Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

The crank for the Tigers motor was literlly bolted together. Maybach was loving nuts.

"This petrol engine needs to behave a diesel. What do we do?"
"Replace it with a diesel...?"
"NEIN! Ditch that lovely 'carburettor' setup and stick on this centrifugal gyroscopically stabilised governor instead!"

loving germany. They lost many things in that war, but doing things the extra-complicated way wasn't one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

cursedshitbox posted:

I flat refuse to pull any rover dash older than 2000. exception is hard plastic dashed classics.

when I replaced the dash structure in my p38 prior to the accident, I removed all the support bolts and the thing literally caved in on itself. 96' fwiw.

When my Classic needed a new heater core I had my buddy's shop do it. Traded some old parts I had laying around in the form of a complete '66 Series IIA. The frame, motor, and anything else steel was shot so it was basically just the aluminum body panels. I think I did well on that deal.

When the core went it was apparently a sight to behold. A friend of mine was borrowing it and flying down the road at 70MPH with another friend of mine in trail. The core went and instantly filled the entire cabin with white hot steam. My buddy in the rear vehicle said the whole truck wobbled when the my friend driving went blind then it started looking like a Cheech and Chong flick driving down the road when he got the windows rolling down.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

"NEIN! Ditch that lovely 'carburettor' setup and stick on this centrifugal gyroscopically stabilised governor instead!"

loving germany. They lost many things in that war, but doing things the extra-complicated way wasn't one of them.

Getting diesels into the Tiger/Panther/King Tiger would've made them ten times better and more reliable.

Yeah, I don't know what Maybach was thinking, They DID have diesel motors, because they briefly used them in the Elefant for prototyping.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Slavvy posted:

They also numbered loving everything, which we gladly used against them via applied statistics.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
"I just bought this car how much to put it all back to stock also your manager said he'd hook it up with a fat discount cause i'm broke so what can you do for me'

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Is that a spring or a dry ramen noodle?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's definitely a red vine, not ramen.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I don't even.

Why. Why would someone do that. :psyduck:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Apparently someone over in reddit land got a raptor in that ran a tad bit lean..

http://imgur.com/a/RWPSY

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Farking Bastage posted:

Apparently someone over in reddit land got a raptor in that ran a tad bit lean..

http://imgur.com/a/RWPSY

Of COURSE it's a loving Hennessy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Of COURSE it's a loving Hennessy.

That was my first thought as well. So it's basically one of several quite expected outcomes (none of them good).

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I've heard some rumblings over durability on those 6.2's, strapping a blower on one and a tune probably intended for an industrial generator is probably a damned good way to see daylight through the block.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Mining truck money shift

http://bangshift.com/blog/incredibl...campaign=Buffer

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

:catstare:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That flywheel :psyduck:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

WELP, that one isn't going to get manufactured.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It's funny, just yesterday I learned that the Cat 793 is the only ultra-class dump truck that still uses a fully mechanical drivetrain, as opposed to the Diesel/Electric drives everyone else uses. It seems to have some downsides. :stonklol:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What would the advantage of doing that even be? I don't see any.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The advantage was Cat didn't have to develop an electric truck 15 years ago or whenever everyone else jumped on the electric bandwagon. It was a bad move that they* have yet to fully recover from.

*Their ultra class mining truck business. It didn't hurt the company overall much.

e: they still have a large market share in that area anyway but I bet it would be a lot bigger if they hadn't drug their feet in going electric.

Galler fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 5, 2013

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

That had to be a runaway. The transmission controller has a downshift inhibitor that prevents explosive disassembly of the the engine due to downshifting too early.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just put a little sawdust in the crank case and sell it.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
What do you do with all of that, just toss it or re-melt it down or just give it a hippie to paint out in Nevada?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Galler posted:

The advantage was Cat didn't have to develop an electric truck 15 years ago or whenever everyone else jumped on the electric bandwagon. It was a bad move that they* have yet to fully recover from.

*Their ultra class mining truck business. It didn't hurt the company overall much.

e: they still have a large market share in that area anyway but I bet it would be a lot bigger if they hadn't drug their feet in going electric.

I don't wish to alarm you, but caterpillar isn't a very forward thinking company.

They're EPA 2008 highway diesels were so terrible they pawned the design off on international hoping they would sort it out. They then designed a highway truck using the engine without the thought that international might not be able to make it work despite the fact that international is TERRIBLE.

Now they're putting cummins emissions systems onto a navistar engine into their caterpillar truck.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Powershift posted:

I don't wish to alarm you, but caterpillar isn't a very forward thinking company.

They're EPA 2008 highway diesels were so terrible they pawned the design off on international hoping they would sort it out. They then designed a highway truck using the engine without the thought that international might not be able to make it work despite the fact that international is TERRIBLE.

Now they're putting cummins emissions systems onto a navistar engine into their caterpillar truck.

This whole website belongs here;
http://www.internationaltrucks.com/trucks/engines/finder/

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

cursedshitbox posted:

To continue on with heater core hell

This was one I did in a discovery II early last year.
FSM says pull the dash. I say dislocate some body parts and pop in behind it. cuts 2 good hours off the time.

Just dodged doing one on a ram 1500. Owner couldn't afford it, so happy.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Powershift posted:

As someone who doesn't know, why is international terrible?

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

Loads and loads of quality control issues leading to on road breakdowns and warranty repairs. Truck drivers don't make any money when the truck isn't running so naturally we get a bit peeved when we find out that some yahoo in the factory took it upon himself to grind off the cooling fins on the oilpan and create a huuge weakness. Hell even without that fuckup the oilpans shake loose constantly. Even if you welded the fucker on it would still find a way.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I think this fits here the best.
A friend rolled her car yesterday and posted pics. Thankfully she walked away with just minor scratches.
I give you the invincible antenna.

Mechanical Survival?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

They make terrible, unreliable engines, and refuse to stand behind them.

For starters, they are responsible for the 6.0 powerstroke, which is likely the least reliable diesel engine built in the last 10 years. The list of fatal weaknesses present in a single engine is astounding.

In the heavy duty truck market, they tried a 3 stage EGR system to meet 2010 NOx emissions as opposed to using SCR, but the system was so complex that if it ever has to be taken apart, it's nearly impossible to get it sealed again. As an additional kick in the nuts, their system sucks and doesn't work, so they ended up adding SCR on top of it.

They're like the British leyland of modern diesel engines.

Guy Random
Oct 22, 2010

Powershift posted:

For starters, they are responsible for the 6.0 powerstroke, which is likely the least reliable diesel engine built in the last 10 years. The list of fatal weaknesses present in a single engine is astounding.

In the heavy duty truck market, they tried a 3 stage EGR system to meet 2010 NOx emissions as opposed to using SCR, but the system was so complex that if it ever has to be taken apart, it's nearly impossible to get it sealed again. As an additional kick in the nuts, their system sucks and doesn't work, so they ended up adding SCR on top of it.

I work in the trades and have done work at International/Case in the midwest. They absolutely reek of a mismanaged company. Only place I've ever worked where you could tell immediately that 80% of the production floor work force was middle management, safety, regular management, more middle management and made up things like "floor" engineer. Every job there should have been smooth, easy, quick and has always been harder and taken far longer than needed.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
As someone who loved the poo poo out of his first car, an '84 240DL, but had to replace the heater core and now has to replace the core on an unloved POS '89 F350...

gently caress Volvo, Long Live Ford.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
From GIP

Vasudus posted:

I posted this before but I don't care.

gently caress being mechanized sometimes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I look at that and all I can imagine is the army driver equivalent of that old saw:

"I heard a noise but it didn't seem that loud so I just kept driving. Will it cost a lot to fix?"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
<seinfeld> Why can't they make the car out of the antenna?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DiggityDoink posted:

As someone who loved the poo poo out of his first car, an '84 240DL, but had to replace the heater core and now has to replace the core on an unloved POS '89 F350...

gently caress Volvo, Long Live Ford.

Volvo and Ford were the same company until a couple of years ago.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
Not when the 240 was built, that merger happened in 1999.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I know, just loving with him :v:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

In International's defense, they did produce the DT466 and T444E/7.3L Powerstroke, two extremely reliable diesels. AEGR is a horrible mechanical failure, but I admire them for at least trying to avoid DEF. The 6.Ohno is a motor everybody wants to forget, personally I think inter ational secretly wanted out of Ford, making diesels for pickups seems too competitive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colonel Sanders posted:

In International's defense, they did produce the DT466 and T444E/7.3L Powerstroke, two extremely reliable diesels. AEGR is a horrible mechanical failure, but I admire them for at least trying to avoid DEF. The 6.Ohno is a motor everybody wants to forget, personally I think inter ational secretly wanted out of Ford, making diesels for pickups seems too competitive.

Yeah, they really demonstrated how badly they wanted out of ford when they Sued ford for trying to make their own diesel engines....twice.

They wanted ford to continue paying them money, but didn't want to have to spend that money on warranty claims or engineering costs to fix their gently caress-ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

cursedshitbox posted:

To continue on with heater core hell

This was one I did in a discovery II early last year.
FSM says pull the dash. I say dislocate some body parts and pop in behind it. cuts 2 good hours off the time.
Based on my experiences with Discoveries, that's the interior in it's normal position. Nothing's nailed down properly in there.