Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

ab0z posted:

I've seen that one before, as it says in the comments it wasn't a test of the car, but of the wall and facility. the car had lots of weight in the back.

Did you seriously just rely on Youtube comments for information?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Shut the gently caress up. Gearbox.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

ab0z posted:

I know this guy IRL, he's this funny all the time.

I don't get the pun...

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

jamal posted:

Good example of the poo poo that goes on at pikes peak. See this thing:

After crashing last year, he built this "NSX" tube frame car from scratch with a twin turbo LSX, and brought it to pikes peak without doing any testing.

Control arm broke on the second corner during the first practice run:

Driver OK, sounds like most of the damage is just to the very expensive body work.

Saw this being built over Facebook. That "before" picture was literally the day before the race he had to be at Pike's Peak and the carbon fiber was not fully cured yet. Also he's in West Michigan.

Down. To. The. Wire. Testing is important.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 25, 2013

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

kastein posted:

I decided I didn't have enough pain in my life working on computers or cars and now I'm an embedded systems engineer for an automotive/aerospace company.

Just kidding, it's the most fun I've ever had at work.

God damnit you are doing exactly what I dream about doing while I pretend to do work at my mechanical support job at a chemical plant :mad:

I wish I could take pictures here. This place is rusting the gently caress apart and the amount of rust and horrible failures makes me jaded. We just had a 120" cooling tower fan blow up and launch itself into the air a couple weeks ago.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

If I won the lottery* and were to buy a garage with four lifts and a nice storefront, would goons move to Phoenix to work/be self employed there?

(* I will never, because I don't play)

As your shop engineer, I recommend you hire me as your shop engineer.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What does wifey think about you using the love gloves for garage projects?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Netflix recommended I watch that. Definitely going on the queue now.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Neat derail.

In the backyard currently there's 21.5L across 36 cylinders, making 1,597 crank horsepower. :coolfish:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hahahaha holy poo poo I'm sorry I participated in the cylinders chat. Let's put the further ones in the chat thread.

:siren: NO MORE CYLINDER/HP/DISPLACEMENT poo poo BELOW THIS LINE :siren:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I thrust this community to achieve lift on these topics, and not downforce them to negativity. You may want to vary your pitch accordingly, Platystemon.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Alright that's enough puns for now.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Quick turbo diagnosis is certainly an added perk for a 3" straight pipe all the way back.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hi don't D&D in here

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Isn't freon inflammable? Can't a spark set it off?

Refrigerants are normally halocarbons. While carbon-derivatives are widely used as fuel, halogens are very effective flame retardants and are generally very stable and inert due to their proximity to the noble gases.

So, very generally, no.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Any gas can be used as a refrigerant. I should have specified "halocarbons" as that's what most residential, automotive, commercial, and industrial applications are using.

If you're using R290 as a refrigerant (and it's a great one don't get me wrong) you better know what the gently caress you're doing.

Edit: I did specify halocarbons :confused:

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 15, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Oh my god please quit talking about puddles and suction its getting me wet

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Horrible Derailing Failures

(please stop)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

That was an awesome read.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Good read. I learned some poo poo.

If you end up taking that poo poo apart, you must post pics and descriptions etc, or I demand you get a 1 day probe.

Seconded.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Weird derail.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Those are some flat spotted tires I'd replace with a poo poo-eating grin on my face.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:siren: AI Secret Santa is up! :siren:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Okay that was fun. Let's get back to Horrible Mechanical Failures though. I'm keepin the Grandpa subtitle.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Okay that was fun. Let's get back to Horrible Mechanical Failures though. I'm keepin the Grandpa subtitle.

:frogsiren:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Just to mostly show I'm not being an ageist gently caress, if y'all wanna keep going on will-chat feel free to invade the January Chat Thread.

slidebite posted:

e: ^^ Didn't see your post. Will stop the derail! Sorry! ^^

All good amigo I always forget to bold and siren poo poo so people will actually read my drivel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hey neato gang let's get back on Horrible Mechanical Failures though.