Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Rear brake used:

- In conjunction with the front pretty much always. Got that drilled into my head because systematically failing to do so meant failing the exam.
- Anything slow. crawling traffic, residential areas where you can't really go over 15, that sort of thing. Because it's weak compared to the front, its very easy to dose. Also, my front discs have a slight warp which is annoying and makes judging where you stop harder.
- Stopping on any elevation.

I love my rear brake! I'm closeted cruiser man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
How about using them simultaneously? Radical, I know. That's just how I roll.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I just found out that I have no more material on my rear pad. :bang: That teaches me that rear brakes wear, too.

:siren: NEVER use the rear people so this won't happen to you! :siren:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Also, the rear tightens a turn. It is not much, but you can feel the difference when braking hard in a turn. you have to counter the front's tendency to stand the bike up, but the rear keeps following the turn.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
that guy mashed his rear way too hard, but he didn't crash into the car in front of him so I can't fault him for that. However, it wasn't much of an emergency braking situation as a 'did not see the jam soon enough to back off speed a lot earlier as to keep control and not end up in an emergency situation' situation. And he did not check his mirrors when he emergency braked.

To be honest, I wouldn't look behind me if I had to brake in an emergency either. :blush:

Edit: another option would be to swerve and point yourself in between the two cars, but whatever emergency maneuver he'd chosen he would have to practiced it properly to be aware of them being an option. Always do your controlled emergency drills, people!

karms fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 25, 2011

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Always always assume the worst on the road and get yourself out of a potentially dangerous situation asap. Proper road etiquette isn't incentive at all for a sketchy driver to keep their end of the traffic rules deal, and lord knows how many accidents happens because of inattentive drivers (hint: all of them).

Because it is so drat easy for human brains to blink us out of existence, you get the short end of the stick as a motorcyclist.

edit: yesterday some dude was too engrossed in his tomtom he did not understand that he was riding on both lanes going 20 in a 50 zone, swerving and speeding up. I took four left turns, gently caress that poo poo.

karms fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 25, 2011

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Always put your disc lock either against the suspension or the brake caliper depending on how you intend to move out of the parking spot! :)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Mister Duck posted:

Took it out and decided to wind it out in 1st. I must have hit it too hard because the front came right up (first time ever for me) and I chopped the throttle from fright.

How do you people keep doing this? :confused:

(derpaderp its easy just wring the throttle derpaderp :downs:)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Xovaan posted:

why people buy coffee when adrenaline is in such plentiful supply is beyond me

A car called destiny.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

modify_evolution posted:

I braked so hard my bike shut off.

You mean you forgot to clutch in? ;) However, there was nothing broken or hurt so that's a successful manoeuvre in my book!

Freaking out when doing an emergency anything is because you haven't practised the act enough to commit it to muscle memory. Or at least brain memory. I'm not a saint in that regard and I should do them too, but that's the answer to your question.

And better awareness but that's not something you can really train for. That's a mixture of close calls, butt-in-seat hours and a healthy dose of adult decision making.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

ReelBigLizard posted:

Actually the road on that corner is in great condition, it's been raining on and off all weekend and my tires have great tread. I'm pretty sure I just rolled on too much throttle because I was getting cocky.

Good for you for staying on the throttle and the bike. Wet weather has a bit of a habit of throwing all kinds of slippery patches in your path. Don't think for a second the grip is as even as on dry, because for me most of my 'oh poo poo' moments are on the 'safe' parts of the road in the wet.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I know that the reason that texting is not explicitly mentioned in Dutch law is because it is impossible to uphold it. Are you just holding the phone in your hand or are you texting your way into oncoming traffic? At least with talking on the phone the law states that holding up a phone to your ear == talking on phone.

If your driving's erratic the cops always have the option of slapping an article 5 on you, which is a catch-all "where the gently caress did you get your license" law.

karms fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 27, 2013

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Bull Fireman posted:

I'm not worried about doing something stupid and crashing. I'm worried about everyone else.

Welcome to motorcycling!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Checked on my way home and sure enough, there's nice long skidmark there. I'm not sure I was grabbing enough front brake, I feel like maybe I went light on the front and heavy on the back. Time for some stopping drills, I think.

