Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Slavvy posted:

It's a water pump impeller for a motorbike. What looks like a parallel twin, maybe a honda? I don't know poo poo about vintage bikes.

Cold side wheel from a 1.8 turbo beetle. PO said he did deals on the turbo - found the nut sitting at the bottom of the casting.

EIDT: the bike in the background is an 81 CB650. God do I hate that bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
What a dirty gasket surface from just having had the head off. It looks like they did not even take time to fully clean it.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Passed by this the other day. N driver - only money for gas, not obvious poo poo like keeping your wheel on the car.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

M42 posted:

It's probably one of the hardest jobs to do on my bike. Plus I don't have a garage or tools like a drill press. A new plug seated for about a turn and a half before I met resistance... hopefully it's just soot on the threads. If it's wrecked, it's literally easier to replace the entire head than helicoil one plug :v:

Getting the carbs off might just dissuade you from going further. Sell the bike at a loss and save yourself the hassle.

Where are you located? I have a spare RD400 engine that needs to go in something newer.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
When do you say enough is enough? 5 years, and waiting for it's 3rd engine. Horribly stupid K car (P body in this case) owners.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

nmfree posted:

Not a mechanical failure, per se, but a failure nonetheless.

Why the self-serve American junkyard is dying

quote:

People aren't fixing their 1992 Dodge Shadows

Yes I am! Its getting drat impossible to find seats, or even tail lights for mine. Not even two years ago, all of the local wreckers around me were choked full of these things. Hell, they are running out of ZJs to rip parts from.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Splizwarf posted:

Using a cherry picker on dirt seems like a bad idea.

Its not bad. It should make cleaning up the ~30L of hidden coolant easier to clean up when the engine rocks and spills it.

IIRC on the I6 4.0L, there are big beefy bolts, or head bolts with threads sticking up that are on opposing corners of the cylinder head that you can slip a link of chain over, then a washer and nut.
Remove the hood.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Slavvy posted:

gently caress yes. I want to switch to bikes but I'm a little bit scared that it'll just ruin bikes for me the way working on cars ruined cars. I really, really, really like bikes and working on bikes and I don't want to lose that.

Let me weigh in on this - The first year or so, you will be elated to wrench and ride every kind of bike you will hate every motorcycle you come into contact with for threeish years after. People like to ride in the nice weather, guess when you will be working and not riding. If you can get past the first few years, you will like bikes / riding again. Having said that, you will make virtually no money working as a tech in a shop. Flat rate is where it's going for most bike shops. 0.6 of an hour to do a rear tire on a GL1500, from rolling on the bench to rolling off, gently caress that. 1.6 to do a complete service, including valve inspect and adjust on a CBR250, probably not going to happen. Raise the shop rate, customers get pissed off, so you drop the billed out time for the customer and gently caress the tech.

Sometimes it works out alright

Work on your own bikes, and your friend's bikes for cash. Buy poo poo bikes, fix and flip them.

DefaultPeanut fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 12, 2015

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
2014 KX450F with 52.7 hours on it.
Not much left from the engine that can be saved.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
End of that crank is roughed up pretty good. Did the two holes on the sheave have threads? If they are not threaded, I tap them and use a puller.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Hey. Do you know what these are?
DO YOU SEE?
DO YOU SEE?

The good ol' 5.2 / 5.9 lower plenum gasket leak.

Not the first time I have seen a DRZ lose the small end of the rod. Mind you, those were both with aftermarket connecting rods. Was this one an OEM, or aftermarket rod? Looks like it was a DRZ400E, so no cool wheel set to stick on something else. I have a spare CR500 engine that would fit nicely in there!

DefaultPeanut fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 16, 2015

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
C/S "My chain is slipping and seems loose" - Adjust and lube.

I hate customers.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"NO."
Make the customer sign a waiver before handing back the keys.

Service writers are not the smartest people I have ever met. Usually how it goes is that a bike with around 30 000 km lands on my bench for oil and filter. It goes one of two ways from there; it is in perfect shape and the owner does everything when needed, so it honestly here for just what the RO says. Most of the time, the rear brakes are ground down to metal on metal, tires are bald very poorly worn and under inflated. (my 'best' this year is 11 PSI front, 16 PSI front. When they should have been 36F 42R - no punctures) Would it kill a service writer to take a look at the very basics when they are there writing down the vin. It would save SO much hassle if you could note down "Tires hosed, brakes 5% on front, left fork seal leaking" before I have to do three laps of the shop playing tag. Doesn't help when the three counter staff's combined age barely passes the age of the head tech.

/rant.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Hey remember that jeep 5.9?

This is going exactly like my 5.9. Everything is trash. Pull the pan and find your Chia pet magnet with the band strut laying somewhere else. Does it still drive sans second gear?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Jeep started flashing a COOLANT SENSOR BAD error message when I backed it out which its never done beforem

That's a super common one and has to do with the display itself (at least in my case). I replaced the sensor and chased the wire all the way back through the harness. Only to find out that it is super common for the solders on the display board to crack and momentarily bring up that warning because it can't 'see' the sensor for a split second. Mine would randomly display that and a warning chime while I was driving. Bumps normally set it off. Just Empty Everyone's Pocket.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

kastein posted:

Well now you get to see the inside of a 46RE in its natural state :haw:

(I think those used a 46RE anyways...)

