Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Crosspostin 'dis from the trackday thread, because more people deserve to see how I almost died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvHtChodNk0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

infraboy posted:

What the hell? Is that a 2008+ CBR 1000RR? Isn't the HESD supposed to prevent that from happening?

Yes, it's an 08 CBR1000. I've heard conflicting reports on the HESD, some of them apparently don't work at all. I haven't had time to go get it looked at yet but I'm guessing something is wrong with it...

However, you can hear some mechanical screeching sound in the video that kinda sounds like it could be the damper working. I don't know. If it *is* working it sure didn't do a very good job.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

schreibs posted:

I think this fits in here better than the track days thread....

Video of yesterday when I saved a high side mid corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4TFE81Ch5g&fmt=37

loving nice save. Just too greedy on the throttle or what? What kind of bike and tires are you running?

Edit - I have my own almost crash.

Saturday I was riding around on the three (non 90 degree intersection between fields) turns central iowa has to offer in a 150+ mile radius. On a road I am very familiar with I came into the first (blind) corner at a reasonable clip. Right as I turned in and the rest of the corner revealed itself I discovered I was on a perfect line. A perfect line right into the loving HUGE PILE OF GRAVEL THAT COVERED OVER 3/4 OF THE LANE :gonk:

I've never seen gravel in that spot in over 6 years. Definitely wasn't expecting it and of course I did exactly what I shouldn't do and rode straight through it. Target fixation is a bitch. Hindsight being 20/20 and all, there was a very thin strip on the very inside of the lane that was clear (I think. At least it was more clear than a shitload of gravel). Maybe 6-8" wide, including the white paint stripe on the side of the road. I could have tightened my line in time to get to that clear area, but I didn't :(. I'm disappointed in my reaction to this, but I have to say I was happy with how I handled an 80+mph two wheel drift... I stayed as loose as possible and just let the bike sort it out. I regained traction towards the DY and continued on my way, wondering what I was going to do with the huge load of poo poo now occupying my riding gear.

moral of the story -- DON'T RIDE LIKE A JACKASS ON PUBLIC ROADS.

needknees fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 16, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

BlackMK4 posted:

This is also why I stick to roads that are twisty enough that 40-50mph is a really quick pace and ~40mph is fun enough.

You suck for having roads that 40mph is fun enough :(

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

It's smaller rock than talus. Loose gravel, usually on a slope. Generalized to any kind of runoff debris.

I figured it was the sound Kommando's sphincter made whilst skidding uncontrollably towards a curb.

scrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

:v:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

nsaP posted:

Woah woah woah woah woah woah....now you're new here so it's okay, everybody gets one. Sympathy for deer is not allowed, available emotions that you can have for them include: anger, contempt, hatred, disapproval, animosity, disgust, or personally I go with seething rage. If you continue to feel anything but these for these "poor thing" road rats you can just :frogout:

I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement. Mainly because of this:

Deer can kindly :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Sounds like somebody needs a motard. Shame the only one that's fast, light and has semi-reasonable service intervals is rarer than a spotted unicorn horn here in the states.

He had one, and because he finds pleasure selling the best motorcycles on the planet he got rid of it for a bunch of ZX6e's. And shame. Don't forget the shame.

• Locked thread