Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Splizwarf posted:

I regularly forget to put sodas in the fridge ahead of time, and find myself cleaning the freezer pretty often. They fail at just about every point I can think of. The most fun cleanup is when one tears all the way down the long way. The bottoms don't pop that often, actually.

I'll back this up, they break where ever they feel like it. Always remember to empty the vending machine on the front porch before the temp drops...god that was a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Yesterday morning I got a call from work that two of our computer cabinets had went down. Lucky me being on call I dragged my rear end out of bed and went in.

Out supercomputer cabinets are liquid cooled with radiators above and below the computer modules. The r134a from these radiators is cycled back to a heat exchanger which uses chilled water to control the temp of the refrigerant. The whole system (4 cabinets and 1 heat exchanger) is charged with ~250 pounds of r134a.

Each one of these heat exchangers has a large electric motor to cycle the refrgerant through the system. These motors are completely sealed with an external j-box for all electrical connections. The J-box is flooded with silicone. This is a very heavy duty motor and is a bitch to replace.

When I got there this is what I saw:

The black stuff on the floor is assumed to be bearing material or plastic from inside the pump. A bearing in the motor failed allowing the pressurized r134a to run through the pump and into the j-box. The j-box isn't made to handle pressure and pushed the gasket out. The entire refrigerant charge and j-box silicone escaped through a pinhole size leak, we are guessing in less than 45 seconds...wish I could have been there to hear it. I walked in to find a oil slick (silicone) with little black pools of water (condensation+bearing). Ended up taking 10 hours to clean up, swap the pump, start refilling the system then notice the reservoir is contaminated. Hell of an initiation for my first week on call.

Today we pumped it back out, changed the filters and started filling it again.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 1, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Coasterphreak posted:

You're probably looking at a Cray cabinet or something roughly equivalent.

Good guess. This is on a the Cray XT5 supercomputer JaguarPF (PetaFlop). The cabinets idle at 8-10kW and run between 22-30kW most of the time. Now take into consideration JaguarPF has 200 of these cabinets, Kraken in front had 88 cabinets and is currently being upgraded to 100 cabinets.

So with both systems at idle we are pulling 3000kW, at an average running load of 25kW we are pulling 7500kW...and that is just for the cabinets. That doesn't include the chillers in the room circulating air or the 72 heat exchangers keeping the cabinets from overheating. drat just realized we have around 18000 pounds of r134a in that room.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

teh jhey posted:

Thanks, I feel so much less bad for leaving the bathroom light on overnight now.

Yeah the power our systems draw is a bit insane. Also forgot to mention the 132 XT4 cabinets of Jaguar and Athena upstairs, 14 XT6 cabinets of GEAE/NOAA, 5 single cabinet test/development systems and all the disk/storage to handle the system.

It is a hell of a sight and if anyone is ever in East Tennessee it would be worth looking into what it takes to get a tour of ORNL.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

I would read the hell out of a [Tell] thread about your work with these systems.

Sponge! posted:

EPA 609 cert checking in. I too would like more details.
I had wondered if there would be any interest in something like this. I'll see about writing something up. I'll try to track down all the numbers (cpus, cores, memory, storage, etc). Also need to check in to see if there is anything I can't talk about. Looks like I'll be bringing the camera to work one of these days.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Do you have breathers in case of a major failure of system...like the one that happened?
I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe we have breathers (manually triggered) for emergencies. Otherwise with the massive amount of air circulated per hour slow/little leaks of a couple pounds a week are kind of ignored.

edit: Got the ok will start working on it as time allows.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 1, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

For those interested here is a quick ask/tell thread about Cray and the supercomputers I keep running.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386166

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Nomex posted:

That seems like absolute overkill for 30Kw a rack. I've got clients running 30 Kw on air cooled racks (Thanks P-Class blades!). I can understand the need for water cooled heat exchange doors, but refrigerated? Seems like a waste of money.

I think one of the main reasons for the cooling systems we have in place is to take a lot of load off the chillers located throughout the room. The cabinets peak at 42.7 kW so if all 300 were running at that it may be too much for the air handlers to overcome. The way it is setup the air coming in at the bottom is supposedly the same temperature being expelled at the top of the cabinets.

But yes we have several air cooled systems that run just fine.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Sponge! posted:

Engine Destruction

I just want to know where this is going to take place. If it's within a days drive or so I can provide a thermal camera, multiple gopro cameras, a two stroke motorcycle engine and possibly a i4 engine. This horrible mechanical destruction needs to happen.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Mecha-Tech posted:

Ah that look familiar. We had that happen on a site and it flooded the computer room with 5 inches of water. Good news was raised floor, bad news the blowers in the computers had enough power to suck water up 3 feet into the cabinets.

We also found out that day the under-floor moisture sensors weren't hooked up properly.

