. The bike stayed upright and I got my legs down somehow, the only part of the whole experience that would make this an "almost crash" instead of an actual crash.

Terrifying, humiliating, but thanks to the grace of God there was no damage to anything, including myself. No cuts or bruises, no bent controls, just folded up the footpeg as it dug into the dirt. The engine was still running until I took my hand off the clutch and stalled it on the spot. I got off, accepted the furious lecture about loving motorcycles from the driver I almost hit (I'm sorry, guys, for reinforcing someone's poor opinion of bikes and bikers) and then left the bike parked on the side of the road and just kind of wandered around for about twenty minutes with my head full of bees. Rode the 40 miles home slowly and carefully, trying to keep my head on the road instead of going over that incident again and again.

Lesson learned: don't ride outside your own loving limits, wherever they may lie, especially on an unfamiliar road.

e: shoulda read z3n's post from the first page, where he also ended up over the DY from taking a corner too fast

quote:

Never, ever, ride over your head.

yep.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 2, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I use my low beam because, as I discovered a week or so ago, the high beam drains the battery faster than the alternator can charge it unless I'm constantly averaging above 5000RPM. :yayclod: Good for riding on a highway at night, but not many other situations. I'm trying to find something brighter than the crappy old 1970s bulb that also doesn't draw more than ~35w.

The couple of times I've forgotten to turn the light on at all, though, I've definitely noticed an increase in cars stopping short and cutting me off in various ways. Lights are good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, just last night I was riding home on a fairly deserted road, slowing down for a stop sign ahead, when this weird shadowy thing kind of floated by near the intersection. I got on the brakes and squinted and saw a fawn, about the size of a large dog, wandering across the road. It walked up to the shoulder and then stopped and stared at me as I pulled up beside it. I turned the bars to flash it with my headlamp and revved the engine and it jumped and took off into the forest.

nsaP-approved emotion: disapproval

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I still have another thumb button available that used to be connected to my electric starter. Still haven't figured out what exactly to put on there. Big powerful air horn? Unshielded arc lamp? Exhaust pipe flamethrower? So many choices.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is it stupid season or something? I was riding along today at ~40mph in the center lane of a 3-lane road. Some bluehair comes up to the cross street (red light), rolls the stop, and starts to turn right. As soon as she started the turn I started keeping an eye on her -- and good thing, too, because rather than staying in the rightmost lane, she just sort of lazily drifts across it an into mine at about 20 miles an hour. I blew the horn and swerved enough to avoid her (didn't have to leave my lane -- she was kind of halfway over the line). Continued on a mile or so, shaking my head. Not 5 minutes later, some idiot in one of those Lexus geländewagen knockoffs does exactly the same thing, except he didn't even think about entering his own lane -- just turned directly into the middle one from the side street. I hit my brakes and horn, he looked to the left, saw me, and slammed to a stop blocking the two rightmost lanes. I slowly steered around his hood, staring at the driver with a "what the gently caress, dude?" look the whole time. He grinned and waved. :fuckoff:

I was fairly near to a shopping center, so I suppose I could blame the christmas season. But gently caress, if that's the case, what have we done as a society that makes people so obsessed with shopping and bargains that they inexplicably forget how to drive for six weeks every winter?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

As far as I'm concerned he was actively trying to hurt/kill me, but I wasn't never in a position to get his plates. Is the fact that I'll get in front of you enough to really try and kill me?

Do you have a camera? Cause it definitely sounds like that guy was trying to kill you. Those guys in Kentucky who got chased down/nearly rammed by the pickup truck managed to get a conviction out of it, despite no cops being actually present at the time.

I doubt anything would happen here, sadly, but it'd be cool if it did.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

http://www.maysville-online.com/news/local/hudson-sentenced-in-road-rage-incident/article_051d0ae6-32be-55a3-8c37-f0aee97a0bae.html

The incident got all over the news, he turned himself in, was charged with and convicted of two counts of wanton endangerment. Got 2 years + 90 days in jail, plus a token $100 fine.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 20, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

and if you also get into the habit of leaning your body forward and inside the corner

And old guy I know described this as "put your chin on the bar you're pushing" (not literally, obviously) and damned if it doesn't work. Tightens up the line and makes the turn that much smoother.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, as long as you weren't totally leaned over and on the edge of traction, you probably would have kept it together. A diaper is soft; I've run over 2x4s and into four-inch potholes and while it sure shakes you up the bike usually sorts itself out pretty fast.

The cleanup, on the other hand...:barf:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Go kickstart-only, like me, and replace your starter button with one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Pit-Bull-CHIH310-12V-Horn/dp/B001CS6C9M

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Angryboot posted:

Or better yet, throw up on the guy's window then faint right in front of the cop.

I second this idea.

gently caress people who text while driving. Many a time on my bicycle I've had a car slam to a stop just a few feet away, about to T-bone me or cut me off or just outright run me over, and as I stare the driver down I see that their face is illuminated blue from the glow of the screen in their lap. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress those people.

I tried texting while driving once when I was young and stupid and had just gotten a cell phone, and immediately ran a stop sign and nearly drove off the road. Never again.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In California the law is "no handheld electronic devices", which does help with the texting somewhat (NOT, people just hold it between their legs and glance up every few seconds) but doesn't remove the general problem of distraction caused by trying to do something else while you are operating a motor vehicle. "Handheld" kind of misses the point -- drinking from your big gulp shouldn't affect your driving abilities, but you bet that if you're yelling at your deadbeat brother-in-law on your hands-free phone you're going to miss things on the road even with both hands on the wheel. Not that I have a good idea of a solution to it all, of course.

People need to stop talking about multitasking like it's a good thing, I think. Teach kids that it's better to focus on one task and do it really well than to half-rear end a bunch simultaneously and maybe we'll quit having these stupid problems.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 26, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Do you have a link to the original study? Finally I have one that confirms exactly what I'd suspected all along.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Glad you're okay! Never stop looking for hazards, no matter how long it's been since the MSF. I think that the constant looking around and analyzing and extrapolating and anticipating is by far the most exhausting part of riding in traffic.

In case you find yourself in the same situation again, install one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-super-loud-air-horn-40134.html

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You didn't even screw the farmer's daughter on your way around the curve? Pansy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nuh uh, if I remember correctly you dumped the bike at a stoplight a couple of days after buying it. This is your second stupid idiot newbie riding mistake. :eng101:

But yep, I did the exact same thing a couple of times when I started riding. Nearly killed myself on one particular road where the WAS a car in the opposite lane, which I posted about back in the thread somewhere. Remember, especially as a newbie, in average riding you are usually nowhere near the traction limit of your tires and the thing to do when you've come in a little hot is just push harder. (The best thing to do of course is not to come in too hot, but it happens sometimes).

Glad you're okay. Get back on the saddle soon and push through the nerves -- that's the only way to get your confidence back.

e: here's where I lost it. I was coming in from the right, took the sweeping turn to the north, and went wide as the road doubles back. The turn is blind, downhill and decreases in radius -- check out the street view. I've ridden it a few times since and it still scares me, even knowing exactly what is about to happen. http://goo.gl/maps/kWHeU

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 8, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You should probably have them on sooner than that, if you're going to ride in the next few weeks...10 year old tires with a bunch of miles on them are definitely Not A Safe Thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

"Why would you willingly put yourself in a position where you have to wear head-to-toe abrasion resistant armor?"

This is the question I can't answer aside from "It's fun!"

this, basically

http://vimeo.com/59919849

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

And don't forget that if the car is running non standard wheels or tires, or has under-inflated tires, or even if it's a really hot day, the speedometer reading will be even more incorrect.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't feel too bad for the people on Can-Ams. Like yeah, it's not a motorcycle, but it's got to still be fun, right? Somewhat? People have plenty of fun on quads and a Can-Am is really just splitting the difference.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Realistically, you may not even have been going way too fast. Too fast for the situation, yes (a stoplight at the end of the turn) but if it were a continuous road that turn seems to be doable at 55mph. You just target fixated on the outside of the curve, as many people have pointed out, and didn't countersteer hard enough to take the turn at that speed. When you're new, what feels like "leaned way over" is probably more like 25-30% of the actual lean angle and lateral traction you have available. This means that you can almost always turn a lot more tightly than you are without losing traction: just look more deeply into the turn and push even harder on the inner bar.

