Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

DELETED posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI_gNQLmTM0

Are you joking? Are you joking?

My parents are gonna be so pissed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

That's pretty frightening. So, I guess this isn't exactly a car question but what's up with the camera in that? It looks like someone is recording a projection of another video on a waving screen.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I like to think that it's been established so far in this thread that while it's extra cool if it's part of a vehicle gone :psyduck:, what we're all really here for is to see anything spectacularly broken. Anything. Please, do continue.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah I'm starting to miss the point.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Are you trying to reverse-flow the trend?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Prelude Gundam posted:

All I can see is Future Jackolantern, Jackolantern of the Future.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Sexual Lorax posted:

Whenever I see pictures like that, I imagine tiny people working on a normal size engine, all covered in oil and swearing at each other in high squeaky voices.

Moties.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

drzrma posted:

The problem with both of those is that the propeller and the main engine/turbine are basically directly linked, there is no neutral, you don't get reverse until you bring everything to a halt so you can get it moving in the other direction. Shaft brakes are the solution to this

This is where you slam it into reverse right away and then the shaft is broken amiright? :downsrim:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Even a 20" half full of water would weigh like 18 tonnes? you'd need a pretty big boat to contemplate it, unless you just wanted to tow it back to port & borrow a crane there. Then you open it & find 25 Chinese bodies, not the 1908 Jag you were hoping for.

It'd be kinda fun if money were no object, just playing gigantic ocean lucky-dip. Get boring soon?

It seems like there's some obvious solution that involves an air pump and the industrial equivalent of an inflatable raft but I can't put my finger on it.

orange lime posted:

Why is he trying to push it back out? loving DHS. :argh:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

orange lime posted:

I thought about this, but I dunno if crates are airtight enough. I'd bet that all the air would rather just leak out cracks near the doors or something.

You might be able to use something like this:

(sorry about the Chinese watermark)

Zodiac pontoons. Take two of those bad boys (deflated), sink one under the container on each end, lash them to it, and blow them up. Presumably the water would drain out however it got in.

This is what I was thinking of! And use a big version of the blow-up wedge that the pros use to crank open your door when you locked your keys in the car to force the doors to bend open and let the water out faster without just opening the whole side of the crate. Drilling is a lot of :effort:

Also, gently caress waiting to see what's in there until it's drained. Boroscope and a good light in through the wedged part before we even start putting real work into it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Eh, I understand it saves money, I just don't think that bad design is something that should ever be excused. I hate balance shafts, I really do, and putting them in I-4's is even worse as they shouldn't need them at all.

Yeah those Porsche guys especially, when will they learn how to build cars.

I was under the impression that balance shafts aren't just for compensating for a builder- or design-created imbalance across the crank and rods, they create an opposite wave pattern that cancels the resonance of the crank. Engines without balance shafts don't need them not because their rotating mass is built "better" but because the crank's vibration is being compensated for another way, perhaps with a harmonic balancer, a reduced redline or simply being overbuilt and letting the bulk damp it.

e: nevermind, realized who I was arguing with :jerkbag:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

orange lime posted:

Checked out that Wikipedia page. This photo is a joke, right?

The new Camaro is hideous in this particular way as well. The engine bay is a giant Lean Cuisine meal.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

el topo posted:

Those things are probably there to route the air a certain way so as to maximize cooling. A bit like how a computer runs cooler if you keep the case closed.

This. The explanation I've always believed is that the extra expense of that sort of plastic shielding was justified by engineers being convincing about how much more they could micro-manage what happened where with air and heat versus just a swirling underhood airstorm. That poo poo under there isn't free; somebody had to convince bean-counters it was a good idea, and it's all over engine bays from this decade.

Raluek posted:

I think the consensus from the last time this was brought up was that it was for pedestrian impact safety. Some crap like hitting the hood would be less damaging if it has plastic bullshit under it or something.

This seems... questionable.

And goofy.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Flyboy925 posted:

I think he was talking about the sheared off bolts that hold the wheel that was there on.

Unless your conversation just went over my head.

I too saw it as the loneliest wheelstud, left behind when everybody else went out to party at the bottom of a mountain. Poor guy.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

ozziegt posted:

Yeah I thought they just removed the wheels to do a visual inspection, I don't think they actually remove the calipers.

A stack of feeler gauges between the pad backing and the rotor. Don't need to take the wheel off if you're lucky.

Sponge!, where do you live? That inspection process sucks.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Blocko posted:

Clearly there needs to be a resurgence of woodgas technology.

Holy poo poo.

Needs a door so you can smoke moose in it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

You Am I posted:

War of the Worlds

Mars Attacks!

e: wait those were cows

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

ijustam posted:

I secretly like to think it was the car that was detailed heavily, by that guy that charges $12,000, in another thread.

Not reading the thread is getting to be a real problem for you, isn't it? That was this thread, on the previous page.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

grover posted:

It's great not just for the architectural design, but also the engineering breakthroughs that went into the cantilevered beams. Truly revolutionary stuff.

