Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

frozenphil posted:

:v:

I really need to buy one someday when I'm not as poor so I can actually understand what having an alfa or jag would probably be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

bladernr posted:

But that's neither an Alpha nor a Jag... It's a Maserati :ssh:

Well yes I know, but the experience would be roughly the same.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

DELETED posted:

What a mesh

Your comedy is apawling

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I think it's time to condense these puns.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

It would have been okay if he hadn't been pulling high and being pulled low. The truck in front kept the nose down and all the force just found the middle of the frame.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Joe Mama posted:

90's 4.6 and 5.4 are horrible. There are many reasons that spark plug threads take abuse, but these can't take ANY if you want them to last more than 100-150k mi. I've done several of these. The biggest cause of failure is that the person left them in there for 90k or more miles or until they went bad and caused misfires.

I did the plugs in my beater Grand Marquis with 120k on the engine (the first engine exploded after the plastic intake cracked and blew a rod out the side of the block :v: Ford.), and I've done 3 other 90's panthers around or past 100k and never had any problem (other than always breaking at least one coilpack boot). The SOHC is pretty difficult to gently caress up unless you're really unlucky or have never seen aluminum before.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

el topo posted:

Workers are also responsible for their own safety gear. They get paid squat and pro equipment is expensive, so they have to show some ingenuity.

He's going to get a wicked forehead sunburn.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Phy posted:

They were making four-stroke mowers 20 years ago?

They had engines in 1990.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Pipkin posted:

You can still buy them for around $100 but sharpening them costs about that or more when it needs it.

At work we've got a little tiny briggs powered Eclipse reel mower. I got it running last year with about 10 minutes of work. :smug:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Every blown up component of anything at work I toss in a big bin, and on break I just make it into little guys that I hide around the shop. I've probably made about 40 by now in 2 years and they're just starting to notice them everywhere.

This is the only one I brought home because it was the first one I made and I was pretty amused with myself. They generally have arms and halves of washers for eyebrows and other silly things.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Petekill posted:

Why do the Dutch like tractor pulls so much? Seems like half the vids around here I see of tractor pulls are from the Dutch. I thought it was a redneck american thing?

The dutch are considerably more redneck than most rednecks.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

kastein posted:

that's the whole subframe that holds the suspension arms, steering, etc. I think on some cars it may also hold the motor in.

I had a horrible failure last night, but it was more my horrible failure than a mechanical one. Angle grinder vs finger. WEAR THOSE LEATHER GLOVES GUYS, at least it gives you a split second longer before it starts eating tasty flesh.

:gonk: http://i52.tinypic.com/1zei2i8.jpg :gonk: (not safe for squeamish people)

at hostpital, almost lost fingat

e: fixed to not use imagecircus

Heh, I've done that, but hit my fingernail. Even through gloves, that absolute split second is enough time to eat the glove and cut a 1/4" slit into the fingernail and into the nail bed.

The poo poo hurts.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Jesus christ.. If he hadn't locked the front brakes, the damage it could have caused had it gone back the other way down the track would have been absolutely horrific.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

I didn't realize the top shelf of my fridge got this cold. Or that the can would deform that much before it finally failed, normally they pop along the side before anything else happens.

Freeze plugs are SUPPOSED to do that. It's not a mechanical failure at all.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Oxy-acetylene can be loving scary. On top of the leaking and blanketing an area, the hilarious level of power in acetylene it just gets scarier with regulator blowout.

Crack open the oxygen tank main valve quickly with the adjustment screws in working position and all that high pressure oxygen slams into the valve with a tiny little bit of steel shavings or oil and the whole valve can explode.

High pressure oxygen rushes into the valve, heat of recompression heats up a contaminant inside the valve and ignites, regulator turns into a ball of flame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwFRYlJQ6RQ
I've yelled at a lot of people at work for just grabbing the torch and going out to cut something. If you actually use the correct procedure it's not remotely frightening, but watching people just walk up, grab the torch and popping open the valves is.. dumb.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I've always sort of wondered why school busses don't have underride bars.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Cast iron sucks to weld. I've used the Lincoln nickel rods and ferroweld rods on it before. You can do the hot as the sun and keep it that way method or the weld cool and they both work, usually.

Even weird stresses from heat can crack it if you're welding with preheat. Short sections at a time (usually), maintaining even preheat (like 900ish degrees in my experience) and burying it in sand after you're done.

I've only ever tried the preheat version. Cold version and you have to weld in short sections, let it cool, weld again, let it cool etc.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

she sounds hung

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I remember reading that Cougar Ace article about the ship salvage team a while ago. Seems like such an insane, incredible job.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

kastein posted:

this is the one and only reason I own a 15mm flex-head gearwrench.

drat XJs have 4 bolts, too...

This is one of the reasons I buy craftsman wrenches and have a torch and a vise.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Ziploc posted:

Holy poo poo. What if it sucked his hand in??

Yeah, hand anywhere near a runaway detroit is a pretty idiotic thing to do. This is why you keep something large and slightly rubbery nearby.

And also why every single detroit should have the "oh poo poo" lever on it that's designed specifically to stop that.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

So, it sounds like a healthy diesel?

It's pretty impressive it managed to evacuate the bearing all the way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I got a picture text from a coworker of an axle tube snapped in half. Our "needs some love" 7k trailer apparently gave up the ghost on the remaining original axle.

Went over with a jack, torches and some blocks of wood and pulled the axle and drove the bastard home.

The equalizers are not supposed to be vented, or have oblong holes :psyduck: