Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
probe was my first guess as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dr Rocksalt posted:

I think I may have mentioned it in AI before. We put a 1UZ in a 940 wagon, but then play with dumb ways of fueling and sparking it (much to the ire of the internet). Once it was snowmobile carbs, for a long time it was a “five pack” instead of the six pack mopar: idled in a one barrel carb, and then progressively opened up double two barrel carbs as you rolled on throttle. Spark was a cut down HEI off a small block Chevy driven by a cam gear. Hilarious and dumb, but was fun.

Current setup is a ford EDIS driving some dodge ignition coils I managed to get to work, and then four throttle bodies from Ford pickups that had the 4.9. They have close ish spacing and size to the lower intake plenum of the stock UZ so it’s like knockoff ITBs. Again, fun, hilarious, etc.

lmao why dont i ever remember you posting here before? this owns and you own

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i last posted in my project thread last june. once i start working on it again this summer ill post in it again. its fine

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

Yeah, he strips engines down for parts both to sell as good used and to sell as cores. From what I can tell most of his business is well known engines but he does videos on random stuff that gets requested in the comments on the videos he posts, and some of those that are really blown up he gets for basically scrap price specifically for a video if enough people request it.

He seems very selective about what he'll sell and what gets scrapped. I'd feel pretty comfortable buying from him. I'd probably toss a few valves and maybe guides in those 8.0 heads, clean up any burrs and dings from the pistons hitting to avoid hot spots, and run them as long as they're flat. They're 80lb of cast iron and the gaskets were still sealed fine, 99% chance that's all they'd need.

But everything in that bottom end is trash.

E: oh, who else noticed the cam being way way longer than it actually is? He looped a section of the video there so it's like a V16 or V20 cam :lol:

yeah i also laughed at spaceballs: the camshaft

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
is it my imagination, or is it articulating on that curb not with suspension travel but with frame flexing?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

madeintaipei posted:

This video is 25 min long. You won't need but 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ItPxPOZs08

some of the recommended videos that youtube's algorithm spat out at the end continued to feature this truck, so i guess he did end up working on it after all. i dare not click, because im sure i would spend my entire day watching videos about trucks, lol

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BobHoward posted:

I skimmed through a bunch and those videos aren't quite what you think. The youtuber did convince the truck's owner that it was best to remove any usable parts and scrap the rest, but because he is apparently also good friends with the owner, he got roped into stretching and strengthening a different (but similar/same model) truck the right way.

In one of the latest videos, the bad truck does make a reappearance. He starts removing parts from it (axles, suspension parts) that he's going to reuse, and that's when things get really :psyduck:.

When the truckfuckler added doubling plate by cutting up a different frame and bolting it to the original, he didn't drill holes to match the original's hole pattern. Instead, he torch cut them. By hand. Oversize. With technique even worse than the welds.

So, there were a bunch of bent bolts with absolutely wrecked threads. If that piece of poo poo had ever been made road "legal" and used, I suspect the structural failure race between sheared bolts and bad welds would've been won by the bolts.

But wait there's more! The fuckler didn't even install all the bolts he should've, because if it wasn't convenient he didn't bother. Some bolts were too short for the doubled up plate thickness, so the nuts couldn't thread all the way on. There were giant cracks in the original frame the fuckler didn't bother welding up. On and on and on, it's one of those things where the longer you look at it the more things you find.

christ. well, thanks for providing an executive summary so it sates my interest but avoids me having to watch like 2 hours of videos to get it, lol

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Oh my god - stick on hood pins...

holy poo poo, i was only looking at the push pin the guy was pointing out, thinking "well thats not great, but its only retaining the pin leash, right?" and totally didnt notice that the whole pin was fake :aaa:

BobHoward posted:

yeah his videos are a little long winded, aren't they

Here's the goatse bolt hole moment when he starts unbolting poo poo

https://youtu.be/vxqD13rDrxU?t=199

i don't mind that he's thorough in making his points, i just had other things to do that day and couldn't afford to get sucked into youtube for the rest of the day, lmao

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Galler posted:

I couldn't resist...also it's what I use most of the time

it works, but the little catalyst flameless butane ones are really nice. i think the one powershift linked is one of those, or at least has that attachment. i have an ECG J500 with the JT-003 flameless heat tip...somewhere

i end up using a lighter more often than not just cause i cant remember where i put the correct tool. its nice when i do find it tho

Darchangel posted:

I've got a Chinese clone crimper. One feature I see on the Astro is slots for the screws in the dies. Mine has holes meaning I have to fully remove the dang screws every time. Works fine, though.

i havent used the astro specifically, but ive used the "wirefy" amazon kit that looks identical and i am really not a fan. it works ok, but the dies are never quite the right size. i was trying to use them with the heatshrink butt-crimps, and the heatshrink dies under-crimped them and the uninsulated dies over-crimped them and broke through the heatshrink (as you'd expect).

i have started buying the iwiss crimpers either from amazon or from aliexpress depending on which is cheaper, and i have been pretty impressed. so far they've done exactly what ive wanted them to do, the visible quality of the dies looks better than most, and they're cheap enough that i just get a separate crimper for the handful of different types of thing i need to do instead of swapping around dies.

the "real tools" like TE or whatever are always going to be better, but im not going to spend that kind of money on hobbyist stuff.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wasabi the J posted:

The failures are coming from inside the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOTrS6-mNtA

this is a strange video

i agree with his overall point: the solder (and sometimes flux) wicking into the wire is the most annoying part of soldering wires. however, the exceptions he lists for when he does need to make a solder joint largely don't make sense to me.

the potted connector is fine; i had never thought about that problem but adding a little pigtail is a cute solution to it.

however, then he mentions D-sub connections, and shielded wire drains. you can just buy crimp d-sub connectors; AMP, ITT-Cannon, Cinch (those off the top of my head but others too) make 'em. the only reason i can think of to use solder cups is if they're maybe trying to fit too large of a wire than the crimp contacts can take.

for shielded wire, i like to cut the wire longer than it needs to be, then de-braid the shield to make a continuous drain wire without needing to solder or splice anything. might need to trim the strand count down, but that's not a big deal. twist em all up into a wire and heatshrink it together. then you can crimp it into whatever terminal you need to use.

seems like a weird oversight for pro harness folks to make

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

Old Smokey is dead, yeeted off a mountain, Driver is okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNiu4oWAueg

man. poor thing. it didn't deserve to have something like that happen to it. truly gut-wrenching.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

I can’t decide if I’m proud or sad that I understood all of that. Says the guy with a Mac SE, LCIII, 6100/66 AV, *and* a 6100 DOS compatible in the closet. All of which “ran when parked”. Not sure if they’ll fire up now.

if you become curious, check the caps and batteries before you fire em!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
isnt that the same thing that was in you am i's picture of horrors above? i thought apple used pretty much the same thing for decades.

the main issues with the G5 are the water cooling (if equipped) and the power supply (which is of course not ATX) from what i remember.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

randomidiot posted:

No. That's an oldschool Mac; I think sales of those ended sometime in the mid to late 90s. The G5 was the sleek as hell tower that weighs in around 40 lbs, and powered a LCD monitor over ADC (Apple Display Connector). I have a 17" Apple Studio Display to go with it, and it's maxed out on RAM + has a SSD instead of the original HDD (though the original HDD is still in there, disconnected, just in case the SSD shits itself). I believe it was the last desktop PowerPC Mac, though they continued to use the same case for the first Intel Macs.

Think I paid $25 for it with the monitor, slapped some generic RAM in, and threw an old SSD at it. Kinda scared to plug it in whenever I get around to digging it out, TBH - it's been probably 5 years since it was plugged in. Hopefully the power supply doesn't go Lucas.

I don't know if any of them were water cooled - this is the only Mac I've ever owned - mine is a low end one (for a G5) with a single CPU, with boring heatsinks and fans. IIRC it gets pissy if you try to boot it with the side panel off, they optimized the cooling to work with the panel on. Been long enough that I don't remember how it knows the side panel is off, but it knows.

i know what a G5 is, i have one too. i meant the battery was the same.

the dual processor dual core "quad" G5 was water cooled. that system was made by delphi, iirc, so that's automotive content right there.

Computer viking posted:

Oh is that the one that uses an ATX style plug with different wiring, as a trap for the unwary?

similar connector, and yeah i don't think it's compatible. the G4 (at least the MDD) even used an ATX-style form factor for the supply, but of course not compatible. at least partially because of the 24V needed for the ADC. so that's probably what you're thinking of

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
what are lifted duallies good for, anyway? the things you'd use a dually for (loading the bed heavy, towing) seem like low truck things, and offroading i doubt you'd want to be that wide and long anyway. weird setup

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

With a huge dick. That's the important point.

they just seem to project impotence to me, since they can't do dually stuff and can't do offroad stuff, so this doesnt seem right either

ah yes, into the trees, that's a great place to put all this fire

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
nice color though

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

It gets better when you know its a straight six with a single turbo/single exhaust. And the turbo outlet is only like 3" anyway.
It's literally like a penis sleeve/extension.

maybe the other one's a snorkel, then

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
yeah isn't that normal? AMC V8 has an external oil pump, ford Y-block has one, that's half the engines that i own, and all of the running ones except the bike.

plus all the buick motors you see around, like darchangel said.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Well, realistically, the SBC and LS engines are most commonly used for hot rodding purposes, and neither have an external oil pump. Neither do the Ford modular engines. Not sure about the SBF, and BBF.
Mazda rotary does not have an external pump, either.

edit: I don't know about "normal", but external isn't uncommon, I guess.

i looked at the windsor and FE before i posted, to see if they shared any dna with the Y-block, and both of those are internal.

yeah it's not the most common, but it's not weirdo abnormal stuff, was my point.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i dont like having it shoved in my face in every single thread either, but i also have the self preservation required to not confront a forums cop about it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
wouldnt all that uv be hell on the camera sensor? right thread for that reason alone

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Leperflesh posted:

welcome to california, lol

not really, but sometimes it feels like it

only with that weirdo modern stuff

just stay pre-76 like normal and it's fine

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Krakkles posted:

That's funny but aren't you generally legally required to have mirrors (in some form, and varies by state, I'm sure)?

in california at least, you're required to have the driver's side mirror, plus one other mirror of your choice. if you had to have a rearview, then a delivery van with no rear windows would fail.

my truck and my bike are the only ones that have passenger side mirrors, and the truck's are towing mirrors that were added later. i think only the bike had one stock.

Saukkis posted:

At least I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

lol, im pretty sure you are the one he was talking about, my dude

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
aluminum oxide (alumina) is a very common ceramic material

its prob not a bad casting, just very eroded from being underground for a handful of decades

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
aluminum on the inside, aluminum oxide on the outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
oh my god, are they putting chlorinated water all through the water jackets? :gonk: