Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

teh jhey posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et-g4P8SbJQ

Jesus gently caress, this guy must have dropped it into reverse to pull off something like this.
A friend of mine has a NA civic drag car with prelude motor swap, stock block, runs a 12.4. Last time he took it to the track, he mis-shifted. 1st to 2nd to 1st. Over-reved the poo poo out of it, pulled a stoppie, and apparently the engine still runs. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Petekill posted:

In this sort of situation, do they even try to fix the damage to the engine, or is it a "trash it and get a new one" kinda thing?
It'll probably buff right out.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Sockington posted:

250fwhp and a Mazda G-series FWD transmission;

Goodbye 3rd gear and the diff.
Is that from a Mazdaspeed Protege? Mines got a broken diff too. Though, your pics don't look like the typical failure mode of the MSP diff.

I haven't torn mine apart yet.

Edit: This is what i mean by "typical failure mode"

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Over 120 broken, and counting. And that's just the count from the people that post on that forum... for a car that they only made 2500 of. :suicide:

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 19, 2009

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

rscott posted:

how big would an apex seal be on a wankel engine making 4000 HP?
Same as normal, just chain together like 20 rotors.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

ab0z posted:

So you're saying that a normal 2-rotor makes 400hp? Try again.

With boost, it's not unheard of.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

The thing that sucks about reel mowers is if you don't mow often enough and let your grass get too high, it can't cut the higher stuff, rendering it useless. Needless to say I don't mow regularly enough.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

A "High flow" cat after use. Sorry for blurry phone camera pic.

From what I've seen they all fall apart eventually, blocking up exhaust and causing poo poo performance.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Fucknag posted:

Well, I was driving along my merry way today, when upon shifting into second gear and applying throttle, I heard the most horrendous grinding noise coming from my transmission. Engine sounds fine in neutral, so I suspect my tranny may have poo poo the bed. Holding out hope that it's just a bad clutch, but I have a sinking feeling that my car may belong in this thread soon. :smithicide:

This was a while back, and maybe you already found out yourself, but your LSD split in half. It happens to every Mazdaspeed Protege, including mine. I recommend you get an aftermarket replacement from MFactory, cause the quaife's are loving expensive as poo poo.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?64821-LSD-Failure-LIST
Fun fact: I googled "LSD Failure" and that thread is #1 :woop:

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 17, 2010

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Fucknag posted:

Well, the car's owner (who is totally not my mom because that would be the gooniest thing) decided to replace the entire transmission "just to be safe". The tech who did the work took my old one home and plans to crack it open to see what's what, but we both already suspect the diff.

Oh, and I finally fixed an exhaust leak I've been putting off for far two long; the leftmost two bolts on my manifold backed themselves out and left the stage. Pulled the mani, turbo and downpipe out to put in a Corksport downpipe... only to find out that my wastegate won't close all the way. It's not the actuator, the arm retracted fully when I pulled it off the gate lever, and the gate wouldn't seat no matter how I fiddled with it. As far as I know, internal wastegates can't be replaced, so if I want the turbo to spool as quickly as stock (to the mindblowing pressure of 6.5 psi), I'll need to pony up 3 grand for a new turbo. :suicide:

Dude, the wastegate is a freakin metal flap on a hinge. It should be pretty easy to diagnose what is wrong. Either it got bent somehow, or there is some debris/gunk in the way. I would not recommend spending 3k without at least trying to fix it first.

I've even seen someone go so far as to cut off the stock flap, bore out the hole and weld in a bigger flap, in an effort to reduce boost creep. It can be fixed.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Engine shits itself on dyno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUkXriHjQeI

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Remains of a supercharged VQ37VHR from a G37.

Not a lot of details but it sounds like this was due to improper tuning, running lean under boost.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

c355n4 posted:

Is that an acorn?! :psyduck:

I thought it was a tiny pumpkin

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Boat posted:

The water heater rocket worked pretty goddamn good though, and morons replace that overpressure valve all the time, because they're morons. Then all it takes is a broken thermostat..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bU-I2ZiML0

I'm trying to figure out what causes the flash of light on the face of the water heater from the view of it popping at 2:10.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

A car forum posted:

I was driving and minding my business when I hit a small pot hole, and it turned out to be a bigger pot hole after my car drove over it. It went from a 4 inch wide pothole to a 2 foot wide one.. The ground underneath the pothole gave away and f*ck me over.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

It's not my wheel

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

What happens when you build a barbeque grill out of magnesium?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp4ucQCjNvU

Got the link from the Fix it fast thread

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

destructo posted:

:barf:

tubcar.jpg

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Needs reservoir shocks

http://www.fourbyfourclub.com/W463SuspensionParts/W463FoxKit.htm

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Hydrolocked VQ37VHR block from a Nissan 370Z

It was a lot more apparent in person than in the pics, but that left piston is a kinda crooked

Ok after some malleting, we got the piston out

Bonus rusty gross cylinder

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

some texas redneck posted:

Did they leave it for a month or some poo poo?
Not 100% sure but yeah I think this motor has been sitting at a dealership for a while. It will eventually be rebuilt and put in a race car(probably).

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

The Scientist posted:

How fast would this engine have been revving to have caused this? Also, you guys gonna sleeve that one cylinder?
I don't think it takes much rpm to cause damage when you are talking hydrolock, but I'm not really an expert on engine carnage. I'm just a software developer that works in a car shop, heh. We aren't doing the engine rebuild here either. The engine is being loaned to us so we can do a little research regarding valve clearances with the VVEL valvetrain. I would assume they would bore and sleeve it though as the cylinder walls are a bit nicked up.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What's the story here? Are you an embedded developer doing ecu stuff or something else?
Yeah I develop reflash software for factory ECUs. I'd consider it more reverse engineering than embedded development. I also develop the desktop applications that allow end users to tweak their tune.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Z3n posted:

More leading edges means better initial bite on your pads! :buddy:

Extreme slotted rotors

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

thelightguy posted:

You mean hydrofluoric acid, the stuff that penetrates your skin without a mark and then eats your bones? :psyduck: Yes, you should probably wear gloves.
Also don't forget that it's one of the few acids that will dissolve glass. :staredog:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

20 bucks. I might be paranoid as gently caress but I refuse to use scissor jacks. They scare the poo poo out of me for exactly that reason.
I hope you guys use jackstands. I don't get under a car unless it's on stands. Don't rely on any jack to hold a lifted car stably.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

What's wrong with blind rivets? Commonly used to hold aircraft together.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Beanbox posted:

and hes runs over it.. amazing

and hes replies to a post on the first page of a 143 page thread.. amazing

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is that a 3/8" to 1/4" drive adapter? I have effortlessly broken one of those with a small socket wrench.

No breaker bar or hulking roid rage needed, 1/4" is some weakass poo poo.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

law abiding rapist posted:

Clearly we need to start making cars out of palm trees, it's barely got a scratch.

carbon-based fiber :smugdog:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

How about just find an old aircooled beetle magnesium block and start it on fire while the engine's running.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Root Bear posted:

:stare:

Found with this article. That's one lucky kid. At least until his dad finds out :argh:

I can't stop hearing the General Lee horn in my head when I look at this pic.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I don't know anything about steel mills or what is going on here, but :stare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shhW23XMsJc&feature=related#t=6m0s

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

oops

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Kill-9 posted:

Done exactly that with a Harbor Freight vice trying to press in bushings. *CRACK*

Yeah the guy was trying to press in some kind of u joint bushings. I don't know 100% if its harbor freight or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. He got an actual hydraulic press after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

There was a bit of play on this impeller shaft