Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
We had a couple of -30F days here last year, and my new-beetle actually threw engine overheat alarms for a few minutes after startup, which was, ah, alarming.

Those temps aren't really routine, here, so I don't really know what I was supposed to have done, or indeed if my coolant was rated for it, although it didn't seem to have injured the thing any. I certainly panicked a bit, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
No pics of the initial failure, but I can scrounge you one later of the fix; there's a coolant line that runs right across the top of your workspace when you're replacing the coil pack on this VW 2.8 V6, right. The thread is apparently familiar with them having the tensile strength of a frito.

I nudged it while replacing said coil pack, and it crumbled. gently caress. I had no hopes whatsoever that it was even a numbered part that could be ordered, and gently caress if I was going to deal with any other portions of the system this evening.

I hacked the stubs at either end of the break into sorta hose barbs, and replaced the run with a piece of goddamn hose like the entire rest of the universe uses. The snazzy engine covers don't fit anymore, but the poor thing runs.

:sigh:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

rainwulf posted:

I wish that kind of stuff was available here in australia. They would make a fantastic outback vehicle able to run on the sweat of an aboriginal after he has been sniffing petrol for a few weeks.

Legend has it they'll run on anything that's flammable and can be fed to the cylinders, but I haven't seen any really ambitious demos that I can confidently recall.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Geirskogul posted:

Isn't stainless a fairly weak metal, though? Like "grade 2"?

Basically you need to be more specific, because 'stainless' is a huge family of alloys running from 'lovely grade 2' to 'the stuff we make reactor vessels out of'.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Is there any possible mechanism of failure that would cause a 2001 Passat to eat its right front suspension repeatedly?

I know that 'being a Volkswagen' and 'being an awful driver' are definitely on the table.

E: It was a cracked axle initially, and the replacement either cracked immediately or was cracked from the get-go. After a good axle was finally fit, it made it about five months and then turned up a bent control rod. It's starting to worry me.

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 14, 2017

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

nm posted:

When you says suspension, what do you mean?
The LCAs on b5 passats are a common failure point and failure to install them exactly correctly (I want to say you need to do certain things it the car on the ground) leads to even quicker failure.
The car also hates being lowered.

I edited details in, but, when doing shocks we found a cracked axle, and the replacement axle cracked essentially immediately somehow, and when it was in to have the left front wheel bearing done they discovered a bent control rod.

So probably didn't mean suspension and instead meant 'things associated with right front wheel'. So far as I know it hasn't been lowered.

It also just had the rear axle and right rear hub done after a sweet old lady drove directly into me, but I don't think that adventure resulted in anything else.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I've replaced the coil pack on this poor Passat four goddamn times in 20k miles, why is this?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

sharkytm posted:

or non-OEM plugs. If you put platinums or iridium quad-spark E2 fuel sippers in, the coils don't like it. OEM plugs aren't cheap, but they work. My old 2L Jetta needed the OE copper 3-prong NGK's to run correctly.

I'm actually not sure about the plugs :confused:

As for the coil pack, it's a duralast, which at least has a lifetime warranty, which eases the annoyance a bit. That and the swap is a two minute job.

And as for the other issue, maybe if I tear the badging off?

I don't hate the car at all, it's survived like three attempts on its life with no more than door dents and a bent axle. The opposing parties totalled themselves. I don't even know.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It's blood appetite is whetted. Unfortunately, either you or the car needs to die.

It's eaten like a third of my hand every piece of undercarriage or coolant work I've done on it, but I suppose it has a thirst.

quote:

2010(?) Beetle: had a plastic coolant manifold that cracked somehow, was replaced with a Napa part, which cracked 6 months later and was replaced with another Napa part, which cracked almost immediately.

This thing had a plastic coolant manifold that cracked while I was swapping a coil pack, which manifold was replaced with a couple segments of radiator hose, some clamps, and 43 seconds total of muttered imprecations.

No trouble since.

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 7, 2017

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
loving fox news using '$100G' for 100000$

gently caress them.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Queen Combat posted:

In marketing and advertising, M means thousand, too. Example, YouTube ad clicks. 100M equals 100,000.

Now that I think about it, I only see K meaning thousand in straight dollars/money, but M everywhere else.

I don't think this is the case.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
My safety glasses saved my eye from a length of schedule 80 tube departing a bender today, and I'd like it known that I appreciate it.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

BlackMK4 posted:

Back when I still daily rode motorcycles I would hear fuel boiling in the tank when I'd get stuck in traffic in Arizona summer...... it definitely didn't do this :v:

Gas cap was probably on.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Critical spares is where we're getting nailed right now, because our preventative maintenance program is well-honed after maintaining the same machines for sixty years or so.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sorry I was being obtuse with the question. Is there some tire inflator that was the root cause?

Air gets outside the pressure vessel, basically, and under the squishy rubber skin

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Assembly electrician carefully landed all 87 wires on the far side of this terminal strip one slot off.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

nene posted:

That's why I was taking it off, to investigate electrical and starting issues.

Investigation complete. Now all I have to do is fix it. I was trying to drill out the broken off bolt, but after two drill bits exploded, and a third slipped off and punched a hole through the wheel well next to the captive nut, I'm going to have to get imaginative. I really thought I was home free after I felt it go through, I wasn't going to even try an EZ-out on something so small and buried, just tap it to the next size up.

Wire-brush a section of frame anywhere nearby and put a bolt there. You've already drilled the hole even.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

nene posted:

Yeah, the captive nut was welded in before the car was put together. If I could get underneath and wriggle an arm all the way up through the (double wishbone) suspension I would probably do that.

Hell if the car wasn't parked on a slope right now I might even try that, but I've already got a hosed up leg and I'm not planning on losing out on another limb.

Instead we're going to find out what the current carrying capacity of a rivet nut is. :science:

If you can get a blind rivet in you should be able to get a sheet metal screw in, and that'll be somewhat better.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Cojawfee posted:

Can nutrifuel also be a body wash?

Probably good for degreasing.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's a pretty good example of why your cage should tie through the firewall, isn't it?

If anything, it's an example of why your cage should not tie through it, surely? In a crash like that I would much prefer the cage keep its integrity and the rest of the car can gently caress off to wherever it wants.

I'm not actually sure whether the cage failed and let the driver out or if it was just that they weren't secured at all, though. I lean towards the latter.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Ferremit posted:

Im leaning towards "PVC pipe's structural rigidity in an impact is not similar to the performance of DOM cromolly steel"

There is always the third option, yes.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
All the smoke came out.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Is that not just a matter of gasket material?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
That's rough for the end user but seems like a real easy kit for an oem to throw together.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Any piece of semiconductor electronics.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

StormDrain posted:

You'll have to dumb it down for me kemosabe.

Not that this stuff was original equipment on the sort of cars that have positive common, but things like LEDs care about polarity and generally assume that common is negative.

Radios and such may also assume that the chassis is negative. It's nothing you can't make work, but you do need to know what you're working with.

E: I see the question was answered, excellent.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Rolled up label for 'CHEESE NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Used those specific ones extensively for joining motor wiring, which was all stranded; I think ferrules are actually discouraged for them?

The grey-bodied type are easier to use with stranded wire, but both types are fine if you stripped fresh.

Keep in mind that they have a minimum wire gage as well.