Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiscoKid
May 25, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Scrapez posted:

After seeing a few "almost crash" stories in the Crash Test thread, I thought maybe we should have a thread dedicated to the subject.

I know I've learned a lot as a beginning rider from my near misses and this thread could be valuable for learning what not to do.

I'll start with my near miss the other day:

I was riding on a city street that has two lanes of traffic. I was in the outside lane. The two lanes of traffic were going to merge up ahead and there was a left hand turn lane up ahead where people turn to get onto the Interstate. The left lane was bumper to bumper with stopped traffic because the left hand turn lane was full and backed up out into the left lane of thru traffic.

In my infinite wisdom, :siren:I thought it would be smart to speed up a little to pass all of the waiting cars in the left lane:siren: before the lanes merged into one. The problem was that there were a set of railroad tracks, a really really rough set of railroad tracks as it turned out. I gave it a little gas and was probably doing 5 over the speed limit when I hit the tracks. When I hit the tracks, my left hand slipped off the grip from the impact which caused the front wheel to turn to the right. The front wheel must have been off the ground at this point. Immediately, I thought I was hosed and let off the throttle. Just as I was grabbing the bar again, the back tire hit the tracks and catapulted me off the seat.

I'm not really sure how I didn't wreck. When I came down on the other side of the tracks, my left hand was barely grabbing the bars and I was 3/4 of the way off the seat on the left side of the bike.

So, what did I learn?

1. Don't be in a hurry. There was no reason to speed up and try to get around the line of cars. I was just joy riding, nowhere to be so what the hell? Stupid.

2. Railroad tracks are not to be hosed with. Always assume they are extremely rough and slow down! I saw the sign and disregarded it since all tracks I've ever been over were smooth.

I was lucky. I should have wrecked and it would have been no one's fault but my own.

So, what are your near miss stories and what could you have done to prevent the situation?

Edit: If a mod could change the icon from poo poo post that would be cool. I post as well as I ride.

Stopped reading here.

Learn your lesson. Get on with it, and don't. Just..don't.

edit:

quote:

I gave it a little gas and was probably doing 5 over the speed limit when I hit the tracks. When I hit the tracks, my left hand slipped off the grip from the impact which caused the front wheel to turn to the right. The front wheel must have been off the ground at this point.

You're either lying, don't belong on a motorcycle, or both.

DiscoKid fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread