Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Spiffness posted:

It's also great for holding a bike on a steep hill.

Aye, I was going to say my rear brake is fantastic at keeping me still while I fiddle with something two-handed at a red light. I guess you could use it for hill starts too but the front is way easier imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Spiffness posted:

Whenever the shoulder allows I'll be in the left most lane on the left side of the lane, so that in a traffic situation like that I can dart up the left side of the car in front of me. If traffic comes to an abrupt stop like that I say gently caress the laws and I'll ease off into the shoulder coming to a stop next to the car that was in front of me if I have to, keeping an eye on the car behind me if I have time. If I don't have time and I need to stop so abruptly that I'm worried about hitting the car in front of me, I pretty much just assume I'm going to be rear ended and get out of the path of the car behind me regardless of if I think a crash is imminent. Like someone said, gently caress being unsheilded and waiting to get hit. If there is no shoulder, or there is a bridge, allow yourself more space, but the same strategy can be applied on the right side of the lane going into the middle, or even splitting between the guard rail and car if need be. I have had a car screech to a stop about a foot into where my bike would have been if I didn't already negate their poor driving by being two and a half feet over from where I would have laid bleeding.

I came to post this, I do (and have done) the same in the past. Also, one time I was following too closely years ago and I had to emergency stop, and I did the same thing, moving off to the side of the car. I ended up about a foot past his bumper so I would have given them a good thunk.

Guy on the Video: Didn't have an out, had a braking mistake that would have took more of his attention, and had some bad luck. The car hosed up major and you can't help that.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

SlightlyMadman posted:

LOL, donormobiles!

My mother/sister/aunt/friend/whoever is a nurse...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was at the start of the roads that everyone around here comes for this weekend, ready to have a great ride. Unfortunately for me, a train of cruisers had the same idea. Around here this isn't usually an issue. Firstly, the cruisers spend most of the time parked in front of various bars and restaurants aruond the three counties. Second, obviously they're looking for a smoother scenic ride, and this ride is a lot of turns and a lot less to look at (arguable, tho you have less time to). Well, I started passing them, sometimes illegally but sensibly. I'd pass on straights where it was a double yellow but clearly there was no one coming and it was easy to do it safely. Anyone who has ridden 40 miles out from a city knows what I mean.

Anyway, I'm about 15 bikes thru and getting a little tired of this, as it's taking forever to do safely because of all of the turns, and I was really trying to not be a dong.

I acted like a total dong.

We were coming up on a 90 degree right hander that was pretty slow because of a hard left shortly before it. I decided I was tired of waiting, and it was an area where I thought I had better visibility than I did, and I knew he'd be going slow as poo poo around that turn, so I decided to pass him in the exit of the turn. Lucky for me I was doing it slow and smooth on his left, unlucky for me there was a giant truck in the oncoming lane barreling towards me I didn't see. I had plenty of time and room to sneak back in my lane as I was only at about the double yellow, but it was still a stupid move. I should have waited for the upcoming straight with good visibility but I decided to have a little fun instead. It definitely made me take it easier the rest of the ride, after I passed the next 3 or 4 loving bikes.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oddly it seems to be a part of many of the close calls, I guess I should take a lesson from this.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Lots of the barriers around here aren't that high for someone on a bike, and there was an accident on a bridge earlier this year where a guy got hit and went over the side. Really awful stupid accident.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110624/NEWS01/110624006/Motorist-s-body-recovered-from-Ohio-River-man-identified

It's made me move towards the center lanes in bridges since.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Adding bash guard to the list of things to buy....

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Good decisions really. I've been lucky enough to not have that happen on a bike. Glad you made it out well.

I had something like that happen hiking. We came to the end of the trail and there was a hairy rock climb to get to a good view. When I was waiting for others to go up in front of me, my head got light, my vision got starry and started to tunnel, and I felt real weak. I stepped down and waited a bit, eating some and having some water, but I still passed on the climb eventually. It was super embarrassing as I'd talking about climbs that separate the men from the boys the day earlier. That day tho, my body failed me. I didn't have enough breakfast or whatever and I hadn't prepared myself for a risky climb. Or I'm just a pussy.

