Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dukkha
Jun 16, 2003
focus... on the pool.
Many years ago when I was riding to and from my engineering school every day I was getting a little too complacent and had a few sketchy moments.

1. Stopped at a light waiting to turn left. Light changed and I took off, cut my turn just a little too sharply and crossed the very end of the double yellow lines in the middle of the perpendicular road. Lost the front tire and just barely managed to slam my left foot down and somehow saved it. Worst part was I had seen them repainting those very lines on my way to class and just didn't give it a second thought.

2. I stupidly assumed the car in front of me was going to go through a yellow light. She slams on the brakes and actually locks up the tires on her car. I had been accelerating thinking I would get through the yellow as well. I ended up locking both wheels and slid a good distance in a straight line, somehow keeping the bike upright even though the back wheel was trying to pass the front. That was pretty exhilarating.

What to take away from that? Be careful? Slow down? Pretty common sense stuff to anyone other than a stupid college kid with an adrenaline problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread