Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Excuse my ignorance, what is the purpose of the safety wire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

tater_salad posted:

I'm a fan of the penis shaped indentation in the piston.

Came here to say this. Should we get married now? Oh wait it's not legal where I live

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I had to replace all four on my Corolla the other day. The mechanic pointed out a couple of tyres sitting on the other side of the shop, initially I thought they were racing slicks given the size of them. Nope just off the back of an X5-M and bald as gently caress. Apparently the woman only replaced them due to a massive nail through one, the fronts were just as bad but NOPE :nyd:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

InitialDave posted:

Dog's have all-paw drive and low gearing out the hole, great 60' times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPU2Pf8X79w

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Working dogs best dogs. My ex has a Collie/Kelpie cross. I wasn't a dog person until I met that adorable menace. Damnit, now I miss having dogs.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Walked into my mechanic a couple of months back, he's my bosses brother so I kinda trust him. We saw a couple of huge slicks sitting in ther corner, I asked him about them. Turns out they aren't slicks, they came off the back of an X5. The owner so was shocked that 335 35 r20 (?) cost HEAPS even when you buy lovely Chinese knock offs she balked at replacing them. She was failed on local inspection and had to replace them. Imagine her repsonse when he suggested the fronts were also terrible and they needed replacing too...

I think someone on these forums explained it prety well - An X5 is an aspirational car and now people who are wrapped up in "I own a BMW X5" can own one for cheap. They just don't understand that the luxury car that makes them look like they own the world on the school run comes with high service costs.

People mock me for my 20002 grandma Corolla. Guess what, I can afford it. And the service costs.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
It just makes me so happy to live in a small town. I've had girls I've dated recommend me the mechanic I already use because they don't act like shits. How hard is it? Do your job well, treat everyone the same. Problem solved.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Vanagoon posted:

Sup cheap rear end, give no fucks car buddy. :respek: My Grandma Corolla is a 2000. Is yours beige? Mine is Beige. Or as I like to call it "Old Man Tan"

Tighten up the throttle cable slack and the transmission kickdown cable and you can make it move pretty decently.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/112409-a-guide-to-adjusting-the-throttle-cable/

be glad you don't have a 98 or 99. Those don't have the Variable Valve Timing or Coil on Plug ignition yet.

How often do you have to put oil in your shitbox Corolla? Stupid 1ZZ-FE. :/

Mine is Old Lady Silver. I call her Beryl. Manual, natch so she gets about ok. Doesn't seem to use much, if any oil. I've seen a lot of people complaining about the 1ZZ-FE but they all seem to be in the wrong hemisphere?! Might be she's only done 110k km so the issues haven't set in

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
they dyno'd the 5.0 in the latest engine masters episode. It makes power.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Memento posted:

The Letterkenny hockey players cold open is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Absolute truth

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

wow that one took me a solid 5 seconds to parse. I drove a forklift for a bit in a summer job. I have no idea if it it had seatbelts because we sure as poo poo didn't use them. I also didn't have a forklift license which certainly was mandatory. God bless Fonterra and the 'jobs for the boys' mentality.

The sum total forklift training I recieved was:

"see that big dent up there where the aircon duct is?"
"yep"
"well that's why we don't have air con anymore, don't drive around with the mast up"
"oh"
"what did you say your last name was?"
"REDACTED"
"huh, is REDACTED your brother?"
"yep"
"oh, well that was your brother that made the dent, I hope you're not a gently caress up like him"

slothrop fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 28, 2017

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Never smugly tried to teach my girlfriend how to change a tyre “the proper way” only for her to turn around and ask if the spare was supposed to be flat also when I lowered the jack.

joke is on that goddam tyre. I drove 2500km around rural Australia with gently caress all cell reception and I didn’t need the spare until I was at home!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
At first I thought that was a stray zip tie or something and was like "whats the beef?"

:eyepop:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Invalido posted:

So the shitbox gets junked and I got to spend all day wet, dirty and uncomfortable, throwing new parts at a car that's going straight to the crusher.

that's the worst thing in this thread. That fukken sucks. I hope your brother appreciates you! did you ever finish up that engine swap in your Nissan ute?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Yeah the smell has always been there - on both my foresters in fact, even when stock.

As far as the stalls, it’s all part of the learning and acclimatization process. It always gets better.

Hell I still stall sometimes and I’ve been daily driving manuals for like 20 years. No excuses like a tricky clutch either, it just happens sometimes. Best thing is to not sweat it, get the car started and moving again.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm very happy with my Miele vacuum.

We have an older Dyson handheld that can go die in a fire. We replaced it with a Miele I found ex-demo for AU$250. The difference is staggering, the Miele is amazing. gently caress that goddamn Dyson clogging up with hair everytime you use it forcing me to disassemble the whole goddamn head to clean it.

I can't understand the prices of Miele in the USA though - they seem to be horrifically inflated.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

evil_bunnY posted:

It literally costs nothing to take someone aside and admit your mistake, and they'll think more of you for it.

So much this. I've been plenty guilty of using problematic words in the past, not from a place of malice but of ignorance. I'm always happy to be gently told that what I've said isn't acceptable. I try to do the same when I hear someone close to me use words I don't think are appropriate.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

"We've Been Trying To Reach You About Your Car's Extended Warranty"

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Kinda relevant but I could use the key from my 2002 Corolla to unlock the drivers side of our 90's? work Hiace, and then start it. Wouldn't work on the passenger side, sliding door or tailgate though.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Also don’t underestimate people’s abilities when it comes to stupidity. I remember seeing what I thought were racing slicks in the corner of my mechanics workshop. I asked him what they came off, expecting a V8 Supercar or something (I used to live ~near~ Mount Panorama/Bathurst)

The answer was: an X5. The owner balked at the price, got the rears replaced and left the fronts on, despite him protesting all the way.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

STR posted:

Ol' Henry realized the value of a 40 hour work week too.

How many Model 3s will we see getting around at vintage rally’s in 100 years :v:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

I almost wanna say wrong thread. It's not awesome, unless it's functional though :v:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Also yes, soldering wires should never be necessary in automotive applications. A crimp is always preferred. Soldered connections fail at the point where stranded wire meets the rigid solder.

Don’t you live in the UK? Are the roads there as bad as I’ve been lead to believe the ones in the US are?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

is there anyone in this subforum who hasnt spun a car?

spinning is too e-z, call me when you've end-over-ended (please don't do this, I was 18 and very lucky to live)

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

charliemonster42 posted:

If you want a really fun evening in and enjoy reading, you could read On The Beach by Neville Schute and get this experience!

Neville Schute (Norway) deserves a spot in this thread, not because of his own mechanical failings, but becasue he wrote about the failings of what "just might be the most incompetent civil aviation project of all time" and was involved in a far more competent competitor to the same project.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&pagenumber=808&perpage=40#post447403446

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Is no one going to talk about the vice grip window winder?