For me it was okay, it'll still be there. I'll get it. For you it's just good that you recognized it and could get off the road. That kind of thing could have easily turned into an evening news story.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Every time you ride a bike that's a step up from what you are used to is a beautiful thing.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Arcane posted:

They are dunlop tires. I'm getting a new tire, same brand. But the place that sold them to me is going to inspect it and try to figure out why it deteriorated like that.

What pressures were you running?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Almost got mooted by a geriatric on the last turn before home today.

She was the red line, I'm blue. We both started from a stop sign at the bottom of the screen, staggered. She was in front, and went first. I had to wait as another car turned left in front of me, then I went. She had changed into the right lane and was a bit ahead, but was probably only doing 20, when I think about it now. It's a fun turn, 35mph limit, so I rev up 1st then double shift up to 3rd and roll thru the turn, probably hitting about 40 or so as I exit. As I get into the turn I realize that she's going much slower than the speed limit, and as the turn straightens out I'm coming up right to the back of her car. I'm in my own lane still and so is she, although she's crowding the dashed line. It's about now I notice that while the turn is straightening out, she is not and the gap between her car and the double yellow is shrinking rapidly. I leaned a bit more then stood it up and got on the brakes. Right about then she seemed to realize I was there, and moved back over after occupying half of my lane.

It could have been ugly but a little bit of notice made it a simple "what the gently caress" handwave to an old rear end lady. In the future I'll probably keep it slower thru that turn when there are other cars around.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 27, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I got away with the jacket stuff before I got some mild luggage. It works better if you're skinny.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I imagine he'll describe the bike as "adult ridden, never raced" when he goes to sell it.

I was secretly hoping he'd lunch his motor every time he did that.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Is the center stand particularly low on that bike? For your speed and the turn I wouldn't expect anything to drag but I've not gotten close to that duke.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What the others said, and just commenting that you can prevent that by taking a much wider line into tight turns like that on the street. Stay to the edge of the road and turn in later.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If I'm holding the clutch in with my left hand at a stop light, how am I supposed to change songs on my phone and check twitter?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Wulframn posted:

Good post

The proper use of your brights (high-beams, whatever) is a completely lost art. I speak to my peers these days and it's the same stuff from everyone:

You keep them on all day to increase your visibility
    You keep them at all times at night so you can see further
    You flash them when someone pisses you off
    You flash them to signal a cop ahead

And other such nonsense. Your brights exist for one primary reason: to increase the distance at which you can see at night or in limited visibility situations. These situations exclude dust/sand storms, blizzards, heavy rain and/or fog. You would do better to simply use your low beams rather than have your hi-beams bounce off the dust/sand/rain/sleet/snow/fog back into your face.

You may use your brights at night when there are no vehicles within a reasonable distance in front of you and there are no oncoming cars at virtually any distance at which you can see them coming. If you even remotely suspect that you may be blinding or distracting them with your brights you probably are; turn them the gently caress off.

You may flash your brights around other cars, at night, if you need clarification on a potential hazard or emergency situation arising. Example: a car is oncoming or nearby in front of you but you suddenly notice a shadow moving near the edge of the road. Is it a deer? A dog? A person? Flash those brights, get an idea, and then turn them back off asap. You'd better have a good excuse to do this; especially when you find out that oncoming car you just flashed was a cop and he's u-turning to pull you over for blinding him suddenly or, god-forbid, because he thought you were trying to signal him that there was another cop behind you to watch for. (I grew up in the forest where we ocassionally needed to do this to avoid deer. In a city you should never do this, it's bright enough and there are no deer.)

You should not use your brights as a signal to other drivers that there is a cop ahead (of them, or behind you) they need to look for. Many serious criminals are caught as a matter of a routine traffic stop: Timothy McVeigh and Ted Bundy are two excellent examples.

Sometimes it is acceptable to use your brights to signal someone or catch their attention if you need to make them aware of a hazard or even yourself. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, if I suspect someone doesn't notice me behind them I will quickly flash my brights, during the day, (at night my low beam does this by default) in their outside rear-view mirror once. This has been very effective.

