Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Kill-9 posted:

Also, in the States that would be called the LR2 like the Disco3 is an LR3/LR4. Yes, lame names.
They ditched the Disco nameplate specifically to distance the new car from the reputation of the old one, which is pretty damning.

Lilbeefer posted:

And you miss out on the 3.0 TDV6 in both LR and Jag.
Take it you don't get the Range Rover TDV8 either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

Basically the extra load put on the upright from our ball joint extenders caused the upright to crack and the ball joint to come out, in the middle of a 120mph corner.

Could have been a lot worse.
Yeah, that was a pretty light off you had, considering.

I had to Google the ball joint extenders and, yep, they are what I thought they were. Makes me cringe a bit. Doesn't anyone sell a custom front upright assembly to correct the geometry instead?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

yeah for the 2k the msi parts cost I'd rather design and have them made myself. I can incorporate the right mounting for our stoptechs among some other things. I'd also do a set of custom control arms to go along with them.
If you know a couple of people who want a set themselves, you're not far off just buying an old CNC milling machine and having at it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sockington posted:

Guessing a bike of some sort judging by the '750' on the valve cover
Oh, you Americans. :allears:

Yeah, it's going to be a bike engine, but over here it's not that long since you really could buy a proper, five (small) seat hatchback with a 750cc engine. Both my aunt and one of the guys I was in sixth form with had a Fiat Panda 750, and that wasn't the least powerful one they built.

Hell, the 126, in a mighty, upgraded, 700cc form, only stopped rolling out the Polish factory in 2000.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sockington posted:

Oh, and :canada: you redcoat.
Oops :ohdear:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Oh god, that is horrid I would NEVER go into a component of the engine without someone nearby who knows I was doing maintenance
This is exactly why you lock stuff off before doing maintenance on it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Once he gets the other three wheels done, though, it's going to look so stanced, dude.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I quite fancy hitting everyone involved around the back of the head with my copy of the REME Recovery Manual. Jesus Christ, that was an appalling level of stupidity.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Teenager.

Litrebike.

157mph.

Concrete.

By some miracle, no death.

http://jalopnik.com/5721263/this-is-what-happens-when-you-crash-a-motorcycle-at-157-mph

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mutt2jeff posted:

Driving like a loving idiot, while dumb, is not mechanical failure.
Half the content of this thread is more attributable to someone doing something stupid, though, and we don't have a general mechanical carnage thread.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wallaka posted:

That would probably work if your diff and transmission ratio was 1:1. Otherwise...not so much.
With a .78:1 fifth and a 2.90* final drive, it'd work for an awful lot of people.

*For the US, you might even get away with 4.44s. And possibly leaving it in third.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NoWake posted:

Replaced a squealing CV joint and gained a nifty desk toy!

I caught it before anything catastrophic happened, but it had gone through some serious heat. The first quarter inch of the outside of the stub axle was annealed along with the inside of this bearing.

Hah, I do that too. My dad's old master cylinder (rusted to buggery inside) is my paperweight, and I've got an XR4X4 front diff in the garage I'm intending to use as a bookend.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ApathyGifted posted:

"We don't run the tunnel more than about 6 seconds at a time because otherwise you start sucking the air out of the building." (Same wind tunnel.)
Wonder how many postdocs they asphyxiated before figuring it out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm just waiting to see who the first person to finally break down and start doing hoop stress calculations is.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Lilbeefer posted:

Didn't know where to paste it so I thought I'd put it here, because even though it is just an "easy" way to access the entire engine, most of you probably class the Disco 3/4 as a horrible mechanical failure.

I am in Sales so I can't comment on what a pain in the arse it is to work on these things, except to say I see this a few times per week, and it takes 4 or so hours to do.

The techs complain far more about the cars then the customers do, obviously. In case you didn't know, the LR3/4 has both a monocoque and a frame chassis.
I showed this to a guy at work (who used to run some of the body-in-white for the Disco 3), and his reaction was one of general :psyduck:. Apparently he never really thought about the idea of someone taking the body/chassis unit apart after it was assembled.

I should probably ask him for a specific name to which your techs can address their "You, sir, are a right bleeding bastard" letters. Though 4 hours for a body/chassis split really doesn't sound bad to me, quite quick, in fact, given that it's a "carefully separate to do work" job rather than a "rip it off and throw it away" one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I share your pain. I've got a car that was in a collapsed barn. The barn collapsed because it seemed like the best option at the time, given it was on fire. Yeah, that paint's going to need more than a bit of compound :smith:.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Third Man posted:

But what could kick something up hard enough to punch through, what, a 1/4" of steel?
More like 1/16", and even that'd be pretty thick. Might be nearer 1/4" if it's aluminium, but then it'd crack rather than bend anyway.

Besides, if you've got a ton-and-a-half of car moving at reasonable speed and a lump of kerbstone etc sticking out that can almost be considered immovable, you're going to royally gently caress up anything that doesn't have a seriously heavy-duty bashplate under there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Courtesy of one of my engineering friends:

"The wheel failure happened many years ago, at sandy, on an intercity train from kings cross.

The axle failure happened near melton Mowbray at speed, and made a mess of a couple of miles of track. Strangely the media managed to not pick up on this story, they just listed it as a broken down train."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

So what do you do in that situation? Wait for a service crew to fix it?

Rig the train horn to play Dixie, then yell yee-hah and floor it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sponge! posted:

Asphalt is a superfluid of sorts... Maybe non-newtonian is a better term, basically its just a really stiff liquid/colloid.

:science: Thixotropic!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Whatever you do to get them clean again, it looks like you're a good candidate for a coating of plasti-dip or some form of vinyl wrap.

If you do actually end up getting them stripped down completely, see if anyone does a hard, slick coating to refinish them in - the only problem being that such things are often a bit drat pricey.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Splizwarf posted:

Side question: I never understood why it works to dump stuff like sand or boron from a helicopter but not to just throw it into a fire from a ground vehicle. We certainly have road-drivable stuff that can toss particulate solids pretty far, and the helicopter dumping solution is usually touted as really dangerous.
I'd say it's because you can dump the whole load at once, rather than a constant flow, which stands a better chance of asphyxiating the fire.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cushy posted:

Also, every part should have a bar code, and/or an RFID tag.
Machine-readable 2D data matrix marking is pretty common, especially for aerospace parts, where you are concerned with lifetime traceability back to source.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Phangor posted:

What starts with F and ends in UCK?

Firetruck!
That must have made quite an impressive noise.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"I'm sure we can port it out a bit more, pass that die grinder over here"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

got a shaft made locally in 18 hours.
Hahaha, oh Christ, that's going to show a blip in your tooling maintenance expenditure.

Not so much a horrible mechanical failure as a decision process one, I've seen someone insist that they only need three $5 components, regardless of things like minimum order values, batch setup charges and fast-tracking premiums. So that'll be $2,400 to you, squire, sign on the dotted...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Wiglaf posted:

But really a turbo could cause the same issues just from typical bearing leakage.
Accidentally doing it in the glorious pursuit of more grunt is one thing, forcing an innocent engine to sniff its own farts is quite another.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ola posted:

Yeah I'm curious about this myself. Unless "remote filter" means spraying the oil out, filtering it through national park soil and the fur of squirrels and then sucking it back up again.
Now, were I to give you the choice between that and a FRAM filter...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ola posted:

Probably posted before somewhere, but a very nice vide of a serious engineer talking about a very serious subject. Also a tip of the hat to Ducati.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cbjqj5Kidk
Bob Gayler, formerly of Piper Cams, I believe.

Not so much what Brit sports coverage was like back in the day, but not far off Top Gear of the same era...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Revolvyerom posted:

The highlight of hazmat training was being told that in the case of invisible deadly gases that can be blown around by winds (chlorine tank rupture), try to stay away from the areas that birds are falling out of the sky.
Even in these enlightened times, a coroner's report noting "Cranial impact by bertholite-afflicted seagull" still causes amusement.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

monkeytennis posted:

Yep, if there's time to lean, there's time to clean.
The good thing with a night shift is that as long as the teamleader's reasonable, it's pretty slack without anyone trying to look like they're important breathing down your neck.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

I think it's disingenuous to post something that you've seen broadcast on a mainstream site without giving some reference or credit. It's not like "hey, look at this wheel that rolled into my shop" when it's a grab-and-post from reddit. Just like stealing stories straight from Autoblog.
Everyone else follows Reddit so I don't have to.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

dissss posted:

Quote from my friends mother after running their Renault 21 out of coolant - "But its a European car and they don't have radiators, only Japanese cars do"
It's a Renault. Cooling system was designed by MC Escher on a bad day to start with. "Overheating and broke" is a base state of being.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it's running some kind of air or hydraulic suspension, could a line have been ripped out by grounding?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13537084

:gonk:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I've had aluminium caps seize onto the valves so badly I had to cut them off. They probably tried using a spanner to undo it, and that's what's made it that shape. A Dremel cut along the side and some levering with a flat screwdriver might have gor it off without trashing the assembly, but there's no way to tell now.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Why were your folks so hardcore about fenders?
Parents have little to no understanding of what is currently Down With The Kids. My current commuter bike is the first bike I've run full mudguards on, and I appreciate having them, but no way would I have set it up like that when I was a teenager.

Saying that, idiot kids when I was at school took the piss if you wore a helmet. Usual response was "I've pulled 45mph on an MTB before, and if you hit something without a helmet, you're hosed".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

EightBit posted:

The car was already toast, the oil rings were probably gone, hence the immediate smoking. Don't get your panties in a wad.
It wasn't smoking before he put his horrible bad juju fluid in it, and it started immediately afterwards, it's obvious he is at fault, and as my client, I'll ensure that his employers pay for you to get a new engine, if not a new car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Reposting from the "change your goddamn timing belt" thread:

This is a very nice version of what happens when you ignore a timing belt:

My cousin's Isuzu. Haven't actually talked to her about it but I'm 99% certain it was a timing belt failure, and I'm pretty drat sure it only actually has eight valves. Haven't seen how the head and pistons look, either.
You've been struck by a smooth criminal piston crown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GWBBQ posted:

If it was a pothole, especially a newly formed one, check and see if local law holds the town/city accountable for damage caused.
Isn't it the other way round? If it's been there a while and they've been previously notified about it, then they're liable?