Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
A few months back I was following a tradesman in his ute (pickup to you yanks), and an entire sheet of gyprock (drywall I think you guys call it, or gypsum board?) got loose from its restraint and became airborne, landing on the road and smashing into bits. Myself and two other drivers were unable to avoid the pieces tumbling along the road and damaged our cars hitting it.

That was a great lesson, because I know on the bike I will be attentive to that sort of thing in future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Mushika posted:

Nearly got rear-ended by a dick in a Buick

In our pre-learner training in Australia it is taught to us that as you slow down to a stop you check your mirrors and ascertain whether the vehicle behind you appears to be slowing too, in conjunction with maintaining a "ready" position once stopped (first gear, back brake on, head up and monitoring mirrors) until vehicles behind you are stopped also. At least this way you are poised to react if it looks like someone behind you has dozed off or is in a particularly engrossing mobile phone conversation.

Sounds like you would have seen this coming had you done something similar, and in your case you had an easy escape route, i.e. gas it straight ahead. Glad to hear the guy was able to miss you though!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

-Inu- posted:

..I have LED's in my tail which aren't as visible as OEM.

Why on Earth would you do this? To put a light on the back of your bike which is less bright than stock seems crazy to me. The whole point of LEDs is the brilliance of the light they put out when done right, surely? I'm working on an LED conversion for my tail light at the moment and one of the goals was specifically to be brighter than the stock unit so that it makes the bike more visible:

Sure there's a lot of work in it (I'm still working on the plan to integrate it with the bike's wiring), but it will be a substantial upgrade in terms of visibility. It happens to look great too, but if it hadn't met that prime requirement I'd have aborted it or gone back to the drawing board..

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

-Inu- posted:

I don't really subscribe to the idea that higher visibility really helps much as far as safety goes. I've seen people in full hi-vis gear and reflective tape all over get taken out because the person in the car simply didn't look at all. I prefer to ride with the mindset that everyone is going to do the most retarded thing possible and plan my escape routes accordingly.

Sure, you still have to be prepared because having bright lights doesn't change the fact that people can still be oblivious fuckheads, but surely dimmer lights just decrease the chances of being seen even further. Being the brightest active light source in someone's field of view certainly can't hurt. Stand by for the update when I am rear-ended due to the driver behind me being dazzled. :P

Did you make those yourself?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

-Inu- posted:

Definitely -- having brighter lights won't do anything except help you. It's just that in my case I feel that the tradeoff of having slightly dimmer lights for a gain of extra convenience is worth it.

They're LED strips, I drilled each hole individually and popped them in.

Details and pics are in my project thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3388968

Fair enough. :) If you could find a way to have the individual LEDs firing straight backwards you should get a decent boost in brightness, but judging by the pics of the rear fairing and the LED strips that would be a bit tough.

Anyway I'll be sure to post finished pics of mine when it's all on the bike.

/derail

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

This riding like a dong thing seems to be contagious. :)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Nearly did an RdP on the way to work this morning. Was slowly rolling up the inside of some stopped cars at a traffic light, light goes green as I'm hitting the rear door of the car at the front. Road's quite wide at that point so I roll on from about 2000rpm in 1st and next thing I know the rpms shoot straight up and the rear wheel is going 45deg in every direction. I think I must've got into the power as I hit the white line or maybe cold tyres (it was pretty chilly this morning) but I'm pretty sure I puckered the seat cover off. Thankfully I didn't back off the throttle and get spat off, but gently caress me that's the first close call I've had in ages.

[/:dong:ridin']

I think that means you did a Spies?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Shimrod posted:

You're Australian aren't you? If that cop shows that video he'll get in poo poo - max speed allowed for chases (and they have to be approved to even start) or anything police related is 140km/h. Jokes on him!

Nah dude he's in Sweden or somewhere like that I think.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

This one happened to me a couple of months back when I was ferrying my mate's new-to-him CB400 over to his place (he was not yet licensed for it), I forgot to post the video. Nothing too dramatic, just the usual poo poo, a driver not being aware of a motorcyclist's presence, and not making any special effort to check for one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DdP7SHaWOU&hd=1

In hindsight, that's a popular pie joint coming up on the left, and I should have seen the car ahead stopping and anticipated that the guy behind him may get impatient and try to go around, even though it looked like he was going to stop.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 27, 2012

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

_Dav posted:

I always come across as hoiler-than-though with videos like this, and I assure you it's not actually intended; but, that black car was obviously slowing down, at which point you stayed in the White cars blind spot. You should always aim to avoid blind-spots, fuckit tug the throttle a little over the speed limit or sit back till you can see the driver in their mirrors. You always, always want to avoid sitting where you're not seen/expected. The car moved over slowly enough for you to avoid any problems, but if s/he swung into your lane, you would have been positioned awfully for the situation.

Yeah, I get that. As I said, I should have seen the car ahead slowing down and made preparations accordingly - I would say that I wasn't sitting in that white car's blind spot so much as passing through it at a very bad time. It's academic when the poo poo hits the fan and you're in the wrong place, of course.

Aargh posted:

I've gotten so used to that poo poo by Sydney drivers now that its almost an instinctive reaction to start covering the brake and looking for a place to run off when i see cars start to slow in the other lane.

Yeah, this was my first time riding in a couple of months so my fuckwitdar and general observational skills would have been a bit rusty. Hoping as I get some more kms on the bike (after getting some warmer gloves, jesus) I'll be much more eagle-eyed.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Aargh posted:

I've discovered silk liners definitely make summer gloves better for the chilly mornings.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. Went liking for something to combine with my gloves last night but had pretty much resigned myself to buying winter gloves. Where did you get your liners?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

My understanding is that you're supposed to keep throttle constant in those situations, not back off. Glad you managed to hang on!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Shimrod posted:

Hmm, ok, now I know for next time. Thanks! When I say I let off the throttle it was only minutely, I didn't want it to rapidly slow down or anything, I probably only dropped 500 - 1000rpm a most.

So you're saying that you neither held the throttle constant, nor increased it slightly? :P

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

In Sydney these days there seems to be an epidemic of really poorly-aimed headlights. They should make it part of our yearly roadworthy checks which are done before registration. So often when driving I am blinded by oncoming cars or cars following me, and then I realise they don't even have their high beams on. Often it will just be one light which is dazzling. I'm not even sure how this happens, it's not like putting a new bulb in moves the headlight housing so I can only guess people are replacing their own headlights with wrecker parts due to breakage or foggy lenses and not paying any attention to the aim.

Someone pointed out to me recently though that cabbies deliberately aim their kerbside headlight high because it better illuminates house numbers etc. They have loving spotlights on the sides of their roof specifically for this purpose though so I would love to see cops throwing the book at the shitheads.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I don't think it's poorly aimed headlights, I think it's that every shithead and his dog had HID lights these days. Hate those loving things.

Nah, there are definitely plenty of poorly-aimed standard headlights on all sorts of very plain cars. You can usually spot the HID fuckwits because aside from the lights being blinding, for some reason they all seem to have a hardon for the disgustingly high colour temperature burners.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

From what I've heard of the Sydney trials they're almost bound to fail, because as I understand it they're going to measure the difference in traffic flow before and during the trial, and compare the results. The thing is, the trial is only legalising behaviour which is already extremely common, so it's unlikely to make much difference at all.

They'd have been better off just allowing it everywhere for a period of three months or something like that, and see if it seemed to cause any problems. If no major dramas, make it legal.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

The rules are also incredibly restrictive, including not letting past the stop line so you'll have a queue of bikes stacked up between traffic, which is just a totally awesome idea.

Yeah, also that. I was thinking about this the other day, and whether we might eventually see a bike section in front of where the cars stop, but I'm guessing not, because that would mean that the loops for the traffic lights would be under the bike section unless they were dug up and moved, which isn't going to happen.