Dooo it dooo it

They are pretty drat simple things, kinda like a carburetor. Just, heavier. I rebuilt the one in mine when I was 20 and it's still going 50000 km later.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Water under the fridge. The floor was cleaner than the transmission.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
This is really the only sound way to do it if everything is worn as one. I have seen people throw a new rear sprocket with a different tooth count with a worn chain ( if it falls within the adjustable range) and nuke the new rear sprocket in no time. Same thing with a new chain on slightly poo poo sprockets.

The customer seems to have found his way and will be doing chain and sprockets, guide insert and rollers. Along with the rest of the neglected maintenance on his bike.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Saw a friend post a chronological update on Facebook of doing plugs on his Skyline :canada: a few years ago. One post was something like "lost a coil pack bolt but found a spare inside the garage." A few hours later was a video of "just did plugs, what do you think this noise is?" Two weeks later he had it up for sale with the head off, piston and cylinder thrashed.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I fear that one the three NP2XX transfer cases on / waiting to go into my jeep will do that. What causes them to grenade like that? The chains always look intact.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
25cc of four stroke fury with RACE INSPIRED engine design.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Finny a munched cam story comes up; we just had two Honda TRX680 engined machines, one quad and one side by side, come in with poor running off idle and lack of power, with louder than normal induction noise from the air box. Cue ~2.5 hrs of diag per machine from two different techs. Compression test and leak down show fairly normal results for the mileage. Normal results for fuel pressure, and other fuel / ignition related problems. Checking the valve clearances showed 5 times the allowable for the exhaust on both machines. The cam on these machines mounts on top the the cylinder, below the cylinder head. You can only inspect it by removing the rocker cover, pulling the push rods and buckets and looking at the lobes. The exhaust bucket on both were almost worn through and the lobe was almost worn down to the base circle. I'm not even sure how they ran. Now replacing a camshaft turns into rebuilding the entire top end, as there are a bunch of 'while you are in there' things.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Talking to Honda Tech line about it, it is a fairly common thing, as the cam is only splash lubed by the timing chain. There is a little stamped aluminum tray under the cam to help retain oil that it can dip into.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

EightBit posted:

That's a pretty poo poo design.

It was a confusing time for Honda; they packaged a poo poo valvetran design with a three speed automatic that uses engine oil as ATF. No separate filter or dedicated cooler for the transmission, just an extra pump and a torque converter the size of your palm. Not so great of an idea to put in a utility quad that will see a shitload of abuse and deferred maintenance.

This little bastard killed everything within a 1 foot radius.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

EightBit posted:

That's a pretty poo poo design.

I was wrong, the other source of oil is from whatever drips down between the lifter buckets and cylinder head, less than 0.0015" clearance. A very poo poo design.
Here is what is left of the cam. I am surprised it ran at all.

Must have taken a few miles to do this.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

cursedshitbox posted:

Timing chain failure after 3200mi.

KTM?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
What's book time on that? Somewhere around 3.7 hours?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Fresh 80/90 GL5 smells pretty decent coming out of the bottle, limited slip additive spells really bad though. Burnt and crispy oil bath type stators have a worse than normal burnt electronics stink that likes to get in your clothes and stick around for a few washes. I was pulling apart the forks on a 1974 Yamaha that still had the original fork oil, the only oil smell that has made me gag almost to the point of throwing up.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Or wire the bulbs in the lit position to a working indicator that will extinguish as normal.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I have filled, installed, charged and inspected hundreds Yuasa batteries in motorcycles, and have never seen a failure anywhere close to that. You are pretty safe if its a sealed VRLA.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Rolled in for no start, found this spliced into the pressurized fuel line. :stonklol:
Regulated pressure is ~50 psi

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
You could see it bulge when you cycled the key. It seems they cut the stock hard plastic line, cut back the protective outer skin, and used low pressure line and spring / Corbin clamps to hold the filter on. No flares or means of capturing the line where the soft line transitioned to the hard line. The funny part about this, the "shop foreman" (read: idiot) was chewing me out because I was not going to begin diag without a proper line that was not going to blow up in my face, showering me with 50 psi of fuel. Apparently I love stranding jobs for 'bullshit" reasons.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Fo3 posted:

mazdas

8mm?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
After the 3rd or 4th one it should be down pat. I'm getting these down to a little over 9 hours.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2015/december/recall-yamaha-2015-yzf-r1-and-yzf-r1m/

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
15.8 hours. Flat rate is a fickle beast.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Slavvy posted:

Bummer. For some reason I thought the new R1 had a cassete gearbox so when I first read about it I thought it'd be a piece of piss. A guy at a local dealer told me they were panicking because they needed some special tool that Yamaha NZ had yet to even bring into the country despite already sending out the recall letters. This sounds plausible but if it's true, what is the tool for?

It would have been a bunch easier if it was a cassette style. The only special tool I can think of is the socket for the castelated tension bolt for the frame / engine mounting points. If there were really in a pinch, a dealer could have found some appropriate sized steel tube, cut properly sized notches into one end and welded a nut or socket to the other end. In other recall related news, a bunch of newer DL650s, and other bikes that share the same engine are getting cams and buckets! As always, KTMs are garbage.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
You'll probably find some bent to poo poo screws somewhere as well. When you have the stator off, replace the crank seal too; it looks to be as old as the bike, and is probably leaking.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I got stuck in some of that traffic. Also, whats up, BC buddy?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
^^ Going with that. Tire shop probably mounted the tires up, stripped off the old weights, balanced with fresh weights. Second pic has the break rotor, is it looking through a spoke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Pfffft.