Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
The other day, I pulled onto a frontage road to fill up. I approached a fairly busy 3-way intersection, going straight. I don't know how fast (no speedo) but it was a moderate pace, probably 35-40 as I was keeping up with traffic, and the station was just on the other side of the intersection. There is a line of cars opposite me turning left, one truck turns in front of me fairly, then I see this lady in a white Kia behind him. I remember immediately thinking "This dumb person is really going to pull out in front of me" and of course she does. I stood on the brakes, braked harder than I even thought possible on this bike, then she sees me and (of course) stops in the middle of the intersection. I get right up to her, let off the brakes and do a real fast 1-2 swerve around her car, and continue on my merry way. I was close enough I think I could have reached out and slapped her. I really do wonder if that fraction of a second where I thought "she just might pull in front of me" was enough preparation to do the trick. Either way it feels good thinking all that risk assessment, braking & swerving practice just saved my skin. I hope I never have to do it again (except it happens six times a week doesn't it.)

Scrapez posted:

Rear tire locks up and the rear starts to slide out to the right a bit. I had the presence of mind to realize I had locked it and think "I need to let off a bit to straighten it out."

Ghostpilots posted:

I lock the rear immediately[...]. Release rear brake, reapply then grab a handful of front.

OK I gotta ask about this - when I took the MSF some 5 years ago they told me to never ever release the rear if it locks because it could easily send you into a high-side. Is that true? I've only locked my rear brake a handful of times in emergencies, but countless times on purpose. So I'm certainly no expert. But it seems like it would only throw you if the back end really got away from you. Whenever I've done it on purpose it's been a non-issue, but that's probably because I was maintaining control the whole time. So now I'm not so sure.

Synonamess Botch fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

modify_evolution posted:

Trash bag

Nice job on keeping your cool. Relatedly, how do you like the v-strom?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

KARMA! posted:

Rear brake used:

-Wheelies.

• Locked thread