Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick
Took a ride around the city the other day literally 1 week after taking my MSF with very little experience and had one of those retrospectively pants-making GBS threads moments.

Coming down a hill doing around 70 kph, I notice a green light ahead thats just changed to amber. 1st mistake: I could, and should, have run it because I would have easily made the red. Instead, I decided to be a RESPONSABLE AND COURTEOUS SHARER OF THE ROAD and stop. Riding a KLX250SF I have become used to a really good rear brake and with hindsight rely on it far too much; I lock the rear immediately even before I have time to apply front, stop thinking and go into tunnel vision mode. Release rear brake, reapply then grab a handful of front. Now I pull a mean stoppie that prob got me at least 6" of rear elevation before coming to rest 3' into the intersection with a good 15' skid behind me and slightly cocked to the left.

Immediately afterwards I really didn't feel that scared, and it was only when my riding partner came up and scolded me and I was lying in bed later that night that I realised just how bad of a mistake it was. Not shockey, just completely unawares of the gravity of the mistake I had made and just how poorly it could have gone had the intersection not been clear.

I have so much to learn and so many things to remember and I honestly wonder sometimes how I am ever going to remember everything :(

EDIT: I should add, however, that I was not totally hopeless. I did immediately clutch in, throttle off completely and tap down to 1st. So there's some silver lining, I suppose....

Ghostpilots fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread