Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Fifty Three posted:

Ftfy

Fondly remembering the goon who proudly posted here about intentionally using their highbeams at all times

At least I'm not the only one who thinks this way. The official position of the Finnish Automotive Club is that on a freeway that is going straight or curving to the left there is no need to turn off high beams since the oncoming traffic is so far away to the side. Only on right curves is it necessary to switch to low beams. Another angle to think about this is what is the highest speed you can drive with low beams only and do you slow down below that speed everytime there is oncoming traffic?

I'm not sure how much the US high beam pattern differs from EU lights, but I would assume not significantly.

It's easy to test how big issue the high beams are. When you are driving on a dark freeway with low traffic just keep your high beams on and look at the lights of oncoming traffic and when they flash their high beams you can judge yourself how blinding they are. I've had semitrucks turn on their roof high beams numerous times and those are a non-issue. At freeway distances the semis are less blinding than car low beams at two lane roads.

chrisgt posted:

I don't know if it's the auto high beams or that people are just assholes, but when I'm in my truck I feel like people haul up on me with high beams on all the time at night. Fortunately my truck has the brightest loving LED reverse lights on a switch, that usually gets their attention and turn the high beams off.
It also has four hella 5000s up front, so come at me with your stupid high beams

Those don't sound like auto high beams. I've read a lot of car magazine reviews that addresses them and pretty much a standard complaint is that the high beams turn off too early when approaching a car from behind.

Another thing the reviews address is the speeds where the auto high beams operate. If they turn on around 30km/h they compliment, 40km/h they consider so and so, 60km/h earns a demerit and complaint.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There are soooo many deer around that I use high beams whenever possible. I generally like the auto high beams on my Golf R though they can get fooled by hills and turns that make them react a little slower than I would like or make the other person feel like I'm flashing them.

That said, so many new cars have them now that I feel people are getting more understanding about the quirks.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Saukkis posted:

I'm not sure how much the US high beam pattern differs from EU lights, but I would assume not significantly.

I can guarantee you that any country with mandatory vehicle inspections is going to have their headlight angles set better than the average US vehicle.

Most US cars are fine but when you’re driving all night and one car out of every hundred has one headlight 15 degrees off and pointing directly into incoming traffic it wears on you.

We’re also in a rough period now where a bunch of cars have bright strip-LEDs retrofitted into housings shaped for incandescent point lighting, I look forward to a few years from now when the vast majority of cars have factory-adjusted headlights again.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
people that wire up bright reverse lights to flash people are not smart or good and should have their licenses revoked and their vehicles crushed hth

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

people that wire up bright reverse lights to flash people are not smart or good and should have their licenses revoked and their vehicles crushed hth

There was a guy on a forum who wanted help wiring his reverse lights to always be on because he thought it looked cool. He also attacked anyone who tried to tell him he was an idiot.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

People who ride my rear end with high beams shining in my california mirrors blinding me are not smart and should be crushed in their car.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

chrisgt posted:

People who ride my rear end with high beams shining in my california mirrors blinding me are not smart and should be crushed in their car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0
:shrug:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That's funny but aren't you generally legally required to have mirrors (in some form, and varies by state, I'm sure)?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it's usually two mirrors.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'd bet it's either or in a lot of states. Some old cars used to sometimes come with only one wing mirror from the factory, and enclosed cargo vehicles tend not to have rear view mirrors since it's hard to see through a wall

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My ‘89 civic dx hatch came from the factory with only the driver’s side wing mirror and the center rear view.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sagebrush posted:

It is to help some stupid people.

Can they perhaps help the stupid people who think DRLs + always-on dash lighting means their lights are on when they aren't? Why in the gently caress does any car with always-on light up gauges not have automatic headlights?
I suspect that most of them do, and the idiot driver managed to turn them to manual off.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015
Haven't seen this posted yet,

Jason Cammisa going off at length on the topic of car lighting,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkwjMV2of_8

Loved that picture showing a super bright headlight pattern with two small dim areas at exactly the locations that the pattern gets measured for compliance.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ulf posted:

Not a lot of deer to worry about along the Boston-Atlanta Metropolitan Axis.

lmfao I've lived in it my entire life and this is an extremely apocryphal statement.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also more like Boston-DC axis, between Richmond and Atlanta is a whole lot of nothing except deer

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Also more like Boston-DC axis, between Richmond and Atlanta is a whole lot of nothing except deer

BAMA has some literary pedigree at least.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Krakkles posted:

That's funny but aren't you generally legally required to have mirrors (in some form, and varies by state, I'm sure)?

in california at least, you're required to have the driver's side mirror, plus one other mirror of your choice. if you had to have a rearview, then a delivery van with no rear windows would fail.

my truck and my bike are the only ones that have passenger side mirrors, and the truck's are towing mirrors that were added later. i think only the bike had one stock.

Saukkis posted:

At least I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

lol, im pretty sure you are the one he was talking about, my dude

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I hate that it became legal to drive with headlights/DRLs and rear lights off here in Europe. Lights are not just for visibility, they're also to let the surrounding know that the vehicle is active.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Collateral Damage posted:

I hate that it became legal to drive with headlights/DRLs and rear lights off here in Europe. Lights are not just for visibility, they're also to let the surrounding know that the vehicle is active.

That's news to me, you are supposed to have DRL/position on during day. Rear position off for energy saving is bullshit and i would love to turn whoever decided to make it binding into mist.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

SlowBloke posted:

Rear position off for energy saving

Those energy efficient LED's pull almost 3% of 1 horsepower in alternator draw, and that extra gallon of gas used per ~10k miles is really going to add up if the car runs continuously for a century or so :ignorance:

Lights are not just for visibility, they're also to let the surrounding know that the vehicle is active.

Whoever at GM decided that reverse lights should stay on for a minute after the car is turned off should be taken out back behind the shed. I understand that the extra illumination is nice if you're somewhere with bad lighting, but that should be an optional setting or just an extra set of lights that don't indicate a car is going to move backwards

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

We were excavating behind the roundhouse of a local rail yard and found a flintstones piston that's gone through hell. Almost looks like a fossil.

It's clearly a piston, but why would it be made of a mineral/ceramic substance like this?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

We were excavating behind the roundhouse of a local rail yard and found a flintstones piston that's gone through hell. Almost looks like a fossil.

It's clearly a piston, but why would it be made of a mineral/ceramic substance like this?

Is that aluminium that has corroded back into aluminium oxide?

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

meltie posted:

Is that aluminium that has corroded back into aluminium oxide?

We hit it with an xrf analyzer and it's 0.6% nickel, 0.6% copper and 0.4% iron but only trace elements of other metals. Silicon carbide might be one option.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

WAT.
:psyduck:

The Door Frame posted:

Those energy efficient LED's pull almost 3% of 1 horsepower in alternator draw, and that extra gallon of gas used per ~10k miles is really going to add up if the car runs continuously for a century or so :ignorance:

Whoever at GM decided that reverse lights should stay on for a minute after the car is turned off should be taken out back behind the shed. I understand that the extra illumination is nice if you're somewhere with bad lighting, but that should be an optional setting or just an extra set of lights that don't indicate a car is going to move backwards

They also go on when the car is unlocked remotely - leaving you sitting there waiting for someone to back out who isn't even in the car yet. gently caress that bullshit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

They didn't have any iron, because of the war.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Krakkles posted:

yea and since 90% of the time i drive my truck there's a trailer on the back, mirrors are kinda important.
Don't worry, my trailer also has obnoxiously bright reverse lights on it so I can park at night.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

This also has the "fun" side effect that clueless drivers will just leave their headlights in the off position on DRLs even during inclement weather because it's not dark enough that they need headlights and the instrument cluster and center console are illuminated anyway. But their taillights are not on, and in bad enough weather (powdery snow on the roads for example) they will become completely invisible to people driving behind them. In the exact conditions in which you might need to suddenly come to a complete halt due to limited visibility and increased potential for accidents or pileups or whatever to catch you off-guard.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

While we're at it, everyone should have to spend a night in front of their own vehicle in a Clockwork Orange chair

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ruflux posted:

This also has the "fun" side effect that clueless drivers will just leave their headlights in the off position on DRLs even during inclement weather because it's not dark enough that they need headlights and the instrument cluster and center console are illuminated anyway. But their taillights are not on, and in bad enough weather (powdery snow on the roads for example) they will become completely invisible to people driving behind them. In the exact conditions in which you might need to suddenly come to a complete halt due to limited visibility and increased potential for accidents or pileups or whatever to catch you off-guard.

Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I was complaining about in another thread. Pretty regularly get folks after dark here in Texas with only DRLs on. Hondas at least half the time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'll also say again, that's a design issue and not a driver issue.

Any system that has automatic headlights (and thus conditions the driver to not actually turn the headlight switch on) should have plain as day warnings on the dash when it detects the system is switched off but it is dim enough to need lights since that switch could have been moved to the off position by any myriad of reasons, a few of which many not be immediately apparent to the driver.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

I suspect that most of them do, and the idiot driver managed to turn them to manual off.
My car does not have DRLs but I've still had plenty of "why aren't my headlights on? why the gently caress is this knob in off!?!?!" after taking my car in to a shop for something. They tend to switch the lights hard off so they're not staying auto on in the bay, then never switch them back to auto. I wish the "Off" position were a momentary selection, there are situations where I want to turn my lights off but they are not the norm.

I forget where I read it but IIRC some country, I think Canada, recently changed some regulations to require exactly that which is expected to result in a lot of vehicles going that way even in other markets just because it's simpler to make one configuration. Thank gently caress.

edit: Yep, Canada

https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/safety-standards-vehicles-tires-child-car-seats/using-your-vehicle-lights-see-be-seen

Vehicles with always-lit dashboards are required since late 2021 to either have the tail lights on with the DRLs or have automatic lights. The classic option of keeping the dash lights off remains available at least for analog gauges, it's not clear whether LCD gauges could qualify with different theming based on light levels and headlight status or would be considered always lit.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 12, 2024

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Thank gently caress. It really only became a problem when LED DRLs became bright enough to be mistaken for (bad) headlights, I think.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

wolrah posted:

My car does not have DRLs but I've still had plenty of "why aren't my headlights on? why the gently caress is this knob in off!?!?!" after taking my car in to a shop for something. They tend to switch the lights hard off so they're not staying auto on in the bay, then never switch them back to auto. I wish the "Off" position were a momentary selection, there are situations where I want to turn my lights off but they are not the norm.
This is one thing that I think GM got right. You can switch them off if you want, but it resets to automatic when you turn the car off.

The Door Frame posted:

I'm pretty sure you can turn this off in settings, but I'll admit that I haven't.

Also because I wasn't 100% sure that you could, I googled it, and I made the mistake of reading the comments. They're duuuumb. "WHY DON'T YOU WORRY ABOUT WHAT YOUR CAR IS DOING???" :lol:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Raluek posted:

lol, im pretty sure you are the one he was talking about, my dude

I know. I meant me and the chief instructor of the Automobile Club.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

We hit it with an xrf analyzer and it's 0.6% nickel, 0.6% copper and 0.4% iron but only trace elements of other metals. Silicon carbide might be one option.

Most pistons are aluminum so it'd be shocking to be that specialized.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

You should be able to take some measurements (diameter, wrist pin size, skirt size, ring count, etc.) and search catalogs for the application given its good condition.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

wolrah posted:

It took a long time but I finally figured out why the gently caress people were driving around with their lights off. Dawned on me during the annual car inspection where I left with my headlight switch in the "off" position. Seems that when they run through their tests they end with them off and people just drive out from inspection that way and don't think about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yup, it happened to my dad when we were on vacation last year. My parents don't drive at night much as it is and it was a new car that went to the dealer a few weeks prior for some delivery related thing.

We went on vacation and it had been like a month since he had taken that car out at night (they usually take the other car if they are out at all). Driving around the beach town after dusk "It's super dim around here." Took me a minute or two to dawn on me "uhhh, I think the automatic headlights are off."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I blame that on gauge clusters that are pretty much just big screens now. My car has physical gauges and they only light up when my headlights are on. If I can't see my speedometer, that means my headlights aren't on. If I look at a fully bright tablet display and the car has LED running lights, I could easily see someone not realizing their headlights aren't on.

Unless the power for the sensor for the headlights is physically switched off by setting the headlights to off, the car should know that it is dark and the headlights are off. When it detects that, it should put a "headlights off" symbol on the dash.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Most pistons are aluminum so it'd be shocking to be that specialized.

also (most) XRF guns can't detect aluminum so it makes sense that it wouldn't show up