Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

thArf posted:

blew the spindle off with a little abuse

hires http://tharf.com/albums/random/IMG_1350.jpg

:words:

Given the uprated multi-shock system, it looks like someone got a bit too excited running through the dunes. What is this? GM? Toyota? It really makes me want to replace the bad drivers side front wheel bearing on my hilux all of a sudden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

InitialDave posted:

This is epic. However, someone's probably going to steal it now, given the detailed instructions you've provided. Do you think it could handle the tongue weight of a small car trailer with an integra type-R on it?

Nevermind, if it's the same as this thing, its' so :black101: it boggles the mind. It could probably pull a house down, albeit at 5 mph.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

I took these a few years ago. My town (Stafford, CT) is set in a deep valley, and periodically the lower areas will flood pretty badly thanks to the Willimantic River. (The whole town used to flood before they installed a series of flood control devices..)

These shipping containers were in the parking lot of a factory building almost a MILE UP RIVER! The river got so high (normally two feet deep) that it carried them all the way down to this railroad bridge, which they hit hard enough to bend significantly. (The containers, not the bridge)

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

JointHorse posted:

No. My dad's workplace was nearby, so I called him and after a quick look we removed most of the glass and he drove it to his workplace, where it stayed until we could install a new windshield (made sure it was the laminated type). I was still a bit too shaken up to drive anything :v:

The car in question is a 1974 Mercedes 406 van, so it probably had the original windshield on.

Post pics in the pic thread! A non sprinter Mercedes van is very strange to my American sensibilities.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I wonder how long you can go without an oil change with an otherwise well maintained car running on synthetic under light driving?

Assuming you plumb in a good external accessory oil filter? In that case, basically until your car consumes the oil.

Otherwise? Not that long. Oil gets contaminated with carbon quite fast.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

[My hosting]

I think I found the problem with my steering! More a previous owner drunk-driving into a curb failure than anything, but still pretty dramatic. It's the new / old inner tie rods from my Saab 900.

ACEofsnett fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 7, 2011

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

How did this not destroy other things?

I'm not sure. He curbed the rim hard enough to remove a 1/4" deep, 3 inch long section. The tire bead was unaffected. The tie rod is bent slightly when new to clear the rack, so I think it kind of functioned like a fuse in the steering.

Also : the metal parts were carefully placed on the battery solely for the purposes of the photo. Having experienced surprise welding once before, (many years ago) I would not make such a novice mistake again. :science:

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

bolind posted:

What is going on here? What's that cable hanging off the back?

Winch cable from an off camera flatbed?

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Rujo King posted:

See this wouldn't have happened if he'd been diligent in checking his muffler fluid every 3000 miles. Running it dry can throw out the bearing, and if that happens when you're at speed it might punch a hole in the tie-rod sump.

True story, I've seen a young girl attempt to pump gas into an exhaust outlet.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Somewhat related to the tire explosion horror earlier in the thread - I had a balljoint explode on me once. I was blowing out the balljoint pins on a W-body subframe that I had, using an acetylene torch instead of using a drill like a smart person. I superheated the grease by lingering too long and BOOM. Literally the loudest noise I've ever heard. I lost all hearing and staggered around, completely dazed. My dad came out of the office, initially assuming I was dead.

The balljoint had actually flown 24 feet up into the air and dented the metal ceiling in a good 2" deep. So yeah, balljoints can kill you.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

What's wrong with that? You don't always have to have tenders for shorter springs.

My E30 with HR Race has about that much gap in the front at full droop.

I'm running h&r race springs in my e30 as well and I've got nowhere near that much gap at full deflection..

The back, on the other hand.. I can drat near pull the springs out. Reminds me, I should find out why it isn't sitting level in the back one of these days.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

bolind posted:

This thing has been sitting close to my work for a couple of weeks now. I'm kinda wondering if it just landed in that spot, cause I have a hard time seeing it limp there on its own.

Can you just go ahead and pull the S85 from this? (Along with the ECU and associated wiring harness..)

I'll pay shipping.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

I have two failures, one dramatic and one not so dramatic.

This is the passenger's side timing chain tensioner rail from my '86 Toyota 22r. These are infamous for breaking apart and getting sucked up into the oil pump pickup, causing a drop in oil pressure. The chain tensioner is hydraulic, so the loss in tension from a failed guide rail is exacerbated by this. Ugh. Thankfully I caught mine early and replaced it with an upgraded rubber coated steel rail.

This failure is slightly more dramatic. This is what happens when you run a duramax 6.5td completely out of oil. Thanks previous owners of our company van!

(Hosting mine)

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

It made NO NOISE, until the timing belt shredded and wrapped around the crankshaft, locking the engine.

Timing belt held. Still, scared the hell out of me, I was sure when I had it towed that was the end of my reliable little $600 Turbodiesel.

In the midst of dual engine discussion, this really isn't getting enough love. Simply amazing. Was it an aftermarket timing belt? If it was a big name manufacturer, you should submit this to them as a testimonial.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Fucknag posted:

On the other end of the scale, there's a new guy at my shop who torques drain plugs. Like, he has a dedicated 3/8s torque wrench just for the purpose.

