Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

big bore ktm 2 stroke dirt bike i bought.

440?

How long did that thing sit like that to let the sleeve rust that bad?

I'll put up a few of my own.

01 YZ250 I'm working on. Clean break.

Click here for the full 1095x821 image.

Not mine:

All this poor thing wanted was transfer ports.

YZ250F crank that was not too happy with life:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

hippynerd posted:

How does this happen?

No torque plate was used while finishing the cylinder, so the cylinder was not put under proper stresses, and cause minute undulations in the cylinder wall.
This is my understanding, someone correct me if I am wrong.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I should have said more when I posted. I have also seen that predominantly in 2-stroke engines, as a result of the lack of a torque plate when boring / honing.
As there was no plate, the material was able to "slouch" and bulge slightly, mainly around the head bolts. Like was said, when it overheats, that is the first thing (the bulged spots) to contact the piston when the film of oil is broken.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

thArf posted:

now thats some shear failure
Rads really get dangerous when the cap does not vent properly...

If that was an accident, did the driver / passengers survive?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Damnit... still not being able to see half of the pictures posted.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
The thought of a boiler exploding terrifies the hell out of me.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

subaccord04 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmkHTkmj2_U

Back to the almighty Diesel.

One of the comments, not mine. Edited for spelling and grammar.

"Whats amazing is to have a truck come in with a BROKEN PISTON and connecting rod. It DROVE in, with decent power."

The Fubar videos were great. Showing how stupidity prevails. After watching a handful of random videos, I have learned a decent amount about diesels themselves, and the entire PowerStroke line.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
It looks like those had been run for a good while. Nothing is broken off, and it doesn't look like the ground was crushed flat, just bent a bit. Besides some damaged plugs that grounded out, I don't see too much of a problem.

Perhaps if the rod bearings let go so bad the pistons smacked the plugs?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Chuck some new seats, valves and a piston at it and hone the poo poo out of the cylinder and you will be good to go!

Seriously, newer 4strokes are like riding a hand grenade with the pin pulled.

No time like the present to get a worked over head, big bore kit, Ti valves and springs and some cams.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
MEK?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Devyl posted:

God drat. 250F or 450F?

EDIT: 5 valve - Yamaha.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
"It sounds different than normal when you are trying to start it"
No poo poo?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

tater_salad posted:

Hmm seems a bit out of adjustment.
Is that a 1cyl
Dohv lawnmower?
Does I have veeteek ?

BRP Rotax engine from an ATV.
150cc. Skipped a few teeth on the timing chain.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I just encountered death wobble on my lifted 98 Grand Cherokee for the first time last week while on the highway. I was going around a slight bend and it just started out of nowhere. Scary as gently caress. It didn't wonder around, or try to get out of control, just everything started shaking like mad and I could not steer at all.

After taking a moment to change my pants, I got a friend to take a look underneath while I was racking the steering over. The output shaft the pitman arm resides on - from the steering box - was moving up and down in the steering box about 3/4 of an inch. Time for a new box.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
From a friends FaceBook page:

edit: From a Grand Cherokee. Mine will probably do this sooner or later.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Where the hell do you get an NP242 for $75?! They go for over 200 here all day long!

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
What kind of rpm would that driveshaft have been spinning at when it let go ?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Turbocharging your completely stock snowmobile? Oops...

DefaultPeanut fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 19, 2012

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

kastein posted:

I know it wasn't enough to kill it, but I'd rather play it safe, no sense wasting a good 4.0 block, especially when I'm pulling it at some point in the near future anyways.

Every hydrolock I've ever seen resulted in an explosion within a few thousand miles. Granted, most of them weren't while it was puttering along at like 800rpm in neutral. Even the idiot who stuffed his jeep into a few feet of water at like 40mph with the engine turning 3k+ rpm got another few hundred miles out of it before it shot a rod through the block.

In a friends Grand with a 5.2 we hit a deeper than expected puddle at 80km and hydrolocked it at 2500+ rpm. This was at 3 am and no one was anywhere close. We waited for the water to bleed past rings / valves / valve seals and crank it every 20 minutes. Nothing to pull the plugs with in the bush, whoops. Started after 2 hours of crank - wait, crank - wait. 14K km later and it's still running fine!

Also, before you drop in your donor 5.2, do the intake plenum fix while the engine is on the stand / ground.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
What the hell is that thing hanging? A Condenser?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

lazer_chicken posted:

Don't see many camshaft failures on ohc engines these days.