Turn speed limits are usually pretty conservative, too. I've taken many "20mph" turns at 35-40 with no ill effects or sliding or squealing and I'm in no way a hardcore racer. Just don't ever take a turn above the marked speed limit unless (a) you can see through the entire thing and read the curvature or (b) you've ridden it before and know what it does. For all the conservative speed limits out there, once in a while the turn is marked bang-on and you really don't want to find that out the hard way.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 4, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I dropped my bike at the mechanic's like a week after I first got it on the road. I had taken it there to get the road safety check done, passed with flying colors. Left, hopped on the bike, flicked on the fuel, ignition, choke, turned out the kickstarter, hopped on top and gave a mighty shove downwards,

and because I'd forgotten to put it in neutral, the bike scooted forwards six inches and fell off the kickstand and fell over with me on top. Luckily nothing broke and while I didn't see any of the mechanics laughing at me, I'm sure that it was too late and they'd seen everything.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Today I almost ran into the back of a suddenly-stopped Mercedes as I was rubbernecking at a Hawk GT parked on a side street. I stopped with about four feet to spare, which is great, because I'd hate to have to explain that I ran into the back of someone's car because I was fascinated by the little midpowered late 80s standard over there.

I think the solution will have to be to buy one, so that the distraction is gone.

and maybe keep my head screwed in straight and quit being distracted by things on the side of the road

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's hard to judge distances and appropriate speeds from a photo, but I'd say yes, there should be no problem taking that turn at 30 miles an hour. How new are you to riding again? It depends on the bike and the tires obviously but you can get leaned over a lot further than you'd expect at first.

Push harder on the inside bar, try to put your chin on your inside hand, and look as deeply into the turn as you can.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also, speaking from my own nearest-to-death experience, don't ride faster than you can see around a blind corner and especially don't do it on a road you don't know. It's easy to be startled by a corner than decreases in radius and end up swinging wide into the other lane, even if you were completely capable of pushing harder, getting way over and tracking through it just fine. See also nsaP's most recent video in the cycle pictures and videos thread -- same situation.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nothing really wrong with HJC, they're just lower-end. I wore an HJC helmet for a few years and had no problems.

Shoei has the same head shape as HJC, btw, or so I believe.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Verge posted:

zen told me to get an sv so i did then crashed it because i didn't understand the concept of cold tires.

Unless you crashed while running race tires on a track, I think you still don't.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All tires have a working temperature range and get harder in the cold and softer in the heat. The thing is, though, that if you're running on street tires, the manufacturer has designed them to be usable in all normal riding temperature ranges. It would be really stupid to sell a tire that only gains its working traction when it's hot to a commuter who's never going to bring the tire to that temperature. Like, feel your tires when you get off your bike after a normal ride -- they'll be a little warm but not crazy hot. Race tires normally operate at 180-200F, hot enough to burn you.

(The reason race tires need heat is because a softer, stickier tire also wears out faster. If you design a tire that works well at ambient temperature, then when it's heated up to 200 degrees on a racetrack and being ridden hard, it will quickly fall apart. Using a harder rubber means the tire lasts longer in the race, but it's less than optimal when cold).

So unless the weather was significantly below freezing, I doubt the temperature had anything to do with it. IMO it's much more likely you hit a patch of sand or oil, or a dead leaf, or water, or just a bump in the road. Lots of things can lead to a lowside with little or no warning.

