Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M42
Nov 12, 2012

Xovaan posted:

For those wondering about generic 3m silver reflective tape:

Pictures don't do it justice. It's really, really bright. In daytime the stuff's so bright that it looks completely white.

Neeeeeeerd!!

Is that the SOLAS stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The guy at 5:45 is going through some kind of existential crisis. Oh my god nooo noooo oh god nooo my god noooooooo noooo!!!!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Had my first stupid idiot newbie riding mistake today, didn't slow down enough before a turn and ran wide:

Thankfully, that side road is usually empty and there wasn't a car waiting at the stop sign. I got really lucky and, well, once bitten twice shy. The good thing is, when I realised my mistake, I didn't panic and grab a handful of brake or anything. I straightened out and did a proper emergency stop in front of the parked car. I knew I'd probably be kinda shaky so I cut the trip short and went back home. The ride back was still crappy, though. Didn't realize I stopped in second and stalled while taking off, rode like a grandma, etc. Next time if I make a mistake I'll give myself a longer time to cool off. That was a really stupid mistake to make, though.

M42 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 8, 2013

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Actually the other one was me rolling/coasting like an idiot to turn around on a narrow street and keeling over, so not technically a riding mistake.

(:ssh: I forgot about that one, so you're right. It's my second mistake.)

^^^ Haha, I know that turn! I live like a mile west, if you panned over to the left you'd come across the corner I made the mistake on.

M42 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 8, 2013

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I chicken out on leaning hard because I'm riding on the original lovely stock tires from 2003, and they're beginning to show signs of dry rot in the bottom of the tread. I bought new ones last night and I should have them on by the end of the month, and then I'll be all up in that leaning business :c00lbert:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My parents are visiting for a while and they are petrified by the motorcycle thing, so I'm not going to ride it while they're around. :v:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Do you not have a choke :confused:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That's something gopros are really useful for... having evidence if poo poo really goes down.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh man, that must have looked absolutely amazing.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Whaling on my front brake today to test the feel, while going at a low speed on spotty road surface like an idiot. Front tire lost contact, handlebars flung to the side, but my arms were loose and I just let go of the lever and everything sorted itself out. Kinda anticlimactic really.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I treat every driver as if they have less awareness than a stunned deaf cow. If you see someone doing dumb poo poo like that, you should lay on the horn but also simultaneously pull some kind of evasive/avoidance manouver - just reading that you beeped without doing anything while kinda passively being forced to the shoulder made my palms get sweaty. Muy malo, amigo. Never be passive on a bike.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Wasn't really an almost crash, but I had to do a pretty intense emergency brake today and lost grip on both my wheels for the first time (not seriously, just a little). Felt like I was riding on butter all of a sudden.

It actually felt really awesome :buddy: even though it means I really need to practice high speed emergency braking.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRGW3EaBxU

Doesn't look like much on video, but it was pretty wild. My buddy in front saw me in his mirrors and was certain I'd crash.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Honestly, it's happened at least once every time I've been out with my friends last month (we ride a lot of gravelly backroads). And it was fuckin fun each time. I want a dirtbike/sumo even more now.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ditto on the scratching triple part.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Tankslapper on the highway today. Hit a really unfortunate series of ripples/potholes/bumps with only one hand on the bar (was adjusting back protector). Pinched my hand between the tank and grip, and one of the headlight bolts backed almost the whole way out. Didn't crash. Pretty wild.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Unfortunately no, my gopro wasn't running :\ I really wish I had it on camera.

I have a really crappy headlight/gauge assembly at the moment, it doesn't fit together tightly. It shook a nut inside the headlight off its bolt, somehow. Had to reassemble it at a gas station.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gon have me some ABS on my next bike for sure. Glad the fucktard didn't hit you dude.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I wear a Forcefield L2K Evo every time I ride a street bike.

:hfive: As a bonus, never have to buy different shapes if you own multiple jackets from different brands.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The material it's made of is almost like a non newtonian fluid - flexible normally, instantly absorbs shock and stiffens when hit. I'm on my phone and can't find the link atm, but I know that the CE2 level for back protectors means no more that 9nm of force transmitted upon impact, and most back protectors hover a little under that, like 8nm or so. The forcefield stuff only transmits around 5nm iirc.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Verge posted:

My dick was hard at non-newtonian.

Somebody punched you in the crotch?

M42 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 30, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I was approaching an intersection on a one way street and some fuckwad decided to ignore like 40 one way signs and turn directly into my lane, right in front of me. :dings:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

did not chop the throttle and stayed loose

That.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I like roundabouts the way massachusetts does them. No lights, yield to traffic in roundabout, no problem.

Downtown DC, on the other hand, has the worst roundabouts I've experienced in my entire life. The light timing is unconscionable - when your roundabout light turns green, the next one 100 feet down will be turning red. Some of the streets that join the roundabout never get a green light - just a blinking yellow, so good loving luck getting in during anything even remotely approaching normal traffic. None of the lanes tell you where they're gonna end up, and most of them have some civil war confederate shithead statue in the middle so you can't see across. When people realize they're in the wrong lane they just fuckin fly across three others, missing a horrible pileup by a oval office hair. There's even a pedestrian crossing, perpendicular to roadway traffic, that is active when that roadway's light is green. Good job DC :downsbravo:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Woops, confused it with the appotomax in alexandria.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Razzled posted:

how mosickle go broom?

:laffo:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I would scrape stock position pegs on the sv with at least a half inch of tire remaining, probably 3/4" up front, oem sizes. It was probably poo poo in the road or whatever.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Good poo poo, we haven't had a bona fide generic squid in here for ages :discourse:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Stick around and put it out of its misery next time.

Then bring it home for some venison and colcannon 😍

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Just attach an old timey pedestrian slicer to your fender. No more mercy kill problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

hell, same

• Locked thread