Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
no, its sucking in oil which happens when the crankcase is overfilled. the oil ignites on the compression stroke, like diesel, and so the engine keeps running. there really is no way to kill it other than running into a wall or dropping it into 5th if you have a manual. The awesome part is, the engine will keep going faster and faster until it kills itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

orange lime posted:

Couldn't you just get under the car and drain the oil?

I suppose you could, but you'd need to have tools with you and also be willing to get under an engine that is about to grenade itself...

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

meltie posted:

That's a really pretty job.

yeah, but then they bolt that horrible looking diff on there :( If you're going to spend fat wads of cash, at least do it right.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I don't think you need to be secretive...doesn't that fall under salvage?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
they are, but replacing parts of the rotating assembly without rebalancing=bad things.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
holy poo poo. the diff broke off the Power Plant Frame?! how much power were you making?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

N183CS posted:

The barn actually belongs to our neighbor, we were just renting space in it. He thinks his homeowners insurance will cover the damage since it should cover everything inside as well.

Good lord it would suck to be that guy if the insurance didn't cover it.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

trouser chili posted:

Ppfffffff. Carb cleaner, acetone, toluene, and aircraft remover should all be stocked.

what on earth is aircraft remover?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

revmoo posted:

This is an awesome idea.

Better yet, raise the driven axle off the ground, and really rev the engine for maximum destruction.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Well that can't be good....

Oh, hello there...

Does this explain the no-start condition?

Probably, yes.

Clutch kit is on the way, gotta scavenge some new sensors.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Found the problem.

Frank Dillinger fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 29, 2013

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Whoops, that's better? I dunno, all looks the same when you're phone postin'

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Brain Issues posted:

Engines don't normally have water shooting out of cylinders do they??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwiI7YAwPTM

Hahaha, had a used engine that I was going to swap with a dead one that did something like this, but with engine oil. Left a huge black spot on the ceiling =/

Guess if be posting a series of better pics if I hadn't checked the compression and emptied the cylinders of oil first.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Doesn't hurt that A8s are all-aluminium. I'm curious how much more expensive to insure that makes them, seeing as how it's so much harder to fix properly.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Wasabi the J posted:

quoting this for future updates.

Seriously though, find that bit. I almost ended up with a wrench grenading my fan after I installed a shiny new radiator; luckily, I forced myself to do anal-retentive tool clean-up before finishing the project, so I realized I was missing it pretty quick.

An ex co-worker of mine once lost a ratchet (I think). He screamed about how he could not trust anyone, someone was stealing his poo poo, etc. a week later, a car he had worked on came in on a flatbed, steering was locked up. Jammed in the steering of that vehicle was the ratchet.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

joat mon posted:

His picture looks like the passenger side bank of the 2.8l V6 which is an interference engine.
The 5-cylinder gas engines were non-interference but weren't available in 97(?)

http://raauto.com/pages/timing%20belt%20replacement%20guide.pdf

The five cylinders may or may not be interference, the 20v turbo definitely is.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Wasabi the J posted:

Brakleen on the alternator/AC compressor.

what does brakleen on the Alternator or AC compressor accomplish?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
l

It's nota great pic, but it's a hairy spider of some kind trapped in the instrument cluster of a brand new Mercedes. Made for a pretty good warranty claim story.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

SouthsideSaint posted:

A lot of the mechanics I know take the batteries out of these to help make them last longer.

hahaha, lol, awesome. buy a 700 dollar torque wrench, have to take the batteries out to keep it from dying. gently caress that noise.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Sappo569 posted:

MY2012 was that strange period between their old look and their new look, the interiors were still pretty lackluster. They did a face lift on the exterior but didn't really touch the interiors much

I think it was MY2014 where they re-did the whole interior and exterior, which is what you see now with the LED headlamps and side markers. It seems they've taken styling from the S class and spread it across the board. Even the C class interior looks and feels way nicer than it's price point would allow.

The new C-class (w205) has a nicer looking interior, granted, but everything inside feels cheaper and less solid.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Crosspost from the AC thread...

I know that conversions are expensive, but it seems like now would be the time to convert this thing to R134A, wouldn't it?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Its a flex-coupling. Dampens vibes and allows like 5-15 degrees of movement.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

BlackMK4 posted:

At least BMW doesn't use goddamn torx or hex bolts to fasten the DS to the diff or transmission. Whomever thought of that needs to die. (gently caress you, Honda)

Torx is awesome, only triple-square is better.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I really wonder what a V6 running on two cylinders would sound like.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
:dong:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Preoptopus posted:

sparkle sparkle oil pan,
the new guy changed some oil again

Wait, so he's destroyed two cars now? drat, maybe he should look for a new line of work.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah but then some broad gets on with a staticy sweater and it's all "oooh the humanity!"

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

West SAAB Story posted:

Just wait until you find Scotty Kilmer.

Ugh, that man makes me so mad. I think he's subtly trolling car people, it's the only explanation.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Current (personal) fleet sits at 23 cylinders over 3 cars. BMW 850Ci, Audi Urs4, Datsun 240Z. I've never owned a car where everything works or obd2 is a thing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Darkplace is the greatest art ever created.

In this video, we learn about cell balancing and why not to charge a suspect electric car with a hobbyhacked battery setup inside an enclosed garage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdDi1haA71Q

The cells melted into the driveway are impressive.

Kinda curious what actually happened, but the video is more of a "rubbernecker on the highway" approach than a "let's explain science" one.

I like the individual cells shooting into the air like rockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Zopotantor posted:

I was told in the army (Germany, 30+ years ago) that the Russians used 7.62 so that they could use NATO 7.62 rounds they picked up, but that their own rounds had some feature (changed grooves or similar) that made them unusable in our guns (G3, at the time). I have no idea if that was true, but I always thought it was stupid to let that happen.

The Russian 7.62x25 caliber pistols can fire German 7.63x25 Mauser ammo, but not the other way around (ww2 era) I’ve never heard of interchangeability between 7.62 nato and any other Russian calibers.