Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Radio-Controlled posted:

I was coming into a 90 degree right turn, and somehow instead of going down one gear I went down two and let the clutch out too fast. I also did that while making said right turn. The back wheel chirped and broke loose but got rolling again before it lowsided. Scared the poo poo out of me. It was awesome.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > The SuperMotard Thread: Because Real Men Back It In

efb. I need to stop leaving threads open :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Boat posted:

Also, don't move to China.

:psyduck:

Christ, this makes driving in Florida look like heaven.

That's a phrase you'll never see again.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
It slows the rotation of the rear tire, so it starts to come around the side, pointing the bike into a tighter line. I think.

It's the almost-backing-it-in technique.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Am I thinking of the same 4WD, vehicles that simply power all four wheels? Why would you ever need a separate license for that? They drive pretty much the same on the street.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Oh, in that case, most definitely. I'm getting tired of the schoolbus-sized YUKON XL EDITION X BLACK SERIES OMEGA driven by suburbanites that shouldn't be licensed to ride bicycles, let alone drive buildings.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Your chain may have been tensioned, but was your rear wheel aligned properly?

Pretty freaky sounding regardless, good to hear that it wasn't entirely catastrophic.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Arcane posted:

:stare: tires

Was the tire a size too tall or something?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Z3n posted:

AncientTV, no, it was the correct size for the bike, it just failed internally: The tread delaminated from the core of the tire.

With no provocation? That's terrifying.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I saw "something in the road" coming, but fuckin :lol: at a printer. Glad you stayed upright!

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Might be suspension related. This is entirely anecdotal, but my 250 wobbles like hell on the track because the stock setup is so soft.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

kenny powerzzz posted:

Is it really that bad though? Is this a situation that can cause a high side?

It largely depends on the situation, but clutching in will shift weight to the front, so if you're in a situation where the rear steps out and you let weight off it, it could very well regain traction, and, if it's out of line, quickly try and right itself. So yeah, possible highside.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Sounds like you need to learn the kickstand swivel maneuver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

nsaP posted:

The sun does not have no prisoners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1IIELT-79E

I'm always amazed at how long it takes him to realize that the big brown box has stopped moving.

Had a couple words with a lovely teenager last night after he almost pulled out in front of me from a stop, resulting in me having to weave around his car. I went something like this:
"Hey man, try and keep a better eye out next time. That's the most common way cars kill motorcyclists."
"gently caress you human being, you wanna go?"
I snapped my visor shut and rode off while listening to his alpha calls of "That's right, ride off bitch!"

I've taught myself to keep cool, but that doesn't seem to work any better than being mad at people :smith:

edit: Kind of old, but worth mentioning

Bow TIE Fighter posted:

Locked up the rear which squealed for (what felt like) minutes, didn't lock up the front, but probably could have braked harder. Forgot to downshift, so I need more practice, probably also could have shifted my weight back over the rear tire, which may have helped (?).

Generally when emergency braking, it's advised to just clutch in and focus all of your attention on the brakes. Unfortunately it's gone now, but I had a braking study PDF saved that basically stated, unless your brakes are crazy bad for some reason, that you don't gain any consequential stopping power from downshifting as long as you're using your brakes properly.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 28, 2013

• Locked thread