Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I feel a tad silly posting an almost 0 mph drop in the almost crash thread, but this has to be shared.

I was pulling into a parking spot and noticed a plastic bottle in the left part of the spot. I went around it, stopped, put my left foot down and WHOA WHOA WHAT THE HELL sliding around everywhere until my heel finally hit down in time to catch the bike. I look down and

I kept that bastard, though I'm not entirely sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I had a bit of a moment a few weeks ago when a road crew put down 50 feet of metal plate. It was at night and in the rain for extra fun. Nothing happened since I avoided any inputs, but I'll take tar snakes any day over another wet steel adventure on knobbies.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Two reasons not to be dead center in the lane: You couldn't see anyone braking past the car in front of you, and you had nowhere to go without swerving.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Dutymode posted:

I had a situation a few days ago and I wonder if I could have done something differently.

I'm following a car about 2 seconds behind in a 35mph zone. We're passing an intersection with two vehicles turning left across my lane. The first one is an SUV. The SUV driver decides to turn between me and the car in front of me, instead of the hundreds of feet of empty space after me. I brake hard and honk. They make it past just fine, but the car behind them comes to a sudden stop. My guess is they couldn't see me because of the SUV, so when the SUV decided to go it looked all clear to them, so I was fortunate they saw me and stopped instead of gunning it through the turn. What could I have done here?

They probably never saw you. I make sure I'm on the far left of my lane for a bit as I approach a situation like this, and I often do a bit of a wiggle back and forth. I do that wiggle a lot when someone looks like they may be about to jump out in front of me, probably at least once a day.

I wish I could find the image, but someone posted a photo of a car at twilight waiting for a stop light opposite the camera. The caption said something like "look again for the motorcycle." There was a bike waiting just in front of the car with its headlight lined up with the car's headlight. Bikes are god drat hard to see.

• Locked thread