The breakthroughs were achieved by the people who came after him and had to clean up his horrible messes when he tried to work "outside the box", FLW had no engineering backround and said things like "It will look like this and this is how you will make it look like this AND BY GOD IF YOU KEEP COMING IN HERE AND TELLING ME HOW IT CAN'T BE DONE YOU ARE loving FIRED!" The stories of the things that were invented to repair Falling Water as it disintegrated are pretty amazing; the house certainly belongs in this thread.

Dude had an amazing eye and I love a lot of it but what a jackass.

Also, when I visited Chicago I was totally loving jazzed to visit Robie House because I had fallen madly, stupidly in love with it and wanted to kidnap it and live in it forever, or at least take the tour and dream about it. Imagine my surprise to find out that whoever's preserving it has converted more than 50% of the interior area to a gift shop. I didn't even go in, it was like a kick in the stomach. Imagine having a huge boner for Mount Rushmore and finding out when you get there that there's only Washington and three heads constantly cycling the faces of moderately-famous pop stars from the mid-'90s.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

BigKOfJustice posted:

There's people like that. My dentist told me stories of people mistaking his Ferrari for "One of those new mustangs :haw:"

:ughh:

Does he thank you at the end of each conversation for helping to pay for it?

:rimshot:

I hate my dentist.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

InitialDave posted:

If I was an NDT guy, I'd be so tempted to get one of those UV tattoos...

please explain :allears:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Johnny Threadshitter posted:

:pseudo::words:

Isn't this the same argument delicate set of nuanced points and counterpoints that ruined the pages following the last time this roof-invading train chunk was posted?

LET'S GET BACK TO BUSINESS

Tire burst on takeoff and ruptured the fuel tank.

This was a Mazda 3. Driver lived.

Apparently the truck rammed everything else together.

It's some kind of failure.

"I guess this caliper got stuck."

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I've got much bigger pictures if anyone wants them.

yessssssss

His vehicle is a guardrail pasta maker.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Can't remember if I posted this here or in Photos From The Road; gently caress it, it's a current topic after all.

A Mazda3 IIRC and a pair of semis, driver lived. :drat:

I'm figuring "Was my daily driver, selling because too many cars now. Body mostly straight, engine just needs some TLC. Minor interior/exterior damage, normal for a car of this age/mileage."

e: "Needs airbag."

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 17, 2010

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's a timeless warning to others.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
"My radio keeps getting quieter and quieter, what the hell. I need you to fix my radio."

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

bird cooch posted:

not a good place for metal

I love this thread so much.

Also you have my condolences, bird cooch.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

that is seriously disturbing.

but i can't help wanting to know...scavenge air receiver? does that mean the 2-stroke transfer ports?

I blew up the photo and it's the air chamber on the exit side of the scavenging operation. Reads like he was knocked out/killed by fumes before he could have been pressurized/burned.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

InitialDave posted:

This is exactly why you lock stuff off before doing maintenance on it.

It is sort of surprising there wasn't a lockout device for an "easily moved hinged / inward-opening" door that's able to lock itself shut. I bet there is now!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Revolvyerom posted:

You had train tracks running through your parking lot? :aaa:

Could be local movement tracks, like from one building to another.

ApathyGifted, the one about sucking all the air out of the building had me in tears.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
This just got pretty meta.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It will be.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

I bet this fucker lives in that Shithole Vale and attacks Soda and Potato Chip trucks.

It's really just Nutcup crushing your precious sodas in his rippling rear end.

Imagine this car is a heavily laden pressurized comestibles hauler, see, and then

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Then it'll scurry out of the way when you throw the can and bare its teeth at you.

e: wait I'm thinking of a cat.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

grover posted:

They never fail from hoop stresses; the weak spot is the pop-top.

Pressure from freezing generally just blows the bottom out convex, which would decrease internal pressures dramatically, I'd think, and most likely be the worst damage.

I regularly forget to put sodas in the fridge ahead of time, and find myself cleaning the freezer pretty often. They fail at just about every point I can think of. The most fun cleanup is when one tears all the way down the long way. The bottoms don't pop that often, actually.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

EightBit posted:

CRT tv's may "work" for 20 years, but the picture gets so dim over such a period (unless you bought one with some ungodly amount of getters in the tube) that it becomes very difficult to watch.

Hold on now, that depends a lot on if you're watching ten hours a day or ten hours a week. :colbert:

Don't ask about my computer monitor.

... I went looking for something relevant and this becomes fascinating at about 51 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKnMJrAKp-o&feature=related

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Skyssx posted:

loving balls! At least in IT you never have to deal with biological material.

This seems... optimistic. :colbert:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Looks like a diagram of a strap wrench in the big version of the photo.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I consider burnouts that end in carnage to be good thread material. If nothing's ruined, then yeah, keep that feelgood poo poo out of here. :v:

\/\/\/ I do sort of wish the thread title was "Post Cool/Funny Ruined Stuff" but that doesn't have the same wonderful ring to it. \/\/\/

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That's pretty poignant. A tip of the iceberg photo; "Oh, he put a hole in... oh." :(