Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

grover posted:

http://imgur.com/ is probably the next best way right now.

I use Tinypic http://tinypic.com/

Its fast and pain free to use. I do miss waffleimages....

ON TOPIC:

One of these things is not like the other...and none of them was content with being normal correct connecting rods. They wanted to be pretty pretty butterflies

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bondematt posted:

Jesus what did you do? Drive into a lake?

Not mine, someone I knew.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bang Me Please posted:

2012 Kia Sedona with less than 1,200 miles. No other damage.

Goodbye CV Joint. We knew thee well

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

eberbs posted:

That is loving amazing.
I read this part like 5 times:

The entire Mopar Action staff flogged the Neon mercilessly, but we couldn't break it (yet). The high (low?) point came when "Crazy" Eddie Yeznaian, intrepid rally racer and wildebeest extraordinaire, actually power-braked the car to the floor, cut the wheel to the left, and hit the nitrous in reverse. Nothin' like nitrous doughnuts after a hard day at the office! (Since this was done in the rain, does that make it Dunkin' Donuts?) If you can imagine what it must be like to be trapped in a spinning top at 200 RPM, you get the idea. Where are the air-sickness bags for this ride? H-E-L-L-L-P!

After the second full 10 pound bottle of nitrous had been greedily half-guzzled by the motor, we decided to go for broke before it was empty. We slipped in the killer 150HP jets. Is this sick, or what? We more than doubled the stock HP output! Jeeez! 13.82 @ 102mph. The motor took first gear launches at 2000RPM with cylinder pressures that should have shot the plugs through the hood, and exhaust gas temps that were slightly hotter than the surface of the sun.

Could the Neon go faster? And, mainly, would the converter stay in the transaxle, or launch like a Saturn rocket and slice our legs off at the knees? (And, do they rent hand-control Neons?) For our last runs of the day, we leaned out the fuel jet for only 5% excess fuel and stuck our guinea pig editor, Cliff "Pleeeeease don't blow the motor, guys!" Gromer behind the wheel. For his first duel, Cliff matched himself up with an automatic Mustang GT at the track. The pony car came out of the shoot even with the Neon, and pulled ahead by the 300-ft mark. The Neon, now in second, gets juiced by Gromer. Result? Like taking candy from a baby. Cliff's little rent-a-PL was so far out on the 'Stang that he was able to back off in third, turning a 14.15 at 96.7.

Later, in an impromptu street run from a 10mph roll-on, Cliff, the sick puppy that he is, hit the horn button in first gear, right on the "3" count, the 2-liter Twinkie motor screamed for mercy, the tires spun all the way through first gear. We were fender to fender with a fast 440-6 Challenger R/T. He ripped his piston-grip to second, but we pulled ahead. Clifford boiled the tires big-time into second gear, allowing the R/T to pull alongside. The Neon mini-motor wound tight-right to the rev limiter. Did Cliff lift? Did he back off? No chance! Ka-boom! A glowing three-foot fireball barked out of each side of the hood, and rolled back over the windshield. Cheeez! This actually caused the R/T driver to lift, but not Cliff! Wow. Say goodbye to Neon.

We pulled over, fully expecting to see rods hanging out of the block. Surprise. Only the airbox is blown apart. With the leaned out fuel system and the motor running so far into the rev limiter that the stock injectors were shut completely off, we musta floated the valves and backfired through the intake system. The motor was running a little rough (a slight understatement) and we're sure we bent at least one valve, or, more likely, blew the head off of a couple. Guess we should have followed Mark's rules (see sidebar). Needless to say it was the best $19.95 we ever spent. We gassed the Neon back up and limped back to the ever-smiling counterperson.

Thanks, Thrifty.

Every time I hear Nitrous or NOS now, all I can think of is retard-ism.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

My brain just broke. I'm going to start carrying around a bottle of Nitrous for putting out fires now.

I used to have an Halon Extinguisher someone gave me...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

The primary mechanism of extinguishment for CO2 and Halon/Halotron when used in an extinguisher (i.e. not a sealed room system) is cooling, followed by very temporary oxygen displacement. It doesn't matter that it "drops out" of the engine bay as it's not being used in that manner.

This is why on clean agent room-type systems the Halotron simply drops in from deluge nozzles, where extinguishers of the same type have cones on them to work like an expansion valve.

Yeah, I ended up using it to put out a fire when I was doing a chemistry experiment. It worked EXTREMELY well, I also had a CO2 extinguisher but the Halon was closer and worked faster.

I have a smaller Halon extinguisher I have by the basement door because of all the engine cleaner and fuels I have down there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

There's more than one "Halon", remember, so check exactly what you're using, especially if it's in an enclosed space.

Yes. It was used in a hood so it was well ventilated.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Block the intake: easiest way to stop a runaway diesel. Cutting fuel won't do jack crap, and the only other way to stop it that you could do is pull the glow plugs if they are accessible....the drawback being they may shoot off in your face at high speed.

Some diesel engines have a anti-shudder valve that is basically a throttle body butterfly valve. You can use vacuum and force that to close and achieve the same thing, but its a fairly new feature

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Negromancer posted:

Aren't glow plugs only used for starting diesels? I guess pulling one would open a hole in the combustion chamber so that it could no longer build pressure, but unless you pull all of the glow plugs, your not stopping the engine that way.

Yeah, it will stop compression....but believe it or not, I've done this before because we couldn't get the filter assembly off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Fire hazard wiring ahoy!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Me and Allen bolts don't get along:

And as the last bolt holding onto the driveshaft....I wanted it out bad. And this took all Sunday

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

I think I have broken every one of those bits that I've ever tried to use. gently caress those things.

I thought it stripped the bolt more....it didn't thankfully and actually got it out. I was sure it wouldn't work, but was out of ideas beyond cutting off the head.

I'm replacing the Allen bolts with either Torx or Triple Square.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 13, 2012

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Panaflex posted:

I was successfully able to remove a broken exhaust bolt from a B28F using one of these*: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952152000P?mv=rr

*Of course I had the engine on a stand and had perfect straight on access to the affected part. Even then, subsequent attempts to use this tool were met with total failure.

I bought that kit for the exact same purpose.....didn't work for me

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

B4Ctom1 posted:

I like to set a nut down over the top and then put a bead of weld on it.

The main thing I have used as a mechanic with allen cap head screws is a 3/8" drive "impact driver". That and knowing when your limits with a regular allen are up and it is time to use it. Or knowing how to hammer the head back into something usable when someone else has turned the flats out.

The toughest thing this tool loosens is steel threaded plugs from iron blocks.

This is what the new kind looks like.
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4608-Impact-Driver/dp/B000HT8I9O

I looked on youtube there is not one "how to" for this tool. Maybe someday I should make one.

Its great...but you wouldn't have been able to fit that where I was putting the tool. It was on the end of the prop shaft, and you had to go in at an angle

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sponge! posted:

Now if I were the engineer asked to solve the original problem (Which is summarized as: Old people become crap at driving eventually.) I would have made the brake pedal like a torque wrench. Takes 2-3 pounds sitting on it before there's a slight "snap" feel to it and pedal travel begins... Like how the turn signal switch eventually snaps into the "on" position. Or like Honda high-beam stalks and wiper stalks, but without the "make contact before the mechanical detent" part that comes in handy on the hi-beams...

I can also only imagine that an octogenarian pedal-foot drives some ABS systems absolutely batshit insane and is probably the root cause of some accidents where they wound up in the median on an otherwise nice weather day...

I would have simply had a contact switch that, when released, would turn on the brake lights. Simply and easy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

rcman50166 posted:

From what I understand, it's to avoid lawsuits. The cars have experimental parts in them that haven't been deemed safe to use in production models. If those parts got onto the market and someone got seriously injured or killed, the company would probably pay much more than what salvaging the car would save. I think it's a pretty common engineering practice, don't want the bad eggs (potentially) getting in the hands of the consumer.

Edit: beaten

Could be solved by a 'Release from Liability' form I'm sure any lawyer could draw up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sponge! posted:

Yes but in that scenario some big loving rich insurance underwriter like Lloyds of London was bound by contract to step in at the proper moment, drop their pants, bend over, and take the :dong: :dong: of Actuarial :science: deep into their large intestine and down the throat in a spit-roast worth at least $117 million US Dollars, because that's the game that they play. :gizz:

Concept cars, production mules, etc are considered a "sunk cost" that is a line item on the R&D budget for each model initially, and then every generational shift thereafter. Generally between generations the platform itself doesn't change drastically and thus most of the R&D can be done with chopped up production vehicles from last model year. When you think about it, if you're in the business of making upwards of a thousand vehicles per day, every day, you can afford to pull a few out of the distribution chain when they roll off the line for the dark arts of testing. Same idea as a bakery that makes 5,000 loaves a day and donates a hundred or two to the local food banks. They own the cow. They decide where and when the milk happens.

In all honesty though, I am surprised they don't wind up shipping them to some third world shithole with no established automotive safety regulatory body and sell them at or slightly below materials cost. I mean gently caress, there's a huge market for used American tires that sure as poo poo aren't road legal here, but can be sold for $5 in Mexico or Brazil versus PAYING $5 to legally dispose of them here... This would only apply to large automakers that wind up with 2+ dozen of these vehicles per model, per year. Something like Ferrari or Lamborghini make far fewer, and we all know that in both cases absolutely nothing loving changes between the mules and the production models anyway so they probably just hide the chassis for a few months and then put a random serial plate on it and push it out the door. Engine fires anyone?

Considering how many 'production cars' end up having problems that they didn't discover in the prototype phase anyways (i.e. Engine fires from ford, uncontrollable acceleration, etc.) why should it matter that they sell the prototypes?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MooseChief posted:

They are so much better that a simple rollover accident was removed as "adult major trauma" criteria a few years ago.

I'm really hoping the guy driving that car that caught fire got out in time :( But the roof was crushed to hell.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Delivery McGee posted:

What's happening with the ones that just have a little puff of smoke and stop? Melting a piston/blowing every gasket?

Headgasket more than likely, a lot of tuners do all the performance parts but then forget to do engine infrastructure like headbolts, proper performance headgaskets, and connecting rods.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Simple. Adding stronger head or connecting rod bolts doesn't directly make more horsepower, even if they are actually necessary for the engine to survive at the new power level.

Yeah, and when someone thinks like this, they just need to step away from the car...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

See also: Not finding out what the correct torque is with the new fasteners.

Well if they use ARP like everyone else (who can properly build a performance engine), they come with a little piece of paper TELLING you what to torque to and the procedure.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

nm posted:

This would mean they'd have to pick up a torque wrench.

Torque wrenches are your friend.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Falkenbok posted:

It looks like a Rotax with air cooled modular heads, but I didn't think they made a 6? Please tell me it is out of a motorcycle or some crazy air cooled GAZ, and not from what I think it's from.

Corvair

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LTBS posted:

This found it's way into my flower bed. I don't know where it came from. The only two cars that are usually in my driveway are an old suburban and a new Xterra. I guess it's my neighbor's way of saying I need to water my plants?

Seriously, no clue where it came from.

What the......maybe more car parts will start showing up and you'll eventually have a block and heads in your flower bed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LTBS posted:

Thankfully the new Xterra's water pump is different.

Like your Nissan got sick and threw up its water pump in the flower beds

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Collateral Damage posted:

I have no idea what's going on here, but I doubt it's working as intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_zC7QK64Ks

Its gotta be gas turbines....:psyduck:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

Serious question is it possible for train diesels to runaway like big rigs? Because thats a terrifying thought.

Yes. If the valve seals, piston rings, or turbo start leaking sufficient oil, they will run away. Any diesel can. They'll just eat their own lubricating oil till it runs out and then die a horrible death unless you can find a way to block the intake of air.

But with the locomotives, I'm pretty sure there is a cutoff for the generator to the motors, so even if the engine ran away they'd just cut the feed of power.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nam Taf posted:

It doesn't, but what he means is that there's no power going to the traction motors and so your runaway engine at least won't be charging down the rails at an unholy speed.

Yeah it'll just be filling the air with heavy greyish black smoke a'la:

http://youtu.be/5zx3qKX_Pno

B4Ctom1 posted:

Remember the fuel cutoff switch. You have to hit it though. Since locomotives only rev to about 900-990 RPM. By the time you could realize you needed to hit it.

I usually hit it right after the boom, flames, and all the clanking, earth shattering expensive metallic death sounds.

Yes there is also a governor connected to a fuel cut which trips if the RPM's hit above redline, but they can fail too.

