Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Today I had the StreetFighter kick out a good drift while doing 70 MPH on the highway. Rear tire slid out a good 2 feet and the front followed a good 9 or so inches before it caught again and I did a powerslide in the rain/slick. It wasn't scary at all because I ride supermoto and am completely used to this. So the lesson is: Ride supermoto people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A nice little incident this morning.

Leaving a friends place after not enough sleep, in a bit of a daze, stopped at a light, half checked out.

Light turns green and I notice a car in cross traffic not slowing for the red like he should be, so I watch and wait and sure enough he blows the light about 4 seconds after it turns green at full speed and almost takes out the car in the lane next to me.

I could have just as easily been watching only the light and gone, which would have, well probably been lights out, cross traffic speed limit is like 45 there.

The lesson is always practice safety so you can count on it without even thinking about it. I didn't actively THINK anything about what I was doing until the car went by and I realized I'd completely avoided my own death on instinct alone.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

UserNotFound posted:

Picked up the front wheel about 6 inches while turning right onto a highway from an intersection. Holy poo poo that was wild. I'll have to practice hard launches *in a straight line* without picking it up, I never want to do that while turning ever again. I'm really not used to the torque of this Monster 750.

This is literally the only way to complete a turn.

1. Turn in
2. Crack throttle
3. Wheelie/Powerslide out

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That's the sort of thing you'd do for fun on a supermoto

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It also sounds like you need to practice your emergency braking

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I can't remember the last time I used the rear brake for anything other than hooliganism.

When I'm practicing full panic stops I'll drill lightly grazing the rear brake, but all the work is front. The rear brake is basically only used to initiate slides and wheelie control, with the occasional intentional lockup slide into parking space.

It's also great for holding a bike on a steep hill.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

/\/\/\ Rear brake assists, and should be applied lightly and smoothly. It does provide additional stopping power, and in an emergency stop you want all you can get, which means knowing how to use your rear brake. This guy locked up the rear; practice so that you don't.

Whenever the shoulder allows I'll be in the left most lane on the left side of the lane, so that in a traffic situation like that I can dart up the left side of the car in front of me. If traffic comes to an abrupt stop like that I say gently caress the laws and I'll ease off into the shoulder coming to a stop next to the car that was in front of me if I have to, keeping an eye on the car behind me if I have time. If I don't have time and I need to stop so abruptly that I'm worried about hitting the car in front of me, I pretty much just assume I'm going to be rear ended and get out of the path of the car behind me regardless of if I think a crash is imminent. Like someone said, gently caress being unsheilded and waiting to get hit. If there is no shoulder, or there is a bridge, allow yourself more space, but the same strategy can be applied on the right side of the lane going into the middle, or even splitting between the guard rail and car if need be. I have had a car screech to a stop about a foot into where my bike would have been if I didn't already negate their poor driving by being two and a half feet over from where I would have laid bleeding.

Once you've had someone merge into you going 65 on the highway and literally push you at full speed over onto the shoulder; the shoulder doesn't seem like such an unfriendly place.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

We prefer to say we love animals, K Thanks.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Scrapez posted:

For us Americans, what is a spoon drain? Or maybe that is a universal term I'm not familiar with?

Regardless, that sucks man. Glad you didn't crash, though.

Spoon Drain GIS

Looks like it would be rough to hit that at speed...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Also, I feel terrible that I didn't think about the potential for delamination when you sent me that first picture.

If you don't type 10000 words about it, he might be killed! Quick, before the terrorists win!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'd guess you are thinking of Harbor Steps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A well setup bike will let you turn in harder given sufficient traction as getting on the front brake shortens the wheel base of the bike & loads the front end which can assist with grip before it all gets to be too much and you lose it all.

Do it all the time on the track, trail a little harder to turn in a bit sharper at apex.

On the street, in the rain, on 'just some bike', I'll brake when leaned over only if necessary to avoid a collision if I can otherwise avoid needing to, just to keep a nice safety bubble of available traction at all times.

• Locked thread