Reminds me of another day when they were working on some plumbing in the back of the room. Someone turned a valve or something they weren't supposed to and sprayed the back row of cabinets. 5 or 6 got sprayed and I spent the rest of the week checking power supplies, replacing back planes and cleaning up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Half of US service stations? Where are the ones that don't sell diesel? :psyduck:

Driving through sections of Illinois/Indiana a few times and running low I managed for find no less than six exits in a row with gas stations and no diesel. Some spots are better than others. I still love my diesel.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

thebigcow posted:

Every car I've owned required a safari to find the transmission dipstick and fill point :confused:

Or you may have something like the old E30's with a manual transmission. You check the fluid level by removing the fill plug in the side of the transmission and sticking in your finger. If it is to the fill plug you're good, if not add some...to the plug which is flush or slightly above the floor pan of the car.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

From here - http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110552

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Brother is borrowing a friends car while his is getting a new transmission. Those BMW's are pretty fancy.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Friend had this come into the shop today. Sadly it was towed there, I was really hoping it was brought in for a leak or "making a strange noise."

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

From a 2008 F-550 work truck it apparently also took out some brake line and generally made a mess of everything in the immediate area.

Here's another - guess what bolts were loosened to make it "leak"

exhaust manifold

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Why would they get you to put it on the jig if they didn't want it given an alignment?

Throw it on the rack hoping it's a quick adjustment then find out it's new struts/control arms/etc. $50 alignment job vs hundreds in parts + labor.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

With the wet Miata, would those large bags of silica gel for gun safes and such work to help? And wouldn't removing the stereo to dry it out help?

Silica gel packets will work good, I hoard the stuff when we get parts in at work for keeping things dry.

One trick I've used to dry out wet electronics is wrap in a towel, place on top of your dryer and run a couple of cycles at high heat. Saved a couple laptops a phone and some misc stuff that way.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

DrPain posted:

Customer wasn't even mad. Better you than me they said.
I had this happen at about the same speed on the back of a VW caddy/pickup, full tread flew off leaving just coards and a flat tire.. I noticed it leaking and had filled it up a few miles ago at a gas station. Seemed like it lifted the whole back of that dinky little truck off the ground when it went and drat did it make a bang.

Sounds like a good customer to me.

Unrelated...on my brothers E30. Who can tell me what's wrong with this picture

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 13, 2013

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

H1KE posted:

From a FB group I visit. Turbo 700 trans in a Holden Kingswood decided to let go at 140km/h :stonk:. The fact that the driveline basically sheared itself free scares the poo poo out of me, and I am now going to make sure I check out the diff / trans clunk on the Valiant before pushing it too hard, since I'd prefer not to have to try and steer 2 tonnes of crazy out of a skid with no power steering.

drat we had the driveshaft support bearing in our ChumpCar go out at the last race, luckily at the slowest part of the track ~40mph. If it would have lasted another 20 seconds or so it would have gone out at ~120 and I wonder what kind of damage it would have done.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I need to get my neighbor to let me record his beater/commuter Wrangler. When I moved in a year and a half ago it sounded pretty bad, now I can hear it entering the neighborhood. Not sure if it's rod knock, piston slap or something else but the drat thing just sounds terrible. Last I saw it had a little under 500k on original engine and transmission.

He has a spare engine and transmission sitting in the garage we'll toss in when this one finally goes. Jeep 4.0L :black101:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

I have been happily surprised with Amazon's car parts offerings. Their sorting sucks, but use rock auto and cross reference part numbers

Advance, NAPA, O'Reiley, Rock, etc couldn't get the correct brake line for my car despite me giving the part number they said it didn't exist. Plugged it into Amazon and had it shipped to my door. Using them more and more often.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

From a QX56

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

este posted:

It finally happened to someone I know:

I wish one of my friends was negligent enough to let it get this bad, that would make a great face for a garage clock.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

From the ChumpCar race this weekend.

6:45am - "Those pads have plenty of life, should last the day just fine"
2:45pm - "Getting some pretty bad brake fade guys, see if we have spare pads to toss in at the next pit stop"
3:00pm - "Ok brakes are poo poo but I'm going to try a few more laps, next driver suit up and get tools ready"
3:05pm - "I'm off, sitting in the gravel trap off turn 2. I'll be in as soon as the rescue truck pulls me out"

Tossed in new pads, fresh driver and finished up the race.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phone posted:

What car and pad?

Car #86 (Red E30 Convertible), pads are Hawk Blue's that were new beginning of the day Saturday. They lasted about 14-14.5 hours of heavy use (Road America) so I can't complain at all.

Ha forgot the backing plates on those are supposed to be blue, guess the paint doesn't hold up to getting red hot.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Here's a shot of our tire from the chumpcar race a few weeks ago. Either picked up something in the hot pits or on the track because it was at pressure when we were staging. Made it <10 laps before he came in because the rear end felt a little funny.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Terrible Robot posted:

They're light-years ahead of the lovely ceramic/tin (or copper if you are lucky) bullshit that Volvo managed to get away with all the way up to 1993 on the 240.