Start looking at KTMs.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
You live on the North side of the Fraser, don't you?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Clunk clunk clunk clunk

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
From a Jeep forum I lurk at:

Apparently a fairly new cam just snapped in two. No signs of oil starvation or galling on the bearing surfaces. Casting flaw?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
It came out of a Chevy 327 swapped into a YJ.

Apparently the missing lobes dropped down and got chewed on by the crank. Broke a counterweight, piston skirt and holed the oil pan.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Sockington posted:

1/2" drive torque wrenches only go down to ~20-30lb-ft.

3/8" torque wrenches usually operate up to about 200 (+ or -) INCH pounds, which is less than 20lb-ft.

When you're working with small bolts and aluminium casings, it's best to be precise.

Got your drive sizes mixed up a bit?
My 1/4" Snapon torque wrench does 0-200 in-lbs, 3/8" does 15-100 ft-lbs and the 1/2" does 50-250 ft-lbs. On the note of aluminum parts needing exact torque, I have seen many cam seizures in four stroke MX engines because the owner didn't heed the graduated torquing sequence to 86 in-lbs.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

B4Ctom1 posted:

My 3/8" unit is identical to your 1/4", but snapon made it with a 3/8" socket piece sticking out of the head where your 1/4" one is. It looks funny.

Here is the one you have: QD1200 1/4" drive, 40-200 in/lbs
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=640949&group_ID=675226&store=&dir=catalog

Here is the one I have: QD2R200 3/8" drive,40-200 in/lbs
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=640950&group_ID=675226&store=&dir=catalog

the tiny little 1/4 ratchet head looks funny with the 3/8" drive sticking out of it

Why... Why the need for a 3/8" drive with that low of a torque setting? What could you need to torque under 200 in lbs where a 1/4" drive socket set would not be big enough? The 1/4" tq wrench in your picture is way too nice and new. Mine is old. Old enough to be made in :canada: by SnapOn

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I hear ya. That would make it pretty drat convenient swapping between teardown and build not needing to have two drive sets kicking about.

On a side note about transmissions, what do you know about the 4L30e?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

EightBit posted:

I don't think threadlock is quite good enough for an aquatic jet engine that is going to spin at ridiculous speeds.

Fun fact, the shop that is in most of his videos is owned by my father in law.

Stainless lockwire - good for heat cycles and vibrations. Wouldn't want to swallow one of those at high rpm.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Few things from around the yard. Sorry for the crappy pictures from my phone.

Hitatchi 350 excavator. Isuzu 7.8L diesel

Volvo A30D brake disk. How does is even crack like that? Long run down a hill with the brakes on, and hit cold water?

D9L V-12.

Someone thought half a bottle of ether was a good idea.
You could honestly stick your arm in one side of the block out the other.

A30D turbo failure

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

InterceptorV8 posted:

But they also don't drive fast.

Loaded rock trucks hum along pretty good 40k. We kept the tires around 70 psi for the Volvos 30's we run, bigger machines with heavier loads run them upwards of 110 psi. When we had to run them to another site a few km down paved roads, we set them for 85 psi and were able to keep them fairly stable at 70km/h.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Do I win some sort of prize or a plague of broken extractors to come?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

SiB posted:

God drat. Journeyman here make $35-40 flat rate with bonuses up to $45/hr. Free healthcare and benefits. Government will even pay you to be an immigrant! We can't find enough techs here..... Any of you want to move to Canada?! 200 flat rate hours per month is not unusual that's for sure.

Where the hell are you in Canada? I'm in BC, and the techs at our shop (Motorcycle, ATV, UTV) are at $35 an hour, no benefits or even coffee breaks! I'm a 3rd/4th year apprentice by hours, not schooling and I get $20 hourly.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Used Sunlight sales posted:

I've blown up enough two strokes to know that I'm looking at a CR125.

Did the rod run out of hours or did you twist it to 14,000?

No clue to be honest. It showed up in a box with an RO saying: Cust said engine made strange noise, estimate damage.

obso posted:

I don't see any heat discoloration on the crank so I'm guessing the latter. (And I think it's from a YZ125)

~2001 CR125

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

`Nemesis posted:

2013 Cadillac ATS heater core replacement:

Warranty flat rate time ?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Horrible engineering failure?

The entire building has settled around that hump which used to be the footings for an old highway overpass. Could this have been dealt with before constructing the site ~4 years ago?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
That area is going to be turned into a public clothing / accessories area after it has been fixed, whatever that entails. The dis concerning thing, the new overpass was built about 200 feet from the door you can see through. Whenever a tractor-trailer goes past, or even a large cube van, you can feel the ground quiver, you get bounced by a cemi.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Could you have hosed it down after it had cooled to help keep corrosion from occuring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?