Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Once in a while theres the typical person who merges onto the freeway then IMMEDIATELY tries to dive into the left most lane because it's A) Moving faster or B) Less cars in it. These type of people are also the type of people who will drive whatever speed they want in said lane and never yield to faster traffic.

Had a case of this yesterday, late model Honda Civic is just getting onto the freeway, immediately changing lanes left and left again with barely a signal, at this point i'm about side by side with him on the freeway and i'm like "Oh poo poo I bet he is going to go for this lane without checking his blindspot."

Of course he did try to change lanes into me but I was on the horn before he even moved over, although he was already 1/2 way into my lane before he realized a big white Suzuki sticker on blue plastic and swerved back over and waited till I passed, then moved over, and continued to become a smaller and smaller spec in my side mirrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

needknees posted:

Crosspostin 'dis from the trackday thread, because more people deserve to see how I almost died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvHtChodNk0

What the hell? Is that a 2008+ CBR 1000RR? Isn't the HESD supposed to prevent that from happening?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I hate those 6 wheeled montrosities, especially when they're in the middle lane on a 3 lane road. can't really squeeze by on either side, fuckers. Most of the time the bed is empty and theres one person driving.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
On brakes I usually use both front and rear on the GS500 and F2 brakes, I also tend to use the front first then apply a little bit of rear, I hate locking up the rear wheel, i've learned to modulate the front and rears properly though.

My BMW K75 rear brake is a drum, the front brakes are also pretty drat good though, I use both when I can, it's easy to lock that drat drum though, and shes a heavy bitch too.

Now my Ninja ZX-6R has some ridiculous radial mount front brakes which are incredibly strong, and the rear brake is hilariously weak, it feels like the front is doing about 90% of the stopping with the rear doing about 10%.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I was rolling through Sonoma's highway 12 on my way to get some late night dinner... I noticed a white range rover had pulled out of an intersection behind me and was following me kinda closely, keep in mind the speed limit is about 25mph and theres always TONS of highway patrol/local police/Sheriffs just looking for any reason to stop someone on a Saturday night. Anyways I didn't want to speed up to much, I was already doing just over 30mph... I gave a good 4-5 second right turn signal to indicate I was about to turn into a parking lot, so I brake a little, and turn in, in the middle of the turn I hear the sound of tires screeching and the honk of the horn of the range rover behind me as I guess he brakes to avoid hitting me from behind... loving idiot.

Anyways it would have sucked if he'd hit me :( I thought I did it everything alright and made my intentions very clear, I have a feeling the driver had a few drinks. It's pretty common around here for people to go wine tasting and don't realize they're over the limit to drive after swallowing too many samples.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Infinotize posted:

Random story time. Once I bought a used VFR800 in Ireland over the internet. Somehow, it worked out, and weeks later I found myself taking my new and somewhat-legal ride out for a spin on a country road. Man, this thing is a real pig, I thought. Really takes some manhandling to turn. On a couple really tight turns I had a few close calls on what should have been fun, tight corners, nearly running out of road. I hadn't ridden in a while and the bike had clipons, so I figured maybe it was just me. Anyway, I had limited tools and a tight schedule so I started my way across the country. A day and one slow drop later, I was on a boat to Wales. Next day, halfway across Britain at a gas, er, petrol station that had a free air hookup, I figure I've done a few hundred miles and it wouldn't hurt to do some basic upkeep and chain cleaning, etc. Bike still steers like a train but I'm getting used to it. Besides, it was freezing out, and that occupied most of my mental energy - making myself miserable by focusing on how cold I was. Step in the shop and pick up a crappy pressure gauge and some caffeine. Tires should be cool by now. Stoop down and measure the rear - it's fine. Now the front. 11 psi. I'd just been doing 70-90mph for hours on end... wonder if it was a hot day if it would have blown out on me. I'd been watching the pressure like a hawk after that, and it never leaked, and the handling was instantly cured, so I can only guess it was at 11 the whole time.

Also gently caress VFRs, that bike sucked, air or no air in the tires.

5th or 6th gen VFRs weigh in the ~500lb range so they're not exactly as light like a supersport or literbike, and the stock suspension is sprung on the softer side, they're meant more as all rounders than full on sporty machinery.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Middle of the day, i'm on my bright blue Kawasaki wearing a bright red jacket and i'm on the freeway #1 lane cruisin along, as i'm going by a blue ford focus, the person in it decides to change lanes into my lane when I am right next to her. I am thinking WTF and laid on the horn for a solid 2 seconds as shes slowly coming over, she doesn't even look in my direction, and as I of course give way we are side by side and I am nearly on the shoulder with my horn still on looking at her thinking WTF, after she finished changing lanes I am just bewildered, she finally notices that theres a blue motorcycle next to her near the shoulder and I just said gently caress it and went past her with judicious use of the throttle.

I mean I had plenty of room to avoid being hit but she was absolutely oblivious to the motorcycle near her driver door as she changed lanes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Main problem with speeding up initially was that there was a car not far in front of me, otherwise I would have accelerated earlier.

• Locked thread