When breaking heavily the weight shifting to the front makes it a lot easier to lock the rear, which is why some advanced courses teaches to not use the rear brake when emergency stopping. Whether they're right or not I'm not too sure.

In any case, glad you kept it cool and knew exactly what to do. I probably need to do those drills with my new-to-me bike as well...

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

EightBit posted:

Tell him that Death Race was a documentary :v:

You're laughing now, but you have to live in that transportation quagmire. :smuggo:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

ReelBigLizard posted:

For safety or embarrassment?

I think you haven't been a biker for very long if you do'nt know the answer to that question.

It's embarrassment.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
The real danger of riding beyond your skill level is getting scared and tensing uo. Tensing up, especially in the arms and shoulders, makes the bike suddenly very hard to steer. If you're not convinced, you can try it for yourself in familiar surroundings: ride a regular pace and lock up your arms, you'll find the bike tracking like a train. It's a cool lesson in remembering that the bike is much more capable than you are (...most of the time).

Looking where you want to go is only half of it. An important half, sure, but never forget to relax those arms!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Today's close call:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M67tKHZvL6w

Really wishing I had ABS there, as it would have given me another option.

Thoughts?

My opinion: you were filtering too fast. That pace is acceptable if the traffic has stopped completely, but when it's crawling people will be (ineffectually) change lanes whenever there's a gap. You need to confirm no one is trying to shoot for one before moving beyond it. And unfortunately that means slowing way down.

As for the incident itself, braking or swerving, not enough time to react either way.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
You can also brake in a corner. Don't wack on it, just easy up gently.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Marv Hushman posted:

Race condition exists between preservation and replication circuits. Alert the design team.

"We have replicated the issue and found that over 83% cases there is enough throughput to exceed homeostasis. We recommend that no action should be taken."

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
An evening of good gusts and my bike fell over. Again. :( In a completely unrelated note I love frame sliders a whole bunch.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Please people, it's called a rotonde. Get your facts straight!

I have to say, I pretty much never have problems with other people in traffic. Are you guys sure it's the other people?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh cool roundabout-chat. Time to just drop this into the mix:

At least it saves on electricity bills?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I think the kids today would call you "thirsty af".

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Keket posted:

God drat I need better tires. And to remember how to drive in the rain and not be as aggressive.

I was heading into London yesterday when a lady in the fast lane decided to undercut the car in front of her, causing me to have to get on the brakes pretty sharp as she cut across my front, did the usual honk and middle finger (because seriously, didn't even indicate, gently caress you). But still thinking about/keeping an eye on the dumbass I was a dumbass myself and ended up hydroplaning the rear a bit coming to a stop at the lights. Eh, whatever, I was braking pretty hard anyway.

Then it happened again, and again... And again. The last time saw me sliding halfway into an intersection with the rear feeling like it was on ice (and in my head, swinging around madly, it probably only shifted a little each side).

So combine my lovely tires with me being a bit too aggressive with engine braking, lovely road conditions and just forgetting how to ride in the rain, my rear was probably sliding instead of locking up, right? I've had the rear lock on dry ground before and this felt totally different. Scared the hell out of me as all of these slides where below 30mph.

Oh and then on the way home I got sideswiped by a loving delivery driver on a scooter, felt his wing mirror and elbow slap my side as he did a retarded overtake before disappearing into the distance.

1) Congrats about not dying a bunch of times.

2) If you feel the rear slide it's because it lost traction. Common reasons are wet tar snakes, wet paint, poo poo tyres, sand, wetness, and any combination of the former. If you also heard a squealing sound emanating from your rear tyre then your bike just blew itself up or you went harambe on your rear brake. My guess is poo poo tyres. What are the tyres' date codes?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Super Slash posted:

Wow, today's weather was horribly awful.

It's been lovely sunny and hot, then this evening it goes dark and grey, then the heavens loving open with lightning cracking all over the place. Normally this isn't a big deal but there was so much drat rain anything resembling a puddle became a tidal wave, plus the humidity made short work of fogging up my glasses (short sighted) on a day where I was wearing a black visor, and to top it off my left mirror came loose in the morning so it was unusable.

Truthfully it was really loving dangerous of me to be out on the road, but I didn't have a choice as I was already out and had to get home in time as our childminder was dropping off my son.

Ah, autumn! I hope it takes you a while before you show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Don't panic.

• Locked thread