Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Forgot to post this after I got the car back:

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

kastein posted:

Subaru second gear?

Sure looks like it based on where the speedo gear drive is.
Third, actually, but yeah it's from my WRX. Good call. When the car came to a halt I had attempted to downshift to second but the shrapnel in the transmission at that point had other plans.

Edit: I get that the right is 3/4, but what's the thing on the left? Transmissions are magic to me and they just handed these to me at the shop as trophies when I picked the car up.

Edit 2: I guess that's the drive gear?

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 28, 2014

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yep, according to this post on NASIOC you're right, it's probably the 3rd drive gear. Where's the IRC server? I didn't know AI had one.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I love the "woo!" from one of the closer dudes.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I don't think my brain is properly appreciating the scale of that thing.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The fluid in my bike has never been changed (it's an '01) but the color is still a little lighter than Yuengling. I should probably get to that. :ohdear:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Isn't that e-cig stuff just elaborate talking-in-code about marijuana vaporizing?
Nope. There's a bit of an overlap between stoners and e-cig users but only like 1 out of 3 dudes I know who smoke them is a stoner so v:shobon:v

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I'm no expert but I wouldn't want to mess with the delicate balance of pressure and structural integrity in any way other than "stand far away and make it all go away"

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Does anyone have the picture of the bolt formed into a brake pad's material? I remember it was posted here many moons ago but I can't find it now. :(

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Micr0chiP posted:

Someone asked for this picture pages ago.

E: and another that poped on the GIFs thread

Thank you for this! I totally forgot I asked. :downs:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

revmoo posted:

I was downtown at an event when Ike rolled through town and we had 75mph winds. I'm standing directly underneath the largest towers in the city and watching them sway a good 4-5 feet back and forth above me. It was terrifying. Then I get home and turn on the news and that same building had been shedding parts from the top pretty much right onto the area I had been at.
Hah, "shedding." Such a delightful term for it, akin to "rapid unplanned disassembly" or whatever.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I think that was me. Was it this picture?

http://i.imgur.com/xXuJXG9.jpg
I think my brain is preventing me from comprehending this picture to spare me the trauma.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Here is the original post,

I usually try to avoid going to the hospital but I was worried about rusty metal embedded in my finger and I couldn't remember the last time I had a Tetanus shot. I wrapped a shop towel around it and drove myself to the hospital, of course my car is manual transmission.
Oh my god. I had to squint at it from an angle but now I can't unsee it. :gonk:

Jonny Nox posted:

I had to read the entire original post to grasp that that wasn't a piece of gauze on the metal...
Yeah, this is basically what I saw too. Had to imagine a finger pointing East by Southeast.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I wonder if they continue to pull it towards the wall after impact.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Are they actually power lines or some other utility?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Also, please use spigot rings with aftermarket wheels.
First time I've heard them called anything other than "hubcentric" rings. Neat.

Using those always seems to confuse tire shops in my area.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Another thing I found out the hard way. If they are aftermarket wheels, you'll pick up vibration above 55 mph if someone forgot to put the hub rings back in.
Or if they're laterally bent. :smith:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

This looks rad. How is safety wire generally done, like that? Does it come pre-twisted and you just bend it?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Hilarious. Yeah, I couldn't clearly see that only one strand was going through the holes in the bolts, and had no idea what the mechanism was. I learned.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Are torque sticks not accurate enough for lug nuts, or what?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Obviously if you just flail around and use the wrench backwards (few people seem to know that this is a thing with adjustable wrenches)
:suicide:

Never even occurred to me. Makes perfect sense.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Miatosis, surely.
This is fantastic.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

For reference, it should look like this. Note the front wheel and first bogie

:stare:

Thanks for the reference. I'd've had no idea.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

DumbparameciuM posted:

Not sure about Kansas, but where I'm from you're supposed to flag large projecting loads/rear overhangs.
I assumed that's what the pants were for.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

What am I- oh, oh dear.

Edit:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Memento posted:

They're the Dakar Rally car of dogs, because they can go loving anywhere at incredible speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA184Vs4Zeg

Also if they were the supercar of dogs they'd break all the time.
Ugh, I can't find a version of this without the music but I know it's out there. Sorry. This is the first video of one of those fuckers that made me go "holy poo poo."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-AJJfPeBH0

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

All this talk of impacts is making me realize that switching my wheels twice a year using the emergency toolkit wrench is loving dumb.

Are cordless impacts worth a poo poo for that sort of thing? I don't have a compressor nor room for a compressor. I could be convinced to use an electric impact in lieu of a cordless one. I'll use a torque stick, I promise.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Appreciate the advice on impacts. Coincidentally, just this weekend I had the opportunity to do some suspension work on my car with a cordless impact my buddy owns. Getting lug nuts off immediately and spinning them back on to be finished by hand was loving glorious and I still think I want one. Wasn't aware that torque sticks couldn't be used with them, though.

...That being said, I don't think I know a single person IRL who actually uses a torque wrench on their lug nuts. I always just tighten them to "not gonna fall off" by hand and haven't had any problems. :v:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

So how many people do you know that had problems with their wheels?
Zero.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

xzzy posted:

Someone who can barely afford the BMW to begin with and got sticker shock when it came time to buy a new tire.

The real question is how many miles have they done between oil changes. :v:
I overheard a coworker bitching about how the dealership didn't tell him he needed to change his oil. Immediate loss of all respect.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

xzzy posted:

Also airfoils don't work because "the shape creates a low pressure area above the wing".

:v:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding or missing a joke, but per Bernoulli's principle the fast-moving air above the wing exerts less pressure than the slow-moving air under the wing, correct? Thus creating a net force upwards? I'm assuming your point is that there's much more to it than that.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Magnaflux posted:

Lots of examples of metal and fuel combining and turning into bombs in this video. Bonus gratuitous slow-mo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCZJinpbGvU
This was a fantastic way to spend my lunchbreak. Thank you.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Powershift posted:

Sounds like monster energy drink
Nah, the brain damage is before drinking it in that case.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

The fun part is blowing peoples minds when you explain that turbochargers are powered by heat.
Care to elaborate on this? It sounds like a textbook "um, actually" but I'm curious.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Heat from expansion of hot exhaust gases rushing past turns the turbine.

Basically: Heat itself can transfer energy, but heat's goal is to get from the hot place to the cold so it can reach an energy equilibrium, and while the piston itself exerts some force upon the exhaust gases, the actual energy derived is from the heat expanding to cool down as it rushes past the turbine to the cooler portions of the exhaust.

https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1754
Gotcha. I gotta admit I'm a bit surprised that the exhaust stroke doesn't do much work compared to the expansion of the exhaust gases.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

This has been my favorite for years, purely for the :hellyeah: factor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J2gHXYMpq8

...But I think side-helicopter up there might be the new king. :stare:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I can't get over the fact that it sounds like a goddamned Peahat

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I love it. The ultimate mechanical failure bait-and-switch, in GIF form.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

It looks like it also might've been a close shave with the traffic light even if it hadn't launched it. Maybe that's why he stopped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Into another environment?
:v: