Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

chem42 posted:

A-10s are so loving :black101: I bet the pilot kept killing tanks and poo poo for a while before returning to base.

Oh god I never want to be close to the target of one of these things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU32sKRB_uw&feature=related

From awesome to terror in 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Psylocibe posted:

The GAU-8 Avenger gives me such a chub.

Edit: Photo does not belong in this thread as neither are anywhere close to a horrible mechanical failure.

Yes but one of them liberally dispenses mechanical failure, so it counts.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Ola posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity: Breaks have braked, to broak to fix >

I refuse on grounds of it being damaging to my psyche to read that sentence every time I come here.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

orange lime posted:

I like to believe that the pickup truck has a permanently-mounted frame in the bed specifically for carrying those around.

And yeah, it would be so much cooler if it were on bearings. I wonder how fast it would spin in a 60mph wind?

I cannot believe that they're allowed to have an open spinning shaft like that. I know it's got a railing in front of it, but if you get your hand caught anywhere near that green support you don't have a hand any more :gonk:

If you've never been to an industrial factory you should give it a shot. It's like they're made for killing careless people.

One time while inspecting equipment I almost fell down a 20' ladder-cage because one of the employees forgot to put the chain-guard back up. Guy at a factory I did some work for had one of his fingers ripped off by a vibratory conveyor, but that was his fault. He had the thing re-attached, and I poo poo you not, did the same exact thing a few months later while relating the story of what happened, though he kept the finger that time.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

trouser chili posted:

I've never been more in awe of sheer danger than the time I toured a smelter.

There are a thousand ways to die in a cereal plant, I wouldn't gently caress with smelting.

But you haven't lived until you've wandered the basement of a recently flooded coal power plant. Handrails and platforms covered in wet mud in cave-like darkness?! Okay great!

Thinking back I don't know how we were allowed down there at that stage of the recovery, that was just stupid.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Phy posted:

Post stories of horrible mechanical failures, too, please?

Flood damage isn't exciting damage, it just makes for dangerous working conditions. Just try to imagine a pitch-black 600'x200'x40' (LxWxH) cave with half an inch to two inches of mud everywhere, and some holes still filled with water.

Nothing was operational when the water got to the plant so I think the worst immediate damage was from one of the turbines still being at operating temperatures when it got doused. All that did was warp all the blades so they needed to get a new turbine. Rest of the damage was from spending a couple of weeks under flood-water, that stuff is awful to equipment.

I'll see if I can find some pictures, but I think they're all locked up in an old project folder.

Edit: Found the photos but they're all equipment specific and after they drained, pressure-washed and got lights up in the basements. Also, the equipment photos show tags that include our company name and my name in big letters. No dice.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 12, 2010

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
996 motors and light-weight flywheels don't mix, kids.

quote:

1- The engine was "upgraded" to a lightened flywheel. This new flywheel was installed onto the existing stock engine without being balanced to that assembly. This created an imbalance in the rotating mass AND it did away with the factory dual mass flywheel.

2- The dual mass flywheel was removed to alow the single mass lightened unit to be installed. This eliminated ALL MEANS OF HARMONIC DAMPENING!! The crankshaft was forced to absorb ALL harmonics from the engine and transaxle when the dual mass unit was removed..

So- adding the light weight flywheel was a double negative, not only did it create imbalance, it also eliminated the harmonic dampening of the dual mass arrangement.

Due to this I feel that adding a lightweight flywheel to any existing engine is not a wise decision, and that they should only be added when the entire rotating mass can be balanced and indexed to accomodate the lightweight unit. This means engine disassembly, so I'd only add one of these when doing one of our performance upgrades so the entire assembly can be precisely balanced.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

frozenphil posted:

"What is this metal and rubber doughnut thing on my engine? I bet removing it should be worth a few horsepower. Stupid engineers, this is a performance Porsche, it doesn't need a smooth ride!"

The race teams use it so it must be better!*

* - Involves extensive modifications and frequent engine tear-downs.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Sockington posted:

*Forklift backs into pump*

"Yeah guys, your pump just exploded. No idea how the casing got cracked"
:hfive:

I'll buy it. I'm working in an a stamping plant right now overseeing some construction work and the plant fork truck drivers keep plowing into the construction demarcation walls. Every loving week we need to fix the wall and every loving week the materials handling dept. says it's not their problem and the drivers aren't doing anything wrong.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

huskyjackal posted:

D: My poor old Corolla. I guess it's a mechanical failure.. if by mechanical I mean "those liquid-carrying semi trucks" and failure I mean "caused me to lose control and it ran over the front of my car". It was not a good night for me. But hey! It still drove to the side of the road before another semi hit me, so.... huzzuh?
e: the driver of the semi had the audacity to tell me, "You bent a couple o' my rims!!" "Oh yeah? You BENT HALF OF MY CAR." dick.

