Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Surprised I haven't seen this yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAKbkU9l-xE

Piston failure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQAGWo3PbZk&feature=related

Armature locked on the traction motor

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TheShedDweller posted:

At least that is how it was explained to me, let me know if I got any of that wrong.

Nah you got it bout right

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

grnberet2b posted:

When we start getting a lot of rain in our area, the news stations start running stories about idiots that drove in to water, typically accented by the drivers of the Fire department's ladder trucks saying that they don't even think about crossing if the water is more than a foot deep, and more than 6 inches is something they hesitate on. It never fails that some moron disregards these stories and gets their saga added to the news broadcast that night...

tldr: It doesn't matter what the hell you show on TV, there's enough morons that try it anyway. If only we could just let natural selection run it's course....

Some people fail to understand that your car cannot breathe water

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I bet the guy in that car is just going 'Great now I need a new engine...' *FLAMES ERRUPT* 'GREAT now I need a new car!' :supaburn:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Skyssx posted:

My favorite at the bottom end was always nicks on lock wire. "You see that bit there where you scratched the wire pulling it through the fastener? Yep, do it again."

I hate safety wire....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Hey so just crossposting this, tried to start my parts car up. Taking all bets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYhtmJWe7E

Its like hearing the car screaming 'kill me....'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Captain Crunk posted:

Cross-posting from the Saab thread as I don't know if people go in there often.

My turbo after 125K miles:

Click here for the full 1500x1125 image.

Had ~1/2" shaft play as well. Good carnage no doubt.

Mmmm, metal bits NOM NOM

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

Same here. I worked for like two years in an aircraft refurbish shop right out of high school, and landing gear is the bane of my existence.

In a close second is the scar-inflicting pitot tube.

We have to safety wire in the VHF radios, antenna lines, etc.

A lot of the things we safety wire would never come loose even with excessive vibration, but the TO says to do it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Click here for the full 1200x632 image.

Click here for the full 1200x393 image.

Click here for the full 1200x610 image.

The awesome crack on my engine block....Big hole on the left is oil return, center hole is headbolt hole, left hole is coolant jacket....

ARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 9, 2010

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpotato posted:

Oil in the head bolt hole when you torqued down the bolt?

No, that is from the coolant and oil flowing into the bolt hole when the engine was running. That was before the crack fully developed and caused hell on earth. What pissed me off was the fact that when I was putting the headgasket on, it WASN'T there, and I had tapped all the bolt holes to clean them out, they were clean and dry

Oh well, got a new block. Going to take the old block to the machine shop and we are going to take a crack at welding it

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 9, 2010

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrZig posted:

So the rear differential on my '89 Cherokee decided it didn't want to make it to 400,000 KM. Only 3,000 more to go :( Was just outside of town and doing about 100 KPH when I heard a loud KABANG! and thump thump thump thump as the jeep slowed to a hault. gently caress. Got it back home the next day and found a surprise in my diff.

The pinion gear is mostly gone, shredded into bits. Took out some of the ring gear, and part of the housing. It still had plenty of oil in it, I guess it was just over stressed from 397,000KM of abuse. Goodbye, Dana 35, you served me well. :patriot:

I had this happen to me....same axle as well. Didn't lock up, so I dragged myself home in 4x4 mode using the front axle, cringing as I heard the metal shards in the back scraping and popping and clanging.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

azflyboy posted:

The 33 B-1's that got mothballed (representing 1/3 of the entire production run) were actually retired as a cost cutting measure, since programs like the F-22 and F-35 were running massively over budget and grounding some of the B-1 fleet freed up enough money to keep operating the remaining aircraft.

Currently, the B-1 is slated for retirement somewhere around 2038 (although the Pentagon is discussing retiring the whole B-1 fleet sooner to save money), which means the B-1 will likely cease flying earlier than the B-52 (scheduled to be serving until at least 2040) it was supposed to replace.

I have a high doubt as to this actually happening, the dates for retirements have CONSTANTLY been pushed back for almost every current serving Air Force craft.

dietcokefiend posted:

:monocle:

I don't know whats cooler, the fact that the plane landed without exploding without its wheels down, or the fact that landing without its wheels only cost ~8 million in repairs.

That amount seems like a lot, but its just over 2% of the value of the plane. Hell if I ran over a curb with my VW Rabbit I would probably get a higher percentage of damage to my suspension. They landed a loving plane with the wheels up and it cost as much as buying a new set of tires on a car.