Sorry for the lecture; but I often have people get behind me with their brights on or drive into my face with their brights. Actually, one night I was out riding and had some idiot with their brights on behind me and a whole string of traffic, save one or two people, oncoming with their damned brights on, too. I ended up having to navigate by using the fog-line to get to a place where I could safely pull over and let people pass me since I was basically blind. Misuse of the high-beams is a pet-peeve of mine.
Now come on, tell us how you really feel.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

ArbitraryTA posted:

Luckily I had just come out of the turn and leveled out so it wasn't too much of a problem to brake but I was literally close enough to pet the thing as I rolled on by. It was one of the little ones too, poor thing probably got separated from its family.

Woah woah woah woah woah woah....now you're new here so it's okay, everybody gets one. Sympathy for deer is not allowed, available emotions that you can have for them include: anger, contempt, hatred, disapproval, animosity, disgust, or personally I go with seething rage. If you continue to feel anything but these for these "poor thing" road rats you can just :frogout:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Appreciate that, because out east here people try to run you off the road for the egregious violation of passing them while gridlocked.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
At least one of them was carrying but smart enough to not get it out.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Snowdens Secret posted:

Sucks to hear that story. So the guy wasn't being belligerent, he was just on the phone not paying attention?

Story of 9/10 of dangerous drivers in my experience.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's been posted a few times, goon invision is in there somewhere too. I only remember a few that I thought were fatalities for sure though. There was one where a dude goes right into the back of a truck with hard pipes on it and the body sticks to the truck and doesn't drop down before the car passes...that dude ded.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's a good reminder to avoid hanging around in blind spots.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I had my first close one in a while today. I was flying up a back road at 110, popping a wheelie and flipping off any cops that happened to be in a southerly direction while N.W.A. blasted in my headphones. Suddenly a left turn came outta fuckin' nowhere! There was no way I was gonna make it but I thought "gently caress that turn, can't tell me what to do" and nailed the front brakes to pull the biggest stoppie known to man. It wasn't gonna be enough so I sat the rear wheel down then locked 'er up as I clutched in and slammed it down three gears. I thought I might have to lay 'er down but I dumped the clutch, spun up the rear at full opposite lock and drifted that poo poo thru the turn. I turned that drift right back into a wheelie and I was outta there. There was a farmer standing there with his jaw dropped but I just brushed that poo poo off and got back up to triple digits directly.

All in all a valuable lesson learned: FTP.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Whoops, I forgot to come back and post what really happened.

I did have my first butt pucker moment in a while and I only got out of it cause I was lucky as hell.

Situation: I had just finished a section of road I know blindfolded and went onto a new section of that road for the first time. Like a moron I was still riding like I knew the road despite it being unfamiliar. I also ignored a warning that it was a tight turn ahead. My helmet was bugging me so I was using my left hand to adjust it when I saw a left turn arrow coming up.

There had been a few of these earlier but they were all on easy turns, so I didn't pay this one the heed I needed to. I was still messing with my helmet here.

About here I start to realize that the turn is tighter than I thought and I grab the bars and hit the brakes, but in my mind this is going to be iffy cause I was too quick and off the right line. I was braking hard and just trying to time when to let off and tip in when my view changed.

And a glorious run off road appeared. As soon as I saw empty road to the side I just let off the brakes and went straight. Very lucky too, I'm still not sure I would have been able to make the turn. The google images are hard to tell but the road goes off camber a lot after the apex of the turn, and the pavement was crap. You can see by the guard rail in the pics that someone else had trouble there too, it wasn't that screwed up when I went by.

I had my attention off the road, I ignored warnings and I was riding in the wrong mindset for my knowledge of the road. It was a perfect storm of stupidity and I got 100% bailed out by that street.

Thank you Straight Shoot Road http://goo.gl/maps/MkP2e

nsaP fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 24, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Then how am I supposed to check instagram?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

prukinski posted:

I was about to say I can't believe that, but then I remembered this:

A few months ago, one of the Campbelltown's delightful meth-heads blocked me from lane splitting through stationary traffic past her beater by trying to ram me - as in, saw I was going to pass, slammed on the accelerator to deliberately come out of her lane to ram my bike. She missed by maybe a centimeter because I grabbed the brakes in time. She then got out of her shitbox car and started to scream at me - in mid-day traffic - that I should "wait my loving turn you dumb oval office." Someone moved their car to let me get around her before it got any worse. I was about a foot taller than her and seeing red, so thank God that ended how it did.

