Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

General_Failure posted:

Heads and pistons from my collection. The thing to note on the bottom head is the shim sitting on it. See the hole burnt throught it? Yeah. Did that in less than an hour, on more than one cylinder. Due to the domed piston pictured next to it.

The top one, dropped intake valve seat, ate a piston.

That looks like a VW motor, but I can't quite tell with all the fail.. How does one destroy a motor like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I know I an a little late to this party, but as a driveway mechanic let me say gently caress drum brakes.. I can do disks is 1/2 - 1/4th the time, the only saving grace is that they don't need to be done as often because they are in the back.

Speaking as someone from the land of salt and rust, I can say that I don't think I've ever had drums that I have bled without some rust related issue (broken valves, stuck valves, rounded / mis-sized valves from rusty buildup or wearing away, for done reason I've never had bleeder issues with rear or front disks.

I have announced to all my friends that I will only do disks as favors/ because I like them

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Mechanical failure in progress at the shop. Somehow someone grounded the battery to short on the brake hardline and the master cylinder is boiling over and the lines are glowing red. On standby with the extinguishers.

How does one do that, did they try to really gently caress poo poo up?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

That's what I was thinking. The calipers are likely fine, but the lines are already rusting, and the master cylinder and ABS pump aren't designed for that kind of heat. No telling what kind of damage was done to the electrical system, particularly with that loom that runs next to one of the lines.

Unfortunately the shop's insurance will likely take the hit, even though all they did was remove a caliper. Gonna be ugly no matter what.

edit: I sent 14" a text asking about it, apparently the car was in there for "boiling brake fluid" anyway, and followed it up with: "Haha dudes drivin it into the ground and scrapping it soon, he didn't care at all. Replaced what was necessary and he picked it up". :drat:

Then id put it on the owner.. Tell them that the system was shot and that it caused it.
Honestly I'm surprised that the abs system had that kind of power flowing through it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

My 91 Volvo's 2nd thickest positive cable goes to the ABS module. Its thicker than the wire from the alternator to the battery.

I was brain farting.. I was thinking only of the sensors, not the solenoids.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

DefaultPeanut posted:

"It sounds different than normal when you are trying to start it"
No poo poo?

Hmm seems a bit out of adjustment.
Is that a 1cyl
Dohv lawnmower?
Does I have veeteek ?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

Someone doesn't watch South Park, apparently.

This episode is on right now oddly enough....
Faaags..

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Geoj posted:

Too bad the kind of catastrophic failure in that picture can't happen to them while they're blasting down the left shoulder at 130 MPH :smith:

This just happened in my area, 5 guys doing 90 past a cop nailed it to 100+ to run and 1-2 miles down the road, one broke, bounced in front of a semi, and his friend got shaken and bounced off a guardrail

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The Scientist posted:

Don't certain patrol cars have superchargers for stuff like this (I imagine those chargers I see are pretty badass)? Still I wish a motorcycle crash on no-one. A

Thr officer was going to start pursuit but stopped when they punched it, for the safety of the bikes

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How the gently caress does one let their brakes get like this? I mean on the 2nd brake job wont the shop say "time to replace rotors"?
Its obvious they dont do their own work.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 30, 2011

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Budget Monty posted:

We had a dodge minivan come into our shop that was in there only because the "Brake" light came on. It was on because of low brake fluid (Because it was all in the calipers!). Upon inspection, the rotors looked just like that, but oddly enough, the brakes seamed fine on a test drive, not so much as a pull! The metal backing plate was all that remained of the brake pad on that side, and was bent like a banana from heat. Shocking to see something that bad after virtually no noticeable drive-ability issue.

See honey I told you that if we wait long enough that noise would stop. Brake jobs are a conspiracy, I mean the parts are made of metal so there's no way that they would wear out.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It was quick thinking to let the air out, but should have called for some air once unstuck

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

sandoz posted:

Not particularly horrible compared to most of the stuff in this thread, but definitely catastrophic to my ears :saddowns:

Looks like you need a new muffler bearing there.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The cam on the left looks like mowernutz(tm) or valvenutz(tm)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Chinatown posted:

Whitewalls? Really?

Yeh but they are extreme whitewalls, the kind that show once all the rubber is gone. I think we are looking at the chords (cords) of the tire.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

quote:

jack / jackstand talk

I have had to use a scissor jack for real car work before in a pinch because my floor jack decided that it wanted to start to leak when I was working on a car and most store were closed / I didn't want to make a trip....

BUT.. it was NEVER used for support, the car went up, got dropped on jack stands (I always use 2 on the side I'm working on). I also try to put the tires under the frame of the car for just 1 more point of protection.

I've seen some terrible mechanical failures of jacks / scissor jacks.. and people who think jack stands are for pussies must think that wheelchairs or missing / prosthetic arms are super cool.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

Would be taking that rotor manufacturer to town for every penny of my expenses including my soiled underwear because :stare:

Until the rotor manufacturer states that these were not for racing applications and were not designed to take the heat / stresses of repeated high speed breaking (lame rear end Pun intended )

In good news:
At least it didn't split in 1/2 and turn into a high speed projectile

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Eliptical posted:

Crossposting from the What did you do to your ride today thread.