...and don't forget, almost everythings cost in the Air Force is inflated, so in actuallity had this been a civilian plane it would have been maybe a quarter of that!

Trust me, Avionics guy for C-130s

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

Looks like one of the bearings is still ok, just slap it back together and smear some JB weld over the holes, it'll be fine.

I've also got one of those engines sitting in my garage :3:

You figure if it was down on power you would be concerned and wouldn't want to push it.

I feel like this could have been prevented

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The damage to my motor isn't nearly as bad as the catastrophic wreck my heart became when I saw this. However I couldn't post a picture of that so here's some mild carnage.

Tappet adjuster nut is on the loose somewhere in my engine.

top one is not damaged.
the one on the right is fine.
the one on the right is for comparison.

What engine is that?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Oh, you Americans. :allears:

Yeah, it's going to be a bike engine, but over here it's not that long since you really could buy a proper, five (small) seat hatchback with a 750cc engine. Both my aunt and one of the guys I was in sixth form with had a Fiat Panda 750, and that wasn't the least powerful one they built.

Hell, the 126, in a mighty, upgraded, 700cc form, only stopped rolling out the Polish factory in 2000.

I would buy that, and I'm American.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Black88GTA posted:

Thread over. This clearly wins.

I can't even begin to fathom the force required to bend steel as thick as a grown man's torso like that.

Did someone hydrolock a MAN diesel?

Ola posted:

So much interesting stuff! But this one:

http://www.marinediesels.info/Horror%20Stories/Scavenge_fatality.htm

Was pretty grim. Trapped inside the ... manifold? Expansion chamber? I'm not good with two stroke marine diesels.

Oh god, that is horrid I would NEVER go into a component of the engine without someone nearby who knows I was doing maintenance

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 18, 2010

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

that is seriously disturbing.

but i can't help wanting to know...scavenge air receiver? does that mean the 2-stroke transfer ports?

The ports pretty much on the bottom of the cylinder, likely died due to the air being sucked out of him

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CaptBubba posted:

From the link posted earlier it looked like the piston jammed in the sleeve somehow, causing a portal to Hell to open and allowing the demon hands of Beelzebub to reach through and do that to the lower connecting rod.

I find those factory photographs really entrancing but it took me a bit to realize why. Yes there are giant engine parts everywhere giving a strange mixed sense of scale, but I was really just struck at the lack of visible safety equipment. I'm so used to seeing shielding and brightly colored easily accessible kill switches on machinery and people wearing ear and eye protection that the images just hit me as very odd.

That is awesome.

Its like the engine shop of the gods

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MikeyTsi posted:

I wouldn't recommend spending $3K on a turbo anyway. Is it made out of unobtainium or something?

Its like made of titanium or something

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sybok posted:

Reason my civic wants to have smoke breaks.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Ouch, goodbye bearings

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If that video is any indicator though, the Dutch are a little behind us in tractor awesomeness. I mean, a single i6 engine? Ours have like multiple v8s on every tractor. Get your poo poo together, Europe.

Looks actually like a V-12, you can faintly see the other exhaust manifold on the other side.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

teh jhey posted:

The oil pouring out the bottom reminds me of slaughterhouse videos.

The hilariously sad part is that you can tell its failed and they just kept running it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Plinkey posted:

That video lead me to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wAUwF48VqY&feature=fvwrel

I'm sorry, he kind of deserved that, and the music just adds to the hilarity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFENUTtCpaQ&feature=related

And if your truck isn't moving while pulling the sled, chances are you should stop

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 18, 2011

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr.Peabody posted:

Which lead me to this even more hilarious burn-out video... but has left me wondering if this is now the YouTube video thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeYsIFmYT6o

No, that isn't mechanical failure, thats just pure stupidity and lack of ability to drive, still good though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT7nM4ddoCM&feature=related

Part Stupid Part Mechanical Failure

Look dumbass do you understand what your radiator does and how it works? If you create a TON of load on your engine and it has no way to cool itself sufficiently (i.e. no airflow beyond what the fan is pulling) your car is going to DIE. There is a reason Dynos have a HUGE fan in front of the car

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 18, 2011

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ran into a Cummins 5.9l TD that threw the #1 connecting rod, took out the camshaft (snapped it in two) and put two holes in the block

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Third Man posted:

But what could kick something up hard enough to punch through, what, a 1/4" of steel?

re-frozen ice can pierce the oil pan if the engine came down hard on it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

grover posted:

Since Fukushima Dai-ichi was a pretty big and horrible mechanical failure:

I thought that was just the generator building for the backup water pumps?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

I know not of your spark ignition, It's compression ignition & direct injection all the way over here buddy. :colbert:

Spark plugs are for the easy crowd....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

teh jhey posted:

I'm reminded of a scene from Alien.

Connecting rods just want to be free!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grimster posted:

I'd ask where my 72 virgins are if I'm a martyr, but I'm scared they might simply gesture vaguely towards GBS...

Spirit, is this a sign of things that have been or things that will be....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

grover posted:

Budget cuts :argh:

I was under the impression it was because he was trying to express his African American pride.

That or he sold the springs from his car to pay for the driver

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Timing belts I don't mind as long as they have a sane replacement process and interval, especially on non-interference engines. Plastic has no business in an engine's valve timing system, especially on an interference engine.

I'm not fond of timing belts, but after using them on TDIs and volkswagen TDs, I have not minded them. Most of them last forever and as long as you get a quality timing belt, you won't have issues.

I fully agree though, plastic does not belong in the engine's critical timing system

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

No poo poo. A Kia is too good for him...hell, a riding lawnmower is too good for him. :psypop:

HEY GENIUS: drat near every modern car manufacturer has made an interference engine with a timing belt. Guess you'd better sue all of them too!

What kind of stupid entitled oval office do you have to be to think that a timing belt every 60k and plugs every 15k isn't reasonable maintenance? Holy hell, just a few decades ago you'd be rebuilding the engine at 60k. Not to mention that looks more like detonation damage than valves and pistons meeting. I guess that's kinda moot now though.

Sorry, people like that just really push all the wrong buttons with me.

No totally agreed. You break it, its your damned fault. Quit bitching, everyone else with a timing belt interference engine SOMEHOW makes it well into the high 300k miles, so either they just have better luck....or they actually maintain their engines.

Which could it be.....

Beast Pussy posted:

so your car won't start? Oh, sounds like it jumped timing.

*work work work*

*crank crank crank*

*crank crank* BOOM

Scared the poo poo out of and deafened me from two bays over and brought everybody into the shop, even the store guys.

What the hell happened? Backfire? Gas in the muffler? Or someone clog it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ola posted:

Just out of frame, a surprisingly stubborn potato.

"Why did you cram me in that muffler?"

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 25, 2011

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gorilla Salad posted:

I know this isn't D&D, but I can't be anything but disgusted that a politician could see that sort of destruction and then say that Congress won't pay a cent of disaster relief unless they cut it from the budget somewhere.

And to make it even more ridiculous, some of the cuts seem that they might be coming from the tornado forecasting service :psyduck:

Source

:psyduck: :psyduck:

How could you make a statement like that and NOT think that its not going to go over well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
How about the sound of horrible mechanical failures.

http://youtu.be/7EoN38iPapw

Broken piston or connecting rod, it runs with EXTREMELY low compression and sounds like crap

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Some poo poo I've done...

The head gasket for cylinder #6 of the LDS-465 motor in my M54A2:

The only thing more deafening than an unmuffled military turbo multifuel is one with a 2" head gasket leak blasting full compression right at the cab from the back of the motor. Dear god, that hurt through my earplugs. It still drove great though, only lost a little power running on 5 cylinders!

Here is the gasket, removed from the engine (I kept it as a trophy):

Diesels

'What I'm supposed to STOP working when I blow the headgasket? My bad....'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

you know it!

This one's even better, it's a turbo multifuel, 22:1 CR, and will happily run on anything from home heating oil to gasoline as long as you mix it together such that it'll lube the injection pump properly without plugging it.

It's a honey badger motor, it doesn't give a gently caress, it'll burn it.

Ironically most diesel are technically multifuel (except for the gasoline). You just have to prepare or filter more for different fuels.

But yes, the military multifuel diesels are like tiny gods

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bondematt posted:

They run very happily on engine oil pouring through the turbo.

That too, runaway engine GO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

yeah... :supaburn: better cover the intake pretty fast.

the old military ones will also run backwards if you drive into something very solid (say, a 10 inch tree, or a phone pole), stall it out, and bounce backwards hard enough to turn it over before you manage to get the clutch down. Ever have the motor restart and clutch in, shift into 1st, let the clutch out only to panic realizing YOU ARE STILL GOING BACKWARDS? That's when you notice the smoke coming out the intake and realize your oil pressure is at zero because the pump is running backwards.

scary poo poo, but it only takes once to recognize it.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/55796-ldt-465-ran-backwards.html

Its gone from suck, to blow!