Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

occipitallobe posted:

Not sure if this really counts as a near-crash, but close enough is good enough.

I was in a hurry to get to uni the other day, so I rolled my bike out of the garage, and got off for a moment to close the garage rolling door. I immediately jumped back on, and somehow landed on my right testicle as I hit the seat. The pain shocked me so much I ended up toppling over towards the ground, pulling the bike with me.

Trying not to laugh at the mental image of this playing out. Hope your balls are ok :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Does hitting a HUGE pot hole at 30 mph count? It was dark and I just didn't see it until it was too late. I had time to lift up off the seat for a second but slammed into it pretty hard. No wobble or any damage on the bike from what I could see.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Whelp, had my first "oh poo poo" moment last weekend coming home from a short ride. I was about 3 blocks from my apartment in pretty dense downtown traffic and just went through the light at about 15 mph. I look over my shoulder to see if there is room for me to change lanes left. As I turn my head forward, the SUV in front of me has slammed on the brakes to a full stop. I hit the brakes pretty hard but didn't lock them up, stopping about a foot from their bumper. It really shocked me how quickly things in front of me changed with a half second glance over my shoulder.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Modern Day Hercules posted:

It's amazing how many of these stories involve lane splitting. It's almost as if that's something that's legitimately dangerous to do.

:gb2gbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E88HEuwInno

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So I had a near-drop last night. I keep my bike in a semi enclosed area at the back of my apartment building that you access through a regular size door. It's just barely wide enough for my bike to fit through, but it works. It was a little trickier last night, because there was a used condom sitting right in front of the doorway I have to roll through. As I'm trying to worm my way around this obstacle I lose balance and it starts to lean over. Luckily I managed to not drop it but strained my back a bit holding it upright. This is actually not the first time I've had to dodge things while parking, just the first time I've lost my balance doing so. Oh, the joys of living in a city :gizz:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I had to google what a huntsman was. Holy poo poo.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A friend let me store my bike inside of his apartment this past weekend so we could all compile into one car for a trip. To get my bike to the backdoor of his place, I had to ride across some damp grass. Gave it a little too much throttle and the rear end kicked out leaving a rather impressive skid mark. Laying it down would have sucked, considering that I'm currently trying to sell it :doh:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
While I agree that the traffic circles in DC are a mess, none of the statues at any of them are confederate.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TheNothingNew posted:

... or not in the ditch at all since I would have been going slower by myself.

This one is really important to remember.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

builds character posted:

Go buy a cheap dirt bike and ride in the dirt.

This is the best advice. There is a class in NC called Cornerspin that a few of us have done that was basically two days of getting the rear tire to break loose. If I had a place to ride a dirt bike, I'd buy a cheap one and do those drills as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Whoa, glad you didn't get hit. I always wait for the car to turn in this situation whether I'm riding or driving. Sometimes the turning car decides to go straight too.

• Locked thread