Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

You're doing it all wrong, you made it through because you were doing 110 and that reduced the probability that you'd be occupying the same space and time as any of the pedestrians/cross traffic to near 0. Next time go 130 or 140 to be even safer.

So, when he's moving so fast that we can't accurately know both his position and momentum he'll be the safest, right? (Uncertainty principle still holds.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I didn't crash, but I nearly had someone crash into me.

My office is about a mile away from where I live so I typically ride my bicycle in, but I'll ride my 625 SMC in occasionally just to avoid any chance of my carb getting clogged from disuse.

On my way home I was about to turn into my apartment complex from the right lane of a 3-lane feeder, when I suddenly heard tires squeeling, checked my mirrors and saw a corolla closing in on me way too fast. I gunned the throttle and drove into the exit-only driveway from my complex to get out of the way. No injuries or damage, but I could smell burning rubber from locked brakes.

With that in mind, I don't think my brake light is adequate at all. The difference in brightness going from running lights to actuating the brake is next to nil. I'm wondering if I should look for some other aftermarket tail light, or if there's a brighter bulb I can put in the factory housing. The previous owner installed some sort of multi-LED bulb, but it just doesn't cut it.

I'd also like to purchase some retro-reflective tape to put on my helmet. Can any of you guys point me to something that would help with visibility? I liked the look of that black 3M tape I saw that shines back white, but I'm not sure if that's the best stuff to use. My helmet is a silver RF-1000.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I'm thinking red on my helmet, and I found some yellow patches/panels that could be neat to put on my tank plastics. This could be fun.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Shimrod posted:

Get any 3M Scotchlite (spelling?) Or 3M SOLAR tape and it'll shine up super bright when light hits it. I'm pretty sure you can get it in Red which should be visible on daylight.

Stuff is easy enough to find on Ebay or ask your local printery if they have any in stock you can have/buy.

I couldn't find any thing by the name of "SOLAR" tape. The only solar stuff I found from 3M was for solar cells.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Ah, I found it. It's called "SOLAS" (safety of life at sea).
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-88619-REFLECT-MMX50M/dp/B002IV6LO8

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Shelvocke posted:

I was doing 60 or so, so I straightened up, stamped on the back brake and slid in a massive fishtail towards it.

I'm confused by this part-- it sounds like you only used the rear brake? Were you already off the pavement, or was this just a split reaction sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Radbot posted:

Thanks guys. Makes me miss southern California where it seems every left is protected (and only protected)!

Really? My brief few weeks of driving in LA taught me that you had to ease into traffic and wait for the light to turn red before ever making a left turn. I didn't enjoy doing it in a car, and I would hate doing it on a biek.

MoraleHazard posted:

Is an unprotected left a left turn w/out an arrow? If so, they're almost a majority around here.

Yes that's what they mean.

• Locked thread