Splizwarf posted:

We needed a torque wrench for Casnorf's 944 oil drain plug. IIRC, according to the shop book the motherfucker goes on at something stupid like 145nm, which is way way past Gutentight. v:hitler:v

sharkytm posted:

I'd rather that than him using an impact and stripping it.

I also torque brake caliper mounting bolts.

Although I've never stripped a drain plug, I've seen the results of what happens when "professionals" do. My girl's F22A1 Accord springs to mind. I had to pull the plug and file the mating surface down just to get a new one to seat. Another example, All four bash plate bolts on my hilux were stripped out by quick lube guys, under the care of a previous owner. Massively oversized self tapping plugs exist for a reason.

It may seem illogical, but aluminum oil pans, such as those on 944s or my E30, generally have many times the threads that sheet steel pans do and therefore can take far more torque.

Sharky : Caliper guides or mounting brackets? I can understand torquing caliper guides properly, as they have a tendency to break, but mounting brackets always get loc-tited and cranked down for me. Being cast iron into cast iron with huge bolts, there isn't much worry there.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

My friend bought an E30 at work. I pulled up in mine and opened my door and looked down and saw the plastic trim ring broken in half and had a moment of panic before I realized it was his, and not mine.

Just one set? :smug: :smug:

Mine are still in brand new condition after 8 years of ownership. :smugdog:

If you want to talk about horrible E30 failures, lets talk subframe bushings and center support bearings.

ACEofsnett fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 14, 2012

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Snow + Violent Wheel Hop + Stuck under a trailer + Power Divider = Goodbye U-joint. It was a fun day at work!

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

No. 6 posted:

How expensive is a CNC bit/blade/spinny thingy?

I spent over a decade working for my dad, who owns a cutter grinding business. He is one of the last small shops in New England that resharpens and customizes metal cutting tools of all kinds, mostly carbide endmills for aviation and firearms work. He doesn't make standard, basic endmills anymore, as the profit margins are too small. A standard cheap carbide 1/2" four flute uncoated endmill with no radius is only about $20-30 from a big supplier. However, these companies use so many of them that they pay for resharpening of even the cheapest Chinese made tools, sometimes many, many times. What I'm saying is that they do not encourage the breaking of said tools.

As a sidenote, if anyone has any questions about cutter grinding, customizing and resharpening, I can probably answer them, even though I'm not in the industry anymore.

ACEofsnett fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 10, 2015

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kastein posted:

Same here. I replace em with greasables so I can keep that from happening again.

Here's one I cooked in 2010. Note the bluing, heat cracking on one cap, and melted surface on the trunnions of the cross. Also the shiny spots on the outside of the yoke ears because they were riding on each other. I drove it 100 miles home at 50mph or so like that without realizing how bad it was. I knew it was hosed, which is the only reason I was doing 50 not 80...

Also note the black magnetic dust stuck to the trunnions. That's what was left of the needle bearings, caps, and trunnions. It's magnetic because it was heated above the Curie point by the failure and became magnetized semipermanently by the Earth's magnetic field when it was kept in a stable orientation while cooling below the Curie point again.

The Curie point for steel is 1417 degrees Fahrenheit. (1043K, 770C)

Kastein has already seen these, but this happened to me the other day. I've been ignoring a steadily worsening vibration in my Cherokee for the last year or so, thinking I was going to sell it soon and buy another DD. Well... Don't ignore vibrations. Running late on my way to work, I dared to bring the Jeep up to 75, and this happened.

That's the center of the double cardan in my front Driveshaft, which sheared at 75mph. However, it didn't sieze or break the driveshaft, instead it ran out horribly and dented the floor in a good 1" on both sides of the tunnel. From what Kastein has told me, this is basically impossible without exploding the transfer case. However, after I pulled it out in the parking lot at work, the Jeep no longer vibrates and there's no discernible play in the front output or the front axle input. I'm a lucky bastard. The pics are after I split it by popping the u-joints out. (Which were fine)

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kastein posted:

Probably less than if it had giubos, at least :v:

Guibos on an E30 or E28 aren't really that bad to replace, it's just 6 bolts. Plus they last over 100k miles and... You set this trap just for me and cursedshitbox, didn't you?

Here have a V8 failing at 7k RPM on the dyno. More like a horrible sperg failure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16x5hW0_crM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kastein posted:

I think my favorite Toyota cooling system contraption is the 3VZ-E water neck.

Yeah so it has a timing belt idler pulley MOUNTED AROUND IT, what could possibly go wrong?
Note the two tiny fasteners (they use a threaded stud and a nut, too) that go into it to hold the next piece on. Those would never ever seize into a cast part and snap off, necessitating replacement of the water neck, necessitating loving with the timing over what started as a simple cooling system repair, now would they? :allears:

I'm doing my (last replaced in 1997) timing belt in a few weeks. The timing kit comes with the water neck. I also ordered a set of NPT to BSPT adapters, because as you know all my gauge senders stopped working for no reason, so I'm just threading in electric senders and slapping a few gauges onto the dashboard that I have lying around the shop. Of course, Toyota uses BSPT because reasons. gently caress Toyota. My 8 years of Toyota ownership have been one long mechanical failure.