Oh gently caress those things, I hate those lovely fuses. The 928 and the E21 both have those, I'm looking at adapting a E30 fusebox or building my own to get rid of those little bastards. So sick of twisting fuses in their holders to troubleshoot electrical issues.

On the E21 at least they are under the hood and easy to work on. 928 puts them in the passenger foot well behind a piece of hinged plywood...

not my car, random internet picture

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I'm going to have to agree on wrong tires for the car. M5 is too heavy to be running those at the track at anything above a mellow pace. Run that in a-group...good luck. Sure it would held up fine for an autocross where they have plenty of time to cool down but a 15-20 minute hard session and those tires didn't stand a chance.

Throw those on a more appropriate (lighter) car and they would likely be fine.

edit: damnit I need to stop leaving tabs open and coming back later.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ah Ferrari, at least it isn't on fire...yet.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Stolen from Jalopnik this morning - some people just don't understand what Run Flat means apparently

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So your AC compressor seized but the clutch is fine? Well...

Amazing

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 24, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I love that Tennessee permits them (October 1 – April 15) yet Wisconsin doesn't. I know some spots (high elevation) in Tennessee get actual snow and nothing is flat in the Eastern half of the state but it still seems backwards.

I used to do occasional ice racing and picked up a well used set of studded tires. Even being almost shot the extra traction was amazing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Javid posted:

My shop teacher in high school in 2000 told us all about taking a wheel explosion to the face and neck in 1993 and how he was still occasionally having chunks of it work their way to the surface.
:stare:
About once a year I have stitches from an operation done 28 years ago surface. Also occasionally get dissolvable stitches from 16 years ago that work their way out.

I've been lucky with cutting discs. The one I've had explode went through the back of a thin metal cabinet and is still stuck in the drywall.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kastein posted:

Those kinds of plants (as well as aluminum smelters and refiners) are typically located very nearby to their power generating stations because of the gigantic load they represent. They often have to call the power company up and time their smelting operations so that the power company can bring power output up at the same time, else it'll cause widespread brownouts or blackouts.

We have to warn the on-site power station when we are going to power cycle the Titan supercomputer so they can be ready for the huge swing in power. That tends to happen when a computer draws ~8.2 MW.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Das Volk posted:

That poo poo cray.

:hfive: I should really do a ask/tell thread about that thing. I should also check with the boss and see if I can post some of the horrible mechanical/electrical failures we've had. Nothing like walking into the room and smelling smoke.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

From the WRL race yesterday, they smelled something strange every time the car drove by so they called it in.

The smell was burning shock oil. They swapped it quickly but still dropped from 1st to 3rd place.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Not sure if this is horrible mechanical or just horrible person failure...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

The best part about this failure is that they drove the car to the shop :stare:

http://www.rent4ring.de/en/news/2012/600000kms-and-1-mechanical-failure.html

Spent some time bullshitting with these guys this morning, great place and if you ever make a trip I'd highly recommend renting from them.

Horrible failure of the human nature, as we were checking out a guy was sitting at the counter placing a call to the German police to report an incident. Bad news when the phone call goes like "Hi do you speak English? I'd like to report an incident." No sign of the car at the shop after so assuming pretty bad.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'd be proud to rent one of those little fuckers.

The Swifts are great fun and much better than I expected them to be. They have a little trouble on the long climbs, especially if you lose momentum before. Other than that we had a blast in the Swift and considered just running that both days. Steering, brakes and everything about the car is excellent and makes it fun to drive on the track. We ended up sticking with the 125i for day 2 and holy poo poo that's fun.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

8ender posted:

I don't have any pictures because its all internal but I got to witness a Porsche 911 GT3 go horribly wrong on the track today. Makes a horrible warbling noise with revs cluch in or out, occasionally something thumps inside the transmission. Starter has stopped working entirely. We bump started it to verify the noise and its oddly drivable but the owner didn't want to risk doing more than park it. I have no idea what would cause this combination of symptoms.

It was absolutely cooking before it happened. What a majestic car :(

Ouch that's always a bad way to end a track day. GT3's were all over the place at the ring the other weekend but the best part by far was signalling a GT3 by then him quickly moving right to let a E30 M3 (Group A Replica) by. Also two Ferarri 458's playing.

Fucknag is right though, generally if someone is tracking a car like that they can afford to fix/replace it. Most of the time at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kastein posted:

This is where I say (again) that my favorite aircraft engine of all time is the Junkers Jumo 205... a 6 cylinder, 12 piston, 2 stroke, supercharged, dual crankshaft opposed-piston aircraft diesel.

No valves, no head gaskets, gear-driven timing, weighed 1300lbs and made 870hp - in the 40s. The accessories were all run off the slave crankshaft which had the added benefit of significantly reducing the power the timing gears had to handle.

I am unreasonably fanboyish about this engine design :swoon:

Pretty sure that's the engine I spent at least a half hour staring at and figuring out how everything ran at the Berlin Tech Museum. Very strange, very cool.