Aren't most semi/car accidents caused by the car? And how does a semi-truck cause you to lose control?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Lowe9 posted:

On the 401 between Toronto and Montreal, truckers love to quickly flash the blinker once while hauling their rig into the next lane as fast as possible; ignoring the fact that your driving along side them, expecting you to jam the brake or take the shoulder.

Don't drive in a truck's blind spot. It's like the most dangerous place on the highway, don't be there.

Personally, I've never seen a trucker do something dangerous on the road, but I've seen plenty of car drivers do crazy poo poo around trucks. There was a guy at my old office though that said he saw truckers loving things up all the time, but I think he was just crazy.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Lilbeefer posted:

Didn't know where to paste it so I thought I'd put it here, because even though it is just an "easy" way to access the entire engine, most of you probably class the Disco 3/4 as a horrible mechanical failure.

I am in Sales so I can't comment on what a pain in the arse it is to work on these things, except to say I see this a few times per week, and it takes 4 or so hours to do.

The techs complain far more about the cars then the customers do, obviously. In case you didn't know, the LR3/4 has both a monocoque and a frame chassis.

All I see is a potential 440Nm full time 4wd go cart.

Edit: it is actually a good car, so long as you only own it under factory warranty, just like any European car :argh:

If I could have completely free and unobstructed access to the engine in four hours work I would be the happiest man. How's access to regular maintenance items without removing the body?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Nerobro posted:

And the structures we're talking about are stressed in tension, not in compression. In tension you don't need to worry about buckle strength. in tension things straighten themselves out and pull to the best shape to resist the pressure.

In compression the slightest ding, dent, or defect concentrates the stress and you get that sickening crush you saw on that rail car.

There's a fun test you can do of this. Take an empty can of soda, stand it upright on a flat, hard surface. Now grab hold of something to steady yourself and gently stand on top of it, if you do it right it will be able to hold your weight.

Now have someone ever so slightly touch the side of the can. It will immediately implode and you'll come straight down.

It's pretty neat. Vessels can hold lots and lots of pressure, but drop them below atmospheric and it's bad news.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Blocko posted:

I'm not sure that is so much a test of pressure as it is an example of the strength of a cylinder. I've done that before though to impress my younger cousins because I am a huge science nerd.

True, but it's also a great way to show how something with a lot of strength can fail immediately due to only a small defect.

Besides, it's cool as hell and I wanted to share. So there. :colbert:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Cakefool posted:

4000T Komatsu Transfer

I'd love to hear what kind of noise one of those makes when it shits the bed, or did it just kind of sieze up and grind to a halt?

Along the same line, I was doing some construction management for an automotive press plant and got to see my contractors drop the Crown for a 2500T Press after driving the truck out from underneath it. Total damage? Two bent oil lines and a drip tray. :cool:

What I thought was going to happen when I saw the crane's rear end lift 15 feet in the air? :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Das Volk posted:

Nor have I - but every year it costs over $600 here in California. It's pretty clear what's important to them.

New York's got ya beat, my brother had to drop out of grad school for a semester*, spend $500 and four months to get a hold issued by NY taken off his GA license so he could get it renewed. Apparently he had a speeding ticket he didn't pay some 5 or 6 years ago and NY was holding a grudge. It took that long because each time he'd get a hold lifted they'd find out there was another hold, nobody could ever tell him if this hold was the last one so he'd have to try to renew his license at the DMV every time to check.

* - He lived way off campus and couldn't get to school without his license.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

MomJeans420 posted:

Does dropping a wrench into a pan full of 95k mile old gear oil count as a mechanical failure? I ended up getting it all over my face and neck, in my mouth, eyes, etc. I can still smell it the next day, I think I'm traumatized.
Not gear oil, but I have a shirt that I got brake fluid on two years ago that I wear when working on cars to remind myself to be careful about draining fluids.

Note to Self: Use brake fluid as base for perfume, make killing on longest-lasting perfume ever.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
My parents' first Dodge Neon '97 was a mechanical failure, if that counts.

At about 100,000 miles they decided they weren't going to fix it anymore because the head gasket was blown and it wasn't worth the repair. So we kept driving it, waiting for it to die.

I used it for pizza delivery, where it boiled all of the coolant/oil sludge off several times, was my dad's daily driver for about a year after I moved away, and was then given to my brother who drove it from Atlanta to Florida at an average speed of 90mph or so. I think after another year the radiator cracked and he gave it to a friend of his, who fixed it and continued using it as a daily driver.

Oh, I also autocrossed it several times with the blown head gasket, managing to best significantly more capable cars (while on worn, $40 tires).