My sister had the car for a few weeks at school and mentioned some grinding from the brakes. She drove nearly 200 miles before getting home. When I got the caliper off I was rewarded with this lovely sight.

http://imgur.com/ZxAbJ
http://imgur.com/DjM6w

Was this on a Malibu? this happened to one of my friends, "my brakes are noisy"
Ok let's replace them.
Hey... Where's your other pad?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Savington posted:

"Accidentally" hitting a school bus is on the same level as "accidentally" having sex with a transvestite.

Yea, it happened because you were drunk, stoned, stupid, or secretly like it but you told the cops you didn't know.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think that's military time /24hr so subtract 12 from it and you get 2:20

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

meatpimp posted:

That is loving impressive. :bravo:

Yes it is, I forwarded this to every one i know that has a hardon for gm

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The bolts probably came from harbor freight, or Lowes

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This came into the shop like this?
How the gently caress does a rotor get like this? Warping is usually minute, not inches of deflection. Did you cause this by laying this on a fire first?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fermunky posted:

Yup, and being only 2 years into the loan of the car, I had to fix it. Shop knocked off a few bucks and the bill was still 4100. Replaced every valve in the head and associated hardware of everything in between.
Was it bright yellow? I knew someone who did this once.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

In his defense the front end picture kinda makes it look like a 95 dodge / Chrysler something or other

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

thecobra posted:

That wasn't meant to sound as bad as it looks. Just saying that those three brands were badge engineered. You missed one, and also one year off. :spergin:
I realized I missed one, too lazy to edit.
The year was a 1/2 educated guess (not a mopar guy) so 1 year isn't bad.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

That is pro as gently caress.
At first I thought I was looking a a caliper

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is the obvious solution.

tbf I've seen plenty of this from every age group. The problem is that 99% of American drivers are fuckwits and invent new ways of being bigger fuckwits every day.

Which is why my next new car is going to need a backup camera. Because fuckwits can't be bothered to use their mirror or crane their neck to check behind them.
Are they more likely to check the camera?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is there some kind of story that goes with this picture. Please say it's headlight or inspection related.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My one friend had a Malibu that decided to lose a pad. "my brake is making noise " pulled it apart on the weekend and saw piston grinding the rotor.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Quick put It back on the car and take it to the dealer, there's a recall on that and you'll get 2 new springs, and actually I think they probably replace the whole thing because it's faster

Edit:
Mine went out at 50mph almost scared my shorts brown.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vivec posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjE-wHsjZ_E

A video but... glorious nonetheless.

The redneck that was supposed to torque the bolts down didn't realize that the book said 200lbs not 20.0

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

To me it looks like some plastic or paper got destroyed by the hot coolant shower.
I took a coolant shower once and i imagine that's how my skin looked.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I say duche in training its not a fixie
I am not surprised, looks like some kids with little experience driving had a bit of trouble

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I did it again. :tinfoil:

You sir need to get some kind of medal or lifetime achievement award.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I am no professional mechanic but I don't think liquid should be coming from the exhaust manifold like that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Looks like the dreaded oil and water milkshake to me.
Or they overfilled the muffler bearing lube resivoir, they have lines for a reason.

Edit, def not a milkshake now that I am not on my phone

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 1, 2013

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah seriously call a tow truck and pay for your horrible mentalical failure

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I know it says pictures.. but all this easy out talk is getting me nostalgic for my most tragic "mechanic" failure

My buddy and I were doing the suspension on his car..
We ran into a stubborn bolt after completing 3 of the 4 corners in record time (probably 1.5-2hrs max) and I accidentally left him alone with tools... while I went to go get some spray and a torch (This was my bad)

He puts the socket and ratchet on it and starts trying to get the bolt out.. (even though I have a perfectly good impact wrench that we were using)
As I"m walking back next thing I hear is the loud clang of a wrench bouncing off of parts of the car (I figure he broke the bolt after the sound)..
Sure enough he says.. "I got it".. and starts turning and pulls out a little nub.

Go to sears grab some carbide bits and easy outs (Becuase I knwo that the suspension bolts on a Honda are very hard.).. I think I went through 2-3 easy outs after giving up

Because drilling out bolts is about as fun as having sex with your own grandpa while he tells you stories about how he saved .35 at the grocery store by buying dented cans, I tell my friend that it's his job to drill out the bolts (My fault again).. So he manages to not keep the drill straight.. I know this becuase after 5 min of drilling he says.. "I'm done" I put the drill through the hole and he drilled sideways through the suspension bracket...

I hate broken bolts.. and I hate easy outs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

kastein posted:

It sounds like you should hate doing mechanical work with mechanically unskilled people, actually. Yikes.

That was part of it.. I now have a strict NO HANDS ON TOOLS policy with any of my friends that I deem mentally unfit to understand how to work on things. I've had other experiences with easy outs not working but this memory is always a PTSD onset when easy outs are mentioned.