Anyway, typical case of loving bureaucrats not being able to put together a pretty simple test, or perhaps someone doesn't actually want filtering to become legal, so they're rigging the game. I guess it's partly also down the to the filtering lobby touting the benefits of decreased congestion, which I'd wager are pretty mild anyway. A better angle to work would be rider safety IMO.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

echomadman posted:

They would just lay new loops and swap the wires over in the control panel. the loops are just regular wire put down into slots cut in the tarmac and sealed in with a bituminous sealant. there's way less work and cost in just laying new ones.
They've put forward stop boxes on loads of junctions here recently, supposed to be only for bicycles but no one cycles in our poo poo weather so they're great for getting ahead f cars at a light without being in the path of people turning into the junction especially truck trailers when they dont take the turn wide enough.

I've never really thought deeply on it, but it hadn't even occurred to me that they're just wires in slots, LOL. I guess the square cut in the road is suggestive of a solid slab which could be removed and have something laid under it. Facepalm.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

You can get Scotchlite tape in a variety of colours, including silver, no doubt. Check eBay.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Jesus Wulframm, that sounds like a real poo poo sandwich there.

People who overtake bikes without fully leaving the bike's lane gently caress me off SO HARD. It's happened to me a few times and it makes my blood boil because what if I have to swerve around something in my lane? I shouldn't have to check my blind spot to be assured of safety in that instance.

I even had a dipshit on a scooter do it to me last week, and I have no idea where he came from but I was practicing dodging things by going around little manhole covers etc. on a straight road and this twat just loving misses me as I do a little swerve to the left and he overtakes me, wholly within my own lane. Way to let the team down, buddy.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Rode the bike for the first time in a couple of months today as we finally had some pretty nice weather and I wasn't busy, and I was quite enjoying it. As I neared my parents' place (family home where I grew up so very familiar roads) I started hot-dogging it a little (by the standards of most here I was not even warm-dogging, I'm sure, just wringing it out a bit through a corner I like, and some mild speeding. I ended up well within the 3 second safety buffer I should have been leaving to the car in front, against my better judgement. At that point a taxi in front of him initiates a dodgy u-turn by swinging into and then back out of a side street, causing the dude in front of me to come to a quick stop. I calmly thought "oh gently caress", started applying the brakes, and as I was almost coming to a stop realised I had the rear locked, as I felt the rear of the bike was loose. Stopped a couple of feet short of the bumper in front of me, cursed myself for being such a silly boy, gave the cabbie a blast of the horn and some angry gesticulation, and went on my way. Weirdly, I felt completely calm, no adrenaline at all.

Checked on my way home and sure enough, there's nice long skidmark there. I'm not sure I was grabbing enough front brake, I feel like maybe I went light on the front and heavy on the back. Time for some stopping drills, I think.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

KARMA! posted:

When breaking heavily the weight shifting to the front makes it a lot easier to lock the rear, which is why some advanced courses teaches to not use the rear brake when emergency stopping. Whether they're right or not I'm not too sure.

In any case, glad you kept it cool and knew exactly what to do. I probably need to do those drills with my new-to-me bike as well...

Yeah, I locked my rear a little in my emergency stop test when getting my provisional license (which is fine). I just wasn't convinced even in the moment that I was breaking as hard as I should have been with the front. I guess I stopped, so I was. I wonder if I'd have braked harder if I'd judged that I wasn't going to stop in time, though.

Next bike will definitely have ABS, but I'd prefer it never kicks in...

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

M. Night Skymall posted:

..assumed since he was a Taxi he'd at least signal before trying to kill me.

What is this planet you are you from where taxi drivers are not the shittiest drivers on the road? Taxi drivers are the absolute worst, hands down, as others have said. My mind boggles at the kind of completely careless and lazy poo poo they do constantly.

Glad to hear you got away unscathed, dude. But taxis are basically would-be manslaughterers, treat them accordingly.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Jesus, that was infuriating to watch. What a loving prick!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

:eng101: Mynah.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Dragged the front brake instead of the rear while letting the clutch out a bit for low speed manouevres, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Verge posted:

chock it up

No, chalk it up.

• Locked thread