Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The one person like this I've ever run into died in a car accident.

He was doing fine until you came along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cojawfee posted:

Now imagine you have a brother in law who just doesn't want to wear a seat belt.

They make latches without a belt that plug into the socket to make it shut up. Supposedly for cops who don't want to wear a seatbelt for either fitment issues over gear, or the need to exit the car quickly (which they will also do in the case of an accident, unwillingly...)

evobatman posted:

Turning the car off twice, a perfectly normal thing. I restarted it ONCE and decided this wasn't for me.

It's only getting worse.

https://www.carthrottle.com/news/ignition-modern-bmw-doesnt-turn-until-you-lock-it-and-i-dont-get-why

I have cars that won't let you have the keys until you turn them off all the way. I'm OK with that.
except for the AE86, on which the key - singular- is so worn it almost falls out regardless of key position. It took me a week to figure out why the radio was staying on. It's because it's a manual, and you have to do the extra thing to actually get the key to "off", and I was just going to accessory and removing the key.)

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
my xj key comes right out when it's running I like it

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MrLogan posted:

There are even people who still smoke cigs in TYOOL 2024
Not my personal story, but from a guy I know who said he had a relative that had an appointment with a financial advisor his bank set him up with.

As he pulled up, noticed a guy outside the office smoking. Approached the door and smoking guy said "Oh, you must be Mr. Guywithappointment! I'm Joe, the advisor."

Chatted for a minute and basically said something like "if you make such bad decisions for yourself that you still smoke in this day in age, I cannot trust you to make good decisions with my life savings." and left.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Darchangel posted:

Supposedly for cops who don't want to wear a seatbelt for either fitment issues over gear, or the need to exit the car quickly (which they will also do in the case of an accident, unwillingly...)

Have some respect, that cop will have given his life so they can tack a murder charge on to the suspect of the high speed chase they instigated.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

They make latches without a belt that plug into the socket to make it shut up. Supposedly for cops who don't want to wear a seatbelt for either fitment issues over gear, or the need to exit the car quickly (which they will also do in the case of an accident, unwillingly...)
As ever, rules for thee, not for me...

I do the "we're not going anywhere until you put it on" thing in my car.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

slidebite posted:

Not my personal story, but from a guy I know who said he had a relative that had an appointment with a financial advisor his bank set him up with.

As he pulled up, noticed a guy outside the office smoking. Approached the door and smoking guy said "Oh, you must be Mr. Guywithappointment! I'm Joe, the advisor."

Chatted for a minute and basically said something like "if you make such bad decisions for yourself that you still smoke in this day in age, I cannot trust you to make good decisions with my life savings." and left.

And they all clapped and went to yell at kids at Starbucks about how they can't afford a house because of their coffee purchases.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 18, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

tater_salad posted:

And they all clapped and went to yell at kids at Starbucks about how they can't afford a house because of their coffee purchases.

Then posted on facebook that millennials are destroying starbucks by making coffee at home to afford their mortgages instead of spending money at starbucks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Maybe he did?

I don't know. Sounds assholish, especially since it obviously has nothing to do with someones slave to drug addiction, but I also get where its coming from... assuming it even happened.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
some dudes aren't chill bro

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Last thing I'm going to trust is airbags/circuits/logic/sensors on a vehicle. The entire industry is a clusterfuck.

Seatbelts are the go to.

What does this mean?

You wouldn't wear a seat belt if airbags were more reliable?

You rip them out of every car you buy???

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

A touch late to the interlock chat but how about this: Not allowing wipers (auto or otherwise) to turn on while the drivers door is open when starting the car. Everyone who's ever lived in a snowy area knows the feeling of jumping in the car, door still open, to start it up and get defrosters going, only to have the snow on the windshield trigger the auto wipers and push a huge pile of snow over the a-pillar and into the car. Or say, you left the wipers on when you parked in the non-auto wiper example. CMON!!!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

spray foam has taken over from the previous worst product for fixes, which was just household silicone.

we are long past the days of baling wire and duct tape

Actually household silicone works pretty well as a valve cover gasket, ask me how I know

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

amenenema posted:

A touch late to the interlock chat but how about this: Not allowing wipers (auto or otherwise) to turn on while the drivers door is open when starting the car. Everyone who's ever lived in a snowy area knows the feeling of jumping in the car, door still open, to start it up and get defrosters going, only to have the snow on the windshield trigger the auto wipers and push a huge pile of snow over the a-pillar and into the car. Or say, you left the wipers on when you parked in the non-auto wiper example. CMON!!!

auto wipers in drive or reverse only would fix that, good idea

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Hondas (at least my 2017 accord and 2016 odyssey) have an interesting feature where if the wipers are set to intermittent, they will always initiate at least one full sweep when you come off the brake from a stop. The rear wiper will turn on continuously if the front wipers are on at any speed / frequency and you shift into reverse.

Handy, but was confusing the first few times it happened.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Oh one other auto wipers necessity - add a moisture sensor somewhere on the front of the car, not just the optical sensor on the glass. Drive for 50 miles in gnats or something and one big one triggers the wipers and smears them all over the glass. As pinpoints they're nearly invisible, but one swipe of the wipers converts them to a lens covered in Vaseline.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Spirit AeroSystems strikes again!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is this why they laid a bunch of people off by just Disabling badges at midnight? Night shift guys really got a shock trying to come back in from a 2am smoke break.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
When I activate the windshield cleaner spray on my Toyota it will spray fluid on the window, run the wipers through three cycles, wait 5 seconds for the windshield to dry, then run the wipers an extra cycle. Annoying as hell if I'm not trying to use the spray in rainy weather.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

When I activate the windshield cleaner spray on my Toyota it will spray fluid on the window, run the wipers through three cycles, wait 5 seconds for the windshield to dry, then run the wipers an extra cycle. Annoying as hell if I'm not trying to use the spray in rainy weather.

It's called a courtesy wipe.
Some manufacturers let you turn that off through the cluster or whatever.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I hate the courtesy wipe. It re-smears the windscreen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If it needs another pass, I can bump the stalk to the momentary “mist” position.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

I have no idea what vehicle this applies to or how old it is…

Can I drive my Pinto or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

namlosh posted:

I have no idea what vehicle this applies to or how old it is…

Can I drive my Pinto or not?

It’s the CYBERTRVCK.