Did I say mechanical failure? I think I meant to say mechanical hero.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Holdbrooks posted:

I have had a fear of that back in birmingham after reading about a knock off wire wheel falling off a donk in ATL jumping the median on the interstate and killing a guy. There were plenty of donks back there.

There was also that person who died after a chunk of I-20 towards Atlanta was kicked up by a truck tire and sent through her windshield. They dropped the speed limit on I-20 to 55mph in response, I wonder if they ever fixed it.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Do everything right, put engine in backwards.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Motronic posted:

Skip the baking soda and go find the biggest vacuum you can get your hands on. Probably one of those things that takes quarters at the DIY wash places. Your carpet padding is soaked, and it's unlikely to ever dry properly without pulling the seats and carpets, but you can at least try to get as much out as possible if you aren't going to pull it.

I'm going to be that if you vacuum this/dehumidify/whatever that you'll still be able to feel wet carpet if you push down on it. If that's the amount of water you have there's just no really good way of getting that stuff out before it turns moldy other than pulling it.

Yep, definitely want to pull the carpet padding. An a/c drain line in my Volvo decided to come out of the hole leading under the car and piss all over the underside of my passenger footwell, which puddled up in the rear. And when I say puddled up in the rear I mean once I had the passenger seat out and the carpets/padding up there was a literal puddle of water sloshing around in the back. The only way to deal with it was to remove the carpets entirely to let them dry out in the sun and bail out all of the water.

It got moldy really quickly, too, so had I not pulled the carpets it could have gotten really bad. I'm just happy they were laid in place with only a few clips holding them in, no glue at all between the foam padding and the metal of the car.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I once had a rotation done with an oil change at a dealership, and while checking the torque on the lugs afterwards (I was getting ready to tow something at the vehicle's limit) found that a bunch were around 40-50 lb-ft and one was pretty well cross-threaded. I went back to the dealership minutes after closing in a bit of a huff and the general manager brought me into the shop to have the bad bolt "taken care of". What did that mean? It meant the guy hit it with the impact to tighten it back down (the general manager tried to blame me because I hadn't been more specific with what I wanted, apparently).

Of course this just locked it up on the stud even worse, and they didn't have a stud available. I had to go back first thing the next morning and watch them cut the loving stud out because they had straight up melted the nut on the stud and couldn't pull it off.

It was pretty god drat incredible. They gave me two free oil changes to make up but of course I never went near the place again.

* Oh, and before the guy completely hosed the stud he bitched about a girl mechanic doing the job in the first place. Nice job, you dumb, misogynist poo poo.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Yeah that's an early 944 2.5NA, though what the hell happened to it I have no idea. Explodey cam?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Maybe? I have no idea unless a hydraulic lifter completely collapsed and escaped in an over-rev.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

kastein posted:

Wow, I think the escaping parts even removed the proper entry from the firing order list cast into the cover.

Maybe this head was jealous of #2 always blowing the bottom end out, and decided it wanted a piece of the action.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Here's my guess. The plug for the port there was in some way badly seized, the person put a breaker bar to it and hit the bar with a hammer. Yeah same thought as Enourmo.

I did the same thing trying to get the top coolant elbow off of mine. One of the two bolts was seized, I whacked it, and it came out with a grape sized chunk of head. Good thing I was taking the head out anyway to have it machined--the shop was able to goober weld a stud in without blocking the coolant passage.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

SEKCobra posted:

Well I think they could be barely legally fit cause I think it says something like 2/3 must have the required tread. His claim is simply that I wanted to use the newer Tiguan instead of the old Golf. I have voiced my support for the switch from Golf to Tiguan in the past, because it is vastly superior in performance, handling, occupant comfort & safety as well as public image. (Apparently it was also almost the same price because of the relationship with VW the red cross maintains)
Obviously I don't actually give a gently caress, besides ride height the Golf doesn't bother me for the most part, and I didn't actively try to find a reason. I wasn't even the first person to report the tires, just first to not use the car with them. But yeah, car dude threw a childlike fit and "ignored" me, told dispatch to tell me his findings (while on the phone with them in the same room I'm in...) and was apparently complain to the operational supervisor. But the department head told me that he managed to calm him down and stopped it, before telling me to take vehicle issues less serious.

Every company is all about safety, safety safety until somebody needs to fork out cash to replace worn, unsafe equipment.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I had a dealership strip a lug nut on the rear wheel of my Xterra when I had to tow 5,000lbs 100 miles the next morning. A number of the others weren't up to torque, and others were over-torqued, but this one was straight fuckered and I couldn't budge it.