Yes, you could have run out of tire, but that's hard to speak to without video. You can lean over farther than you think on street tires, usually more than enough to scrape the pegs if the pavement's clean and dry.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Verge posted:

Something's wrong here, guys. You shouldn't be able to kill rear traction with engine power alone (assuming proper downshifting speeds) on a bike that small, even in wet. Hydroplaning does feel weird but I somehow doubt you're hydroplaning. Is it possible this is just your first time slicing water and you don't know how it feels? It's actually pretty hard to hydroplane a bike while trying to slow down in a straight line especially if you begin braking BEFORE entering the puddle.

Or knobbies?

I've locked up the rear on my CL350 with engine braking by dropping the transmission too low while at speed and popping the clutch. On dry, clean pavement. It's certainly possible. On wet or sandy pavement it's even easier.

Keket, I doubt there's anything wrong with your bike. If you were braking hard, you probably just shifted enough weight off the rear that it got loose. The wheel could still be spinning fine and you wouldn't have to touch the rear brake, but if there's no weight keeping the tire pressed into the road, it'll slide. The wet road would help break that last little bit of connection the tire had with the pavement.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 20, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, from a riding dynamics standpoint, you basically just stomped on the rear brake at speed. Not a great idea but also less dangerous than, say, hammering on the front brake. If you lock the rear wheel, it'll slide and fishtail around, but you can keep the bike upright and get back under control if you're quick and stay loose. I would avoid doing it in the future. When I was learning to ride, I screwed up a downshift in a turn and popped the clutch in low gear with the engine basically idling. The rear tire locked as the engine spun up, and I slid around the corner and barely kept it upright.

From an engine standpoint, not great to over-rev like that. In theory, spinning the engine past its redline

- can lead to valve float, where the valve springs don't have enough force to push them closed in time before the piston comes back up. That causes piston/valve damage.
- can burn out bearings in the crankshaft or camshaft(s) from overspeed that the oiling system can't keep up with
- can overpressurize the fluids in your engine (oil and coolant) as the pumps run too fast, leading to seal failure
- can cause damage to the pistons' top edges as the conrods stretch under the acceleration, running the pistons higher in the cylinder than they usually do
- can overstress internal chains and belts (e.g. the timing chain) leading to breakage

but all of that is unlikely to happen with just one brief event. I did a similar thing in my car when I was learning to drive (went from 5th to 2nd instead of 5th to 4th) and only bad thing to happen was the water pump spun so fast that the overpressure blew out a freeze plug and dumped all of the coolant. If you don't see any leaking fluids, you're probably fine. Change the oil and look for metal particles if you're really concerned about it.

e: oh yeah i forgot. also in old bikes with lovely regulators (and modern mopeds) over-revving the engine can make your headlight bulb explode :haw:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 22, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That's a new one to me. Is this a thing? Are you sure you weren't just driving a lovely car? BMW cooling system?

I dunno exactly what happened, cause I was like 19 and didn't know anything about engines. It was a ten-year-old Ford Escort wagon with the SPI 2.0L engine. I was driving on the freeway at about 65mph, started to decelerate for an offramp, and shifted 5->2 at 55mph or so. It went past the redline and suddenly there was a big white cloud behind the car. Stopped, saw coolant dripping out the bottom (I knew enough to at least recognize it), drove directly to the shop at 20 miles an hour stopping every time the temperature gauge peaked. The next day the mechanics said "yeah, it was just a freeze plug blowing out, there's no damage." My years-later analysis is that a surge in the water pressure blew it out, because I don't know how else that could happen just from overrevving the engine.

Beats me. The car ran fine for another three or four years before we sold it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd say that realistically that was a really well-executed save. Yeah you could say that your braking wasn't as laser-perfect as a MotoGP racer, but you kept it upright and didn't hit anything. That's all that matters.

A good example of why you must never let your attention wander. If you'd been zoned out, you might easily have just pancaked into the back of the car.

VVVV this is a good point though, yeah. I watched it on my phone and couldn't really see the lane positioning. I tend to ride about 2 feet off the lane marking at all times so you can easily slip between the cars if you need to.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 19, 2017

• Locked thread