If there is enough of an oil leak it should self-fuel, shouldn't it?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 23, 2012

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BonzoESC posted:

That's why the cutoff valve for diesels cuts off the intake:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shut_down_valve
http://www.pacbrakeoem.com/home/emergency-shut-off-valves

What you'd probably want is a big red button to close it, along with some kind of mechanical governor that automatically pulls it if the engine goes too fast. With no oxygen, whatever the engine's burning won't be able to ignite.

I know, I didn't know they had a physical cut off valve. Most small block diesels don't except for newer TDIs which have an Anti-shudder valve that can serve that purpose.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

From work today.

What....cut it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

revmoo posted:

Yeah we don't do inspections around here.

He MUST trust in god to drive that around....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Harmonic Balancer chewed out the rubber bushing and then chewed into my TDIs timing belt.

It made NO NOISE, until the timing belt shredded and wrapped around the crankshaft, locking the engine.

It survived this. Timing belt held. Still, scared the hell out of me, I was sure when I had it towed that was the end of my reliable little $600 Turbodiesel.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 20, 2012

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ACEofsnett posted:

In the midst of dual engine discussion, this really isn't getting enough love. Simply amazing. Was it an aftermarket timing belt? If it was a big name manufacturer, you should submit this to them as a testimonial.

It was a Gates timing belt, Gates seems to have the best reliability and least failures, at least for the TDIs.

I may send them the picture, that timing belt hung on for dear life and saved my little 1.9l Turbodiesel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sponge! posted:

Truly it was the best mode of horrible mechanical failure. It pulled a Casey Jones for you.

It was, but at 12:30AM on the 75 South, all you can think is "drat it, there goes my valves."

Thankfully, the next day after ripping out all the shreds of timing belt and timing belt cover, and putting my spare timing belt on (also Gates) and cranking it for 30 seconds, she fired up just like normal.

BlackMK4 posted:

Any pictures of the car otherwise? I'm intrigued by a $600 TDI.

I bought it for $600, had a siezed engine (#2 cylinder hydrolocked on oil, bad piston rings)

Towed it home from Denver, tored apart the engine and put in new piston rings and connecting rod, started like nothing ever happened. Has a bad intake valve, so at idle it lopes, but at speed it moves quickly, especially now that I've put in Euro spec injectors.

I'll get more pictures later, I had a rebuild thread in the forums somewhere.

Devyl posted:

It's more embarrassing when it happens at the drag-strip on your burnout :( The outer ring rolled down the track, and I imagined it was saying "I just want to be free".

More like "I'm outa here, losers!"

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 20, 2012

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This guy just friended me on facebook so he could ask some questions about the CB125 he's rebuilding...

Yeah I'd say you'll probably need a new one of those.

How the HELL did it get that ground down?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sponge! posted:

:blush: Great minds think alike?

Also, smoke or not, just the fact that truck was doing 80 is terrifying.

Actually, nm, its a chassis swap upon closer inspection. Not entirely as impressive then.

My question: Was it diesel? And if it was, permission to pull him to the side of the road and starting beating his face in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

No idea if it was a diesel or not, and it looked to me like the smoke was billowing out from right up at the back of the engine / front of the transmission - you could see a good-sized jet coming down from there. My gut is either major fluid leak or extra-major exhaust leak, except I would think an exhaust leak like that would be insanely loud too.

I literally have had to take parts to show and tell people at work WHY you don't run diesels rich without a bigger turbo....

For some reason, smoker diesels are all the rage in Cheyenne, WY. I had to stop and help a guy with a Cummins who was scratching his head on the side of the road wondering why his engine stopped and wouldn't start anymore....

Turns out, he had it running rich and had coked up the valves so bad it lost compression. He said it had been getting harder to start for a while.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VW correct? I had a door that just STOPPED OPENING on my 1989 Jetta Diesel....we could NEVER get it open again. I shut it one day, and no matter what I tried, it would never open.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SlapActionJackson posted:

My considered opinion on this matter after working on my wife's passat and observing some all around terrible design choices (this is a vehicle that made me tool-throwing angry while trying to change the battery) is that VW only hires the automotive engineers that weren't good enough to work for BMW, Porsche, or Mercedes.

I think Audi's problem was halting production on the 2.2l and 2.3l Inline 5s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

wow, they put independent front and rear suspension on it, thus making it much more difficult to build for offroad performance, and they still can't make it handle on the road?

I have to agree.

Wow. That was terrible. The Volvo and VW did awesome though.