I went back after hours to yell at the manager, who dragged everybody in. The mechanic thought I just wanted it snug (?!?!?!) so hit it with an impact, getting it up to the wheel but completely destroying the stud and nut. When I yelled at him he tried to back it off but instead of backing off the stud popped out the back side of the hub and started rattling around the wheel with the nut still attached.

They also didn't have any spare studs.

I had to carefully bring the truck back with the trailer in the morning, unhitch it and put it on a lift. They plasma cut the stud off, pounded a new one into the hub and put it all back together...with a torque wrench. I hooked the trailer back up and off I went.

When poo poo like that can happen is it really worth the time you save using an impact?

Edit: Myself I get the nuts started by hand, use an electric impact to zip them to the wheels then torque. Usually they need a quarter to half turn to get up to proper torque after that.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 21, 2017

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What in the gently caress car is this from?

It's not from the 900, I hope, since 1970 is before they were made.

:psyduck:

e: Saab 96, apparently.

But why? I need to know!

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Vanagoon posted:

This seems like a good time to post Audi UFO brakes again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g2s_xX3nmw&t=53s

All I can imagine while watching that video is how many times I would gently caress up and knock that outer brake pad off while trying to put the disc in. I'm swearing and throwing imaginary wrenches in my dream garage just thinking about it.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Is that like a painted torque-mark but with glue?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Fo3 posted:

What about decent headers/exhaust extractors? Most manufacturers had sucky ones just due to cost.
I was blown away with the BMW, yeah, still cast headers but half decent and twin pipe through the exhaust. If they're selling a car for $80k+ they do it right.
But that era fords and other cheap marques were crap, and mazda rotaries just had a box when they run better with long primaries.

The vortex thing is poo poo, but as emissions and economy became more important they did spend the extra dollars. So not much gains from anything made well or in the last 15-20 yrs, but looking back, they put profit over performance/economy it is plain to see just in exhausts

Behold! The quality engineered German headers of the Porsche 996!

High density, high strength booger welds included at no extra cost!

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

DogonCrook posted:

Thats not as bad as the 914's with the heat exchanger/exhaust. Those drat things are worth more than the cars they are on its like 7k for oem. Even aftermarket its like 3.5 if you still want heat exchangers. They look like a real pain in the rear end to manufacture.

Imgur is acting weird but heres a link to aftermarket pipes 1k per side just for the pipe.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Heat-Exchangers-srch.html

I'm surprised, those are the same price per side as stainless exchangers for air cooled 911s. http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/ssi-exhaust-headers-heat-exchanger-set-911-32l-1984-1989/

I love heat exchangers, though, the outlet air is freaking hot.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

ionn posted:

It wasn't a separate tank, but rather a little bowl inside the tank that you would tip over by turning a handle, to pour the reserve out where it could be used.

I love this concept so much. So much.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Ah, I had the year wrong. Good to know.

And yeah, it was reserve. The fuel gauge on my bus went to "R" about 3 gallons from dry. I'm convinced it's because they wanted to use a shorter, cheaper sender arm that simply wouldn't reach the bottom.

They want people to freak out and run to the gas station instead of running the pump dry and damaging it. You can go a long way even on a modern car with the tank at "E".

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
My dad's neon did that years and years ago. When I got in the car I immediately heard the sloshing and he said he knew but had no idea where it was coming from. I opened up the passenger door, shook it to prove it had water, then dumped a couple of gallons out.

When I think back on that and all the other poo poo those poor neons put up with I'm pretty impressed with how long they lasted. The one of them ran for 40,000 miles with a blown head gasket and mud in the oil and coolant--it only died because the radiator started leaking and all the mud came out on the highway. :(

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Cojawfee posted:

Step 1: Turn off all the spinny things before entering an area with a something with a hose/cord hanging off the back of it.

I'm kind of surprised that there aren't lock-out tag-out procedures on this sort of equipment but I guess I shouldn't be.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Not so uncommon in the automotive manufacturing world.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have finally learned what the hell those vents are for.

I have stood with GM staff in a GM factory looking at GM exhausts with those GM vents on GM parts rack and none of us has understood what they're for.

Figures I would finally learn it on SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

EKDS5k posted:

It's worth mentioning that even though the pressure is massively higher than the air in a tire, hydraulic fluid doesn't store the same energy due to liquid being incompressible. You wouldn't want your bare skin near the bubble (because high pressure oil can inject itself into your skin and kill you), but even if it ruptured it would just splatter oil everywhere and make a mess. It won't explode the same way tires do.

Yep, in construction we can hydrotest water piping right next to ongoing work, but if you're pneumatically testing pipe you need to get everyone out of the area. I had to chew out a mechanical contractor on one of my sites for doing pneumatic testing right over top of ongoing work that actually blew a victaulic fitting apart. loving lunatics, should have thrown them off site and saved myself a lot of trouble but it wasn't my decision.