A couple of weeks after that, my girlfriend and I were riding through Parammatta when a guy in a performance ute saw her go past and decided that no women was going to ride a sportsbike in his town. Again, another deliberate ram. I'm sure he just meant to scare her / show off and pull away at the last minute, but he lost control of his bullshit lowered douche-wagon and instead of swerving away, started fishtailing out-of-control into her bike. By sheer luck, he missed by gnat's dick. I was so shocked that it happened that I just stared (I was behind them both). I didn't get his license plate, snd besides, I'm not sure what I could have done except complain to the police that Sydney's western suburbs are full of white trash sacks of poo poo.

For those of you lucky enough not to know, Campbelltown and Parramatta are where Sydney keeps its cretin supply. Sadly: also where the best Polish delis are. Oh man they sell good pickles.

Anyway, I'm glad your psycho missed too.

I wouldn't believe that stuff either if it didn't happen to me, the first time I did it even. On a wide 4 lane road there was a lot of traffic, and a lot of car drivers not paying attention. A light would go green and because no one was looking only a fraction of the line made it thru the light. The first time I sat thru 2 cycles and still didn't go I decided I was filtering to the front of the light. I did this on 3 or 4 more lights. The road ended in a highway on ramp and a short way down the highway a guy in a truck caught up to me and was yelling at me out of his window. I cracked open the throttle but it was one of my first times riding a little 250 and the throttle did nothing. I ended up trying to put a few cars in between us after he swerved at me and eventually he hosed off. People have a weird view towards it.

In a facebook group for my friends I posted a youtube vlog from a country where lane splitting was legal and the rider was doing it a lot. My friend didn't know it was legal and called him an rear end in a top hat and said it was "disrespectful".

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It made me want to carry an asp if he followed me till I stopped. Someone here suggested mace. I was just cruising past the cars at 5mph at a red light but you'd have thought I was kle621

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn7Iappgjp0&t=120s

ed: (watch a 2:00 to 3:00 at least)

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 3, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He let youtube stabilize his video, that's where the weird effect is coming from.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
My bad I didn't realize you were talking about kle621, thought you were talking about screibs video.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I find it annoying messing with my gopro on the times where I take it out to record something on purpose. I can't imagine doing that every ride.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nothing hard about mounting it. It's everything else. I change settings so there's that. Gotta charge the battery every time and make sure my card is empty, then I have to worry about what I'm doing with my gopro once I get where I'm going. If I wanted an accident cam or whatever I'd find something more purpose made for it that I could hard wire.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
High 5 ^5

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

hot sauce posted:

Whelp, had my first "oh poo poo" moment last weekend coming home from a short ride. I was about 3 blocks from my apartment in pretty dense downtown traffic and just went through the light at about 15 mph. I look over my shoulder to see if there is room for me to change lanes left. As I turn my head forward, the SUV in front of me has slammed on the brakes to a full stop. I hit the brakes pretty hard but didn't lock them up, stopping about a foot from their bumper. It really shocked me how quickly things in front of me changed with a half second glance over my shoulder.

The sun does not have no prisoners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1IIELT-79E

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Get used to it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Dang that's pretty aggressive for a delivery truck. Usually I only see that kind of driving from taxis. Nice one on making it out.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yep you're right.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You can use the front, you just have to be easy on it at first and smooth with it. Locking it isn't an immediate crash once you're vertical, there's time to let off if you do. Maybe hit up a parking lot sometime and practice a bit with hitting the front from leaned over. There is a limited amount of traction for turning and braking but it doesn't go 100% one way or 100% to the other. You have traction for braking when leaned over, just less. As you get on the brakes the bike will want to straighten up too so you'll get more and more traction for slowing down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

If your suspension is set right, the bike shouldn't stand up on the brakes at all. Most people unconsciously bring the bike upright as they brake through countersteering.

Go on.

• Locked thread