Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The video seems to be down right now but here's the link to the clip of me putting my old Paseo out of its misery with a rod knock. Hopefully it comes back soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ftmc2atC0

Lasted like 10 seconds off the rev limiter.

Edit: Boostu

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I was told they were incorrect lug lengths for the studs and simply weren't long enough, or something to the effect.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Guy takes a piston to the chest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB-YwpvoPRY

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I keep watching it full screen and it looks like he comes away with both hands, I was pretty sure that was the piston, hence the reason for posting it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
At work today.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dave Inc. posted:

Oh god I never want to be close to the target of one of these things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU32sKRB_uw&feature=related

From awesome to terror in 30 seconds.

The GAU-8 Avenger gives me such a chub.

Edit: Photo does not belong in this thread as neither are anywhere close to a horrible mechanical failure.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 11, 2009

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that last post counts.

Clip of NHRA crashes with lovely youtube music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf7qV4GiZeg

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I have a half inch combo wrench I pulled out of my tire that did exactly that.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
From that streetfire link: The California, Ferrari's last with a stick? That blows cuz rowing our own gears makes us feel like big men

AI: rowing our own gears makes us feel like big men

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I should never have been allowed to drive an S2000 in anger because seriously, god drat, I have lusted for one ever since that day.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How did we immediately go from talking about high torque high reliability engines to boosted rotaries?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

frozenphil posted:

Reminder that the OCD detailer guy is the way he is because that's how you attract high paying retards who will give you $12k to wash their Veyron. Seriously, he has customers that pay him thousands of dollars to wash their cars because he has set himself up as that crazy over-the-top OCD detailer guy who will take a Q-tip to the grease in your hinges.

I use soap and a hose.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hey so just crossposting this, tried to start my parts car up. Taking all bets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYhtmJWe7E

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
A 2002 Toyota Tundra with a double gasket on the oil filter can explosively empty its crankcase in approximately ten seconds! :eng101:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Browsing Youtube for rod knock videos I heard this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blGCJoWrwV0

:froggonk:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

hippynerd posted:

I dont know who's bike this was, but they managed to saw the chain clean through the derailleur. I wonder how long they pedaled, slowly grinding away at it?

For someone who daily drives a 10 speed, this took me entirely too long to rationalise what I was looking at.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ephphatha posted:

Hell, the only way I can see you sawing through would be if you had such a poorly adjusted derailleur that it was rubbing in the smallest gear, and that wouldn't break it that high up.

Well, how did it snap then? That's not exactly a high stress area. I was justifying it as either riding on the larger gear or chain flex. Other than that I've got absolutely nothing.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Cross posting from my thread. I was doing a timing belt and water pump on my friends' '94 Galant after the water pump hucked the belt off the pulley. Think I found the problem.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

E: batch 2.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 26, 2010

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Seems about right for a Lotus.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait to get home to upload a picture I just took at work. 02 passat came in running rough with an oil leak. Stay tuned for the next episode of How the gently caress did that get there Theater.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For some loving reason even when I tilt the image manually and save it, and it shows up on my desk top right side up, Waffleimages still manages to load it sideways. What gives?

Anyways.....:stare:

The gently caress is THAT?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Revolvyerom posted:

Yeah, my first reaction was bearing shoe as well, and I was expecting this to result in a "So we looked deeper, and saw holes 1/2" wide in places, leading us to find..." chain of progressively bigger jaw-droppers ending in the total internal destruction of the crankshaft.

I wish, we wanted to yank it apart to find out why and where and how but the owner had it towed out as soon as we called to say "Hey we found something nifty in your engine."

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure the youtube of that incident was actually posted in the thread while back. I seem to recall they taped it for a demo of what not to do. Id post it but I'm on my mobile.

Edit: gently caress way to read the thread

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Horse Divorce posted:

While not particularly a mechanical failure, it's in the right spirit.

Was it exposed to any source of vaccuum?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, pictures

reposting because gently caress

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FatCow posted:

It was a 2001 Miata motor. That cylinder actually came up 180psi on a compression test.

Protip don't run near 14:1 AFRs on a track car.

It still seals, slap that poo poo back together.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Don't even try to tell me you wouldn't watch.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So a Dodge Dakota came in to work earlier with a complaint of a horrible noise coming from the car. Apparently the guy took it to Les Schwab twice and they couldnt find a single thing wrong with his car. Pulling it in sounded amazing.

Hm, that backing plate looks a little odd.

Here's the passenger rear for comparison.

Got a nifty little pile of metal dust on the rim. Odd.

:stare:

:staredog:

Something horribly wrong happened to the parking brake inside the rotor. It was pretty much completely gone. Even cracked the caliper mount. Tomorrow I get to pull the axle and fix it!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Chiming in that I'm on flat rate and I get paid for meetings. Dakota was an 03, got it all torn apart today in tome for the owner to call back that he changed his mind :(

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I did test drive it after reassembly, it only wiped out his parking brake in the end. Rotor was gouged internally but the caliper and stopping surface were fine. Drove ok after, heS just not going to be able to use the parking brake.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
First one from work isnt so bad, I'm pretty sure there's some needle bearings in here somewhere.

Second one, customer stated "I think I hit a rock." :iamafag:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Forgot to add this one to the other post, not so much horrible in what failed, more a package deal. Heater core on a Toyota Previa.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

JD Brickmeister posted:

Did that get bent, or is it supposed to be bent and we should just be amazed at the loving size of the thing? Either way...:drat:

An ocean liner had a boo boo was the general consensus.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
We used to have a push mower older than I was and aside from topping up the oil when it ran out and one spark plug that I know of that fucker lasted almost 27 years.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

jamal posted:

The cam gears on a subaru are composite plastic so if you drop or crack one they can explode sometimes.

This sounds like a retardedly fantastic idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
When I went to grease monkey school we had one of those with the phenolic gears that had grenaded in the tear down room and I heard it was a minor issue, but at least with them it was non intereence, but that may be anecdotal.