Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

99% of diesels these days feed their Positive Crankcase Ventilation back into the intake manifold. So if you overfill them they will happily run on their crank oil.

Holden had an issue with their 3.0TD motor in the jackaroos in australia with the Cat HEUI injectors- they were leaking and thinning out the engine oil with diesel, eventually getting it so thin it would go straight past the turbo seals and destroying the motor.

My grandfather used to be a diesel mechanic, and had two run-aways on the test bed.

One was a big Cat from a grader which started to eat its own oil- they threw a pair of overalls over the air intake (balled up) and it ate them. They just ran out of the shed and listened as it threw a few legs out of the bed.

The second one was when the fuel pumps govenor broke on a big Komutsu diesel, and that thing went off its tits. Engine normally governed to 2300rpm revving at 6000+. Fixed that one by taking to the fuel pipes with a fire axe and severing them from the pump!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Slung Blade posted:

How on earth is this possible? There are perfectly fine teeth (except for that groove) in between totally destroyed teeth.

:psyduck:

I managed to do this to a toyota R151F transmission by putting my foot down in 5th gear!

Found all my teeth though! :D

And dad did this to his Transfer case on the Prado- did a sand dune in low range and tore the planetary assembly apart!

And thats the rest of it...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

there are just a few gears missing there in that diff!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Sponge! posted:

The wheels also seemed to come off too easy, and too flat...

I'm calling Potemkin Pickup on that.

Landcruiser 75/79 series ute, probably so drat rusty it couldnt leave site.

You wouldnt see the engine either- that would be pressed down into the surface of the pit road- those things have HUGE ground pressure on those tyres because of their weight.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

what the hell did that?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

NoWake posted:

Replaced a squealing CV joint and gained a nifty desk toy!

I caught it before anything catastrophic happened, but it had gone through some serious heat. The first quarter inch of the outside of the stub axle was annealed along with the inside of this bearing.

funny thing is, Ive seen heat treated Offroading CV's that look exactly like this after manufacturing.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

i had a can of Cambells soup detonate in my bag on a flight from melbourne to Adelaide- Little Focker shitbox plane thing, we went up to about 9-10,000 feet and the fucker exploded all through my fire gear.

Flight Adelaide to Melbourne (for the big fires) was fine because we were in a real aircraft (Boeing 767), not a little buzz box that we had to have luggage on the seat to balance the bloody thing so it could take off!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

We can get those scrub knives in Australia too- Looks like they do one hell of a job on blackberrys tho from that photo! Might have to invest in one or two for work!

Im currently tearing down a 1HD-T motor from a 92 toyota landcruiser thats had a big end bearing delaminate. Will see what i get from that and whether much is damaged.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Im stripping the bottom end of my mates 1HD-T powered 80 series landcruiser (4.2L turbo diesel inline 6) after its big end bearings self destructed.

Got the sump off tonight, Found this:

:aaa:

Bit of snot on the filter, but nothing higher.

Lot of metal there...

Tomorrow, i'll get a socket to suit those wierd arse bolts (what are they? Triple squares?) and see what the bearings themselves look like!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Further to my Big end adventures. Got em out today.

I recon you could describe these as "Stuffed"

#1 #2 #3

#4 #5 #6

its lightly scored teh crank on #2, but not in a big way, so we're going to try a technique used in Sprint Cars many moons back- Throw a set of standard bearings in, Run em for 10K kms, let em scrape the crank smooth again, Rip em out, throw em away and replace them with a new set and keep an eye on the motor.

Might work, Or i might be back into the bottom end in 20K kms cos its got a knock again!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

What do you do once you reach that stage with a 2JZ? Isnt the next step a 1FZ block?

I think my mates car is still not happy... This is the motor those dead bearings came out of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGkEmYbs6Lk

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

So just how much lead do you have to throw on a tyre to balance it if you have that hunk of crap stuck in one spot? I'm used to 100+ grams to balance 4wd tyres, but they would have to weigh a bit on their own?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Crossposting from the "Hot chick car thread"

the forces to bend those trailing arms on the front diff... those are 1" thick forged steel!

Not to mention the chassis its attatched too!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Nissan patrols get that too- The GU series in particular.

Nissan, in their infinate wisdom, put the wheel bearings on the stub axles unusually close together, so ANY looseness in them essentially makes your hub wobble on the axle, which goes into the steering, which goes into you, and makes you defecate into your pants.

The landcruisers are about twice the distance and can have SHOCKINGLY sloppy bearing tolerances and not suffer the same problem.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

More, you say?

From a last Gen Landcruiser, I believe. Don't remember where I found these...they've been hanging out in a picture folder.

Thats not the first time i've seen that kind of failure on a 100 series cruiser front diff.... This was what was left of my mates when he exploded it.

Blew ut up offroad, had to drive it out to a main road for a tow, so just removed the front driveshaft and drove it until the front diff stopped making crunchy noises!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I can remember doing environmental sampling in the old Mitsubishi factory in Adelaide a few years ago and seeing them getting the old dies out for the Magna's to make a stack more panels before they shut up shop- same with the 380's.

Thats was a depressing place- the whole assembly section was shut down and cleared out and it was only the press shop and basic assembly shops still working, but everyone knew they were only on borrowed time at that stage.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Australians arent allowed to do their own A/C work, or LPG work, Or home electrical work...

Im just glad ive got a mate whos an A/C repairer because I get discounted work, otherwise its $150+ just for a regas.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Amusingly my 3 tonne landcruiser is the same rego as a commodore station wagon- 6cyl station wagon. It's still ~$800 a year tho, that's rego and compulsory 3rd party bodily injury insurance combined.

My old red hilux was ~$1000 a year last renewal because it's considered a "commercial vehicle" because of the tray on it. It's never carried a commercial load in its life, but you cant not pay the extra even if you remove the tray!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

obso posted:

Because it was less than a mile down the road. It was a single car accident and they only had liability so no one's getting defrauded. If I didn't think the engine would rip my samurai in half I'd keep it.

There IS a guy in Australia who wedged a Lexus 1UZ-FE 4.0L V8 into a Suzuki Sierra (same as the Samurai) with Toyota Hilux Axles under it...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Less a mechanical failure, More a Mechanics failure. Im upgrading the speakers and stereo in my mates hilux and pulled the door skins to find these...

Thats TWO MDF spacers, both the wrong size for the speaker, and 3" long sheet metal screws straight into the door sheetmetal holding that speaker in!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Forgot to mention that- theres only 3 out of 4 screws holding the thing in.

Surprisingly, both speaker and window worked! the speakers were CDT Audio 6.5" Coaxials, but theyre 2.5" deep which wouldnt fit with the existing door trims if they were actually mounted properly...

Took a bit of thinking, but this is how the new speakers ended up being mounted up

At least they are sealed against the door metal!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Das Volk posted:

No. But this was!

This was on the 190E 2.3-16 where the tard that owned it had completely removed the plastic water barrier in order to install his tyte stereo. I'm a bit disappointed I can't find the pic of the giant pile of redundant cables from multiple stereo installs.

Holy poo poo thats an effort and a half- Thats not a factory hole in the steel is it?

Ive cut and tweaked a few mm here and there of internal door steel to stop big speakers touching when they are jammed where they shouldnt, but thats going a few steps too far!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Got a call from my workmates on friday last week saying "we were winching in, stopped to rest the winch, then it wouldnt go again- solenoids were clicking but it wasnt going back or forwards!"

Winch is an old Warn M10,000

Checked it out today- Got power to the field terminals when the solenoids were energised, everything is going right, but the motor still wont turn!

So pulled the winch out of the bar and cracked open the motor.

And all this crap fell out!

Tried to work out WTF it was, so I pulled the armature.

Oh- Thats not good...

Well that explains the chunky bits I found- they were the brushes!

Ive never seen this before- theres nothing else in the motor assembly thats loose- so its not like a wayward chunk of metal bent the armature up like that- its the brushes that have done that!:psyduck:

Looks like we're up for a new motor

And in OTHER news...

Mates 2006 Subaru Liberty 3.0R (Legacy in the US)died last night- horrid nose, no power steering, no alternator.

Cold hard light of day revealed:

And the best bits- Dealing with Subaru Australia...

He's in Adelaide with me for reference.

The chewed up bracket: $220 and has to come from Sydney
The Idler pulley: $107, In stock in Adelaide
The belt: $61, from Melbourne
The bolt and washer: $4.50ea from JAPAN

Chasing wreckers now, but unfortunately the EZ30 motors nowhere near as common as the 4 cylinder motors!

Ferremit fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 2, 2012

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

yeah, Brackets completely munted- its chewed the alloy to pieces and subaru australia wants $220 for one- Looking at ones from the US for around $80 now, cos even with express shipping it couldnt be more than $140 to freight the fucker.

I've heard that 50,000km is about the max life for them. Fortunately, bearings are under $10 each and easily replaceable!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

How was that not whining like a cat caught in a loving wheat thresher? Almost every tensioner/idler on its way I've seen usually picked up a high pitched whine before it goes.

Mate was driving on the highway when it went and with how well soundproofed the liberty is and the stereo being up he didn't hear anything till the belt went bang!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

kastein posted:

That's rust? Why, I think you could still unscrew that bolt!

Rust is just natures loctite! :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Eponine posted:

From what I heard at work, the Cruze diesel has been in production, currently sitting in a lot near Lansing (unsure of the veracity of that part) and is going out soon. They were hoping gas would hit $5/gal this summer so they could release it when diesel's cheaper.

From what I know about the dealers' diesel abilities for Duramax engines and discerning client taste*, it's going to be a shitshow, STAY TUNED.

*When I first started this job, I worked on a claim for a buyback where the dealership had replaced a Duramax on a brand-new truck because "it had an engine tick."

Dont know what the US cruze looks like, but the Aus Cruze thats built here in Adelaide has a 2.0L 4 pot CRD diesel engine thats pretty drat good.

I think they are building LHD versions for people who drive on the wrong side of the road in export markets.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Well i DID have plans to finally get my HF radio mounted up in the cruiser today, but it wasnt to be.

Mum n dads cursed 95 series TD prado has struck again. Recently it was being a pain to start, wouldnt start on all 4 cylinders, blew a big cloud of white smoke on startup and was generally behaving as if it had a dead glowplug.

And dad mentioned it had started using coolant- bout 2-3 months ago the thermostat went sticky and mum overheated it on a hill.

Was in the process of checking these today, and pulled em all to check their resistance. Thought while they were out i'd blow the carbon out of the holes before refitting.

Cranked the motor over and blew a geyser of coolant out of #4 :psyduck:

Few hours later...

This doesnt look like a HF install?

Definately has had coolant in #4

#3 precombustion chamber

#4 precombustion chamber

#3 Cylinder

#4 Cylinder

Sonofabitch.... EVERY combustion chamber has cracks in it, but the #3 is the worst. Certainly explains where the coolant was going, and also explains why its a pain in the arse to start.

Exchange head with a new casting is $1400... This cars rapidly decending to the status of "Trade in"...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

yeah, thats the problem, when it sat still for a while after it was at operating temp, it would put enough into the cylinder that it still turned over, but wouldnt start until the others fired and spun it up to boil the coolant off (in a massive cloud of white smoke!)

Im going to get it crack tested and see if the cracks have penetrated into the coolant gallerys.

Toyota are apparently at revision #4 or so of this head to thicken them up around the chambers to try and stop them cracking there.

didnt get a photo of the gasket itself, but theres no OBVIOUS failures, althogh you can see an area on the head below #4 intake valve where theres absolutely NO black crap from the head gasket between the cylinder area and the water jacket hole, and theres also no black crap on the gasket in this point too, so that could be where its weeping from too.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

bout an M10x1.25 from memory- 14mm socket heads so that figures out about right.

Not all the head bolts were the same "Tightness" when released either, and it didnt matter whether they were inside the rocker or out in the open, so it could be a few have slightly weakened over the last 12yrs of heat/cool cycling, they are torque to yield bolts too.

We will see what the engine shop says tomorrow when they heat the head and pressure test the cracks to see if they go into the gallerys.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Motronic posted:

The only problem with that oldie but goodie is that you need to have a leaky coupling inside on the hose going through the car.

I've actually been in that situation (needed a hydrant that a car was parken in front of) and ended up doing something responsible and boring.....winched it out of the way a few feet. I got crap from everyone on the scene that I missed our golden opportunity. Sometimes having a white helmet sucks.

Or percolating hose- thats good at totally soaking the interior of a vehicle.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Motronic posted:

I have seen that used in high rise and commercial buildings in hose caddies and hose closets (which is probably why you link is for basically 1" and 1.5" hose).

In 20 years of doing this, I've never seen it on a truck or in use by a fire department. That's building protection kind of stuff, and would NEVER be used as LDH supply line (which is never near a fire anyway unless things have gone really, really sideways).

Generally its because our 64mm supply lines been overused and is weeping through the rubber coatings.

All our 25mm and 38mm is percolating because its more for bushfire than buildings and you spend a lot of time dragging hose across hot ground in bushfires.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Poisonlizard posted:

Video says it was a Maxima. I've seen the same thing happen on a 300E, it made a terrible noise, and we spent hours trying to figure it out. On the plus side, I got to use a bore scope on it.

Xtrail motors were known for doing it too- seen a few of them down here that have had very mangled heads from intake butterfly screws

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Hooray dads cursed prado strikes again...

Mum drove it yesterday, drove up into 5th, wouldnt come out.

Stripped the gearbox and half a thrust washer fell out- it managed to split the 5th gear thrust washer, dropped half of it into the front case and the other half jammed the 5th gear selector fork!

You can see where the gear was chewing on the bearing retainer for about 2km- no damage to the gear, and thats only about 1mm deep the wear on the retainer

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Go look at a few 4x4 tractors. ancient live axle Toyotas employ the same axle design.

I was at a fuel island at a truck stop several years ago when a driver ran a trailer into a concrete pilar and blew a tire, I was 10 feet from the explosion. My left ear still does not work right.

Yeah, most manufacturers weld the knuckles to the axle housing now, not considering them to be a wear part!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Slavvy posted:

What's bizarre is that the toyota passenger cars still use alloy covers (well they did as of early 2011), yet the diesel vehicles like hilux, land cruiser, hiace etc have plastic covers.
My 100 series has a plastic cover over the valves, with a layer of foam sandwiched between it and a steel outer cover!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

That's still entirely too close for comfort, it looks like if the antenna fell over it'd get tangled up in some lovely medium voltage sparky bits.

Not sure I'd refer to a mix of 240v and either 11KV or 33KV as "Medium voltage"...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Honestly Im quite impressed he went to the effort of notching the tubes before welding, rather than just pounding the ends flat with a hammer.

some texas redneck posted:

IEEE defines medium voltage as 601V to 69,000V. :science: And you don't see 240 (or 120) in transmission lines anyway; you usually don't see anything below 4160 (in the US) until you hit the final step-down transformer (and in residential, that can serve anywhere from one home to several houses, or on an apartment property, usually a few buildings).

Aus has HUGE distances of 240v transmission lines- pretty much entire suburbs are run with 240v

Top trio of wire is the 11KV/33KV lines, Bottom lines are the 240v lines- 3 phases for 415v and the neutral. The poles a stobie pole, which we use in South Aus because trees dont grow that big in our climate.

They are SPECTACULAR at loving cars.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Havent american offroaders heard of "Snatch straps" and "Winches"?

Seriously- how the gently caress do you crack a 42" thick reinforced concrete containment building?

Ferremit fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Ive seen some serious damage caused by winch cables recoiling after snapping- Things like shattering A pillars on 4wd's and